Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #3521
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Sorry aholbert32. I love you man. You're a great source of information regarding MMA and boxing. I always enjoy your takes and your opinions.
But this is one area we'll have to agree to disagree.

MMA is about being a jack of all trades and a master of none (mostly).
I know he's had substantial work in boxing during the course of his MMA career.
But that's a lot different than devoting your life to one skill.
Sparring is so much different than engaging in a pro bout. Or even an amateur fight.

Connor is an incredible striker in the UFC. But I've heard enough boxing people who've worked with him, or sparred with him, say his boxing is weak; Freddie Roach being one of them.
And a few others have said he didn't have that much power.

Floyd has brittle hands and rarely goes for the knockout. But he's also fighting world class boxing talent.
I don't think Connor has the gas to last 12 rounds. Floyd lives in deep water.
And I do think there is a distinct psychological advantage for Floyd as he's never quit in a fight while Connor has - three times.
Once the mind knows that's an option, it's too easy to reach for it again.

I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Connor bit, kicked, headbutted or elbowed his way to a disqualification after he realizes he's in way, way, waaaaay over his head.

And I would be saying the exact same things if Mayweather were to fight McGregor in an MMA match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #3522
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Also, he tagged Nate Diaz several times square and was unable to put him away. And that's with tiny 4oz gloves. I know Nate is a tough, tough dude. But he's never going to be mistaken for Floyd.

Mayweather will be 100x more elusive. And after Connor misses, he can expect about a dozen punches to come back in return.
And as boxers will tell you, it's the punch you don't see that knocks you out.

How many highly offensive fighters, who had power, suddenly became gunshy when they fought Floyd? All of them.
That's because after the first few offensive fronts, they were potshotted with several counter-punches.
And I stand by my assertion that the JR Middleweight golden gloves champ from any state would dominate Connor in a boxing contest.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #3523
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Sorry aholbert32. I love you man. You're a great source of information regarding MMA and boxing. I always enjoy your takes and your opinions.
But this is one area we'll have to agree to disagree.

MMA is about being a jack of all trades and a master of none (mostly).

I know he's had substantial work in boxing during the course of his MMA career.
But that's a lot different than devoting your life to one skill.
Sparring is so much different than engaging in a pro bout. Or even an amateur fight.

Connor is an incredible striker in the UFC. But I've heard enough boxing people who've worked with him, or sparred with him, say his boxing is weak; Freddie Roach being one of them.
And a few others have said he didn't have that much power.

Floyd has brittle hands and rarely goes for the knockout. But he's also fighting world class boxing talent.
I don't think Connor has the gas to last 12 rounds. Floyd lives in deep water.
And I do think there is a distinct psychological advantage for Floyd as he's never quit in a fight while Connor has - three times.
Once the mind knows that's an option, it's too easy to reach for it again.

I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Connor bit, kicked, headbutted or elbowed his way to a disqualification after he realizes he's in way, way, waaaaay over his head.

And I would be saying the exact same things if Mayweather were to fight McGregor in an MMA match.
Not true at all.

Demian Maia is a master at BJJ and below average in everything else.....he was just the #1 contender for the UFC WW belt.

Alistair Overeem is a world class kickboxer and a below average grappler....multiple time MMA champion and former #1 contender for the UFC HW belt.

I could go on for hours about this. I'm not saying Conor is a master boxer. He's not but he's not a fish out of water either. This isnt like a boxer who's never grappled.

As for Freddie, Freddie talks up whoever pays him. Freddie has been quoted as saying GSP would be a top level boxer if he committed to it which is laughable. But GSP has been paying him to train for years so you get press like that.

The "quit in a fight" line is just BS from Floyd. He got submitted. Damn near every MMA fighter has been submitted in a fight during their career. That doesnt mean he cant survive deep water...it means someone had their arm around his neck choking him unconscious. Floyd would do the same if that happened. HOF James Toney did the same when that happened.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #3524
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Also, he tagged Nate Diaz several times square and was unable to put him away. And that's with tiny 4oz gloves. I know Nate is a tough, tough dude. But he's never going to be mistaken for Floyd.

Mayweather will be 100x more elusive. And after Connor misses, he can expect about a dozen punches to come back in return.
And as boxers will tell you, it's the punch you don't see that knocks you out.

How many highly offensive fighters, who had power, suddenly became gunshy when they fought Floyd? All of them.
That's because after the first few offensive fronts, they were potshotted with several counter-punches.
And I stand by my assertion that the JR Middleweight golden gloves champ from any state would dominate Connor in a boxing contest.
Nate Diaz has arguably the best chin in MMA. 22 UFC bouts with 3/4 against TOP UFC fighters. KO's once and that was because of head kick. The only person to consistently hurt him was Conor. ****, only two people have even knocked Nate down and one of them was Conor. Conor also did that 6 times between the two fights.

Floyd's chin isnt the main reason he survives. Its because he doesnt get hit. Nate does. So talking about Conor's power doesnt really work by comparing the two.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #3525
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Come on man.

Now Conor cant even beat an amateur fighter? LOL.
He never had an amateur fight. When Olympic gold medalist Pete Rademacher used his pro debut to fight Floyd Patterson for the heavyweight championship everyone thought it was a joke even though Pete had a distinguished "non-pro" career. On top of that, he even KOed all his Olympic opponents. He was a 10-1 underdog but despite that, he knocked down Patterson in the second round only to suffer a severe seven knockdown battering where the ref mercifully stopped the fight when the game challenger refused to stay down again (think Paul Newman VS George Kennedy in Cool Hand Luke).

Forget MMA fans betting Conor down. Shouldn't the MMA guy be at least 15-1 or 20-1?

This is just my take. I'd be flabbergasted if Conor even puts up a decent showing. I know aholbert32 hasn't picked Conor to win, but I give him about a 10% chance of looking decent.

Last edited by JayBee74; 08-24-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: "George Kennedy", not "George Newman"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #3526
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
He never had an amateur fight. When Olympic gold medalist Pete Rademacher used his pro debut to fight Floyd Patterson for the heavyweight championship everyone thought it was a joke even though Pete had a distinguished "non-pro" career. On top of that, he even KOed all his Olympic opponents. He was a 10-1 underdog but despite that, he knocked down Patterson in the second round only to suffer a severe seven knockdown battering where the ref mercifully stopped the fight when the game challenger refused to stay down again (think Paul Newman VS George Kennedy in Cool Hand Luke).

Forget MMA fans betting Conor down. Shouldn't the MMA guy be at least 15-1 or 20-1?

This is just my take. I'd be flabbergasted if Conor even puts up a decent showing. I know aholbert32 hasn't picked Conor to win, but I give him about a 10% chance of looking decent.
Sure. I think the odds should be higher. I have an issue with both sides.

I have an issue with MMA fans who think Conor has a higher than 1% chance of beating Floyd.

I also have an issue with boxing fans who think Conor is going to get in the ring, look at his boxing gloves and not know what to do.

My perfect world is one where Conor loses every round but lands a few shots throughout. That way Conor comes back to MMA for the Diaz fight and boxing eliteists have to STFU about how an MMA guy couldnt survive in a boxing ring with an elite fighter.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #3527
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

Quote:
Nate Diaz has arguably the best chin in MMA. 22 UFC bouts with 3/4 against TOP UFC fighters. KO's once and that was because of head kick. The only person to consistently hurt him was Conor. ****, only two people have even knocked Nate down and one of them was Conor. Conor also did that 6 times between the two fights.

Floyd's chin isnt the main reason he survives. Its because he doesnt get hit. Nate does. So talking about Conor's power doesnt really work by comparing the two.
And herein lies the problem.

Floyd does get hit. As elusive as he is, he gets hit a ton.

It's just rarely ever clean.

Guys with way more power than Conor have managed to hit Floyd clean (Mosley).
Guys with way more power than Conor have worked Floyd's body (OscarDLH).

Boxers are used to taking punches. They're used to getting hit but having enough legs under them to not drop.

You can explain better than me why MMA fighters drop so much once hit. I have my theories.

But Conor hitting Floyd and actually doing damage are 2 different things.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #3528
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
My perfect world is one where Conor loses every round but lands a few shots throughout. That way Conor comes back to MMA for the Diaz fight and boxing eliteists have to STFU about how an MMA guy couldnt survive in a boxing ring with an elite fighter.
If Conor loses a one sided decision to Floyd but survives do you think he goes back to MMA?

LOL, the better question is if makes $100 million dollars for this fight would he go back to MMA? Couldn't he go into acting, like take over the Roadhouse remake that Rousey was supposed to do?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »