Home

Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't even look at or consider metacritic.

I thought you were referencing OS, two of the three years 7.5 scores.

I could care less what IGN gives for a score.
I mean I don't either, but we're not talking about our little "Madden/OS" world. We're talking about the reviews that these big wigs look at and what the majority consider. That's what can make a difference.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't even look at or consider metacritic.

I thought you were referencing OS, two of the three years 7.5 scores.

I could care less what IGN gives for a score.
So you do care about what IGN gives?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #27
Banned

TheSaints7's Arena

OVR: 0

Found this.

Review: Madden 15 is Bright & Shiny but Franchise is fatigued
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I mean I don't either, but we're not talking about our little "Madden/OS" world. We're talking about the reviews that these big wigs look at and what the majority consider. That's what can make a difference.
Metacritic effectively runs the game industry.

I don't think that's a good thing, either, but it is what it is.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I read a few reviews late last night (which included a few of the ones that were posted in the OP), and I notice the common theme. There are improvements, but they are not enough. This is always the common thread with Madden. These micro-steps towards a complete and well-implemented football game take WAAAAAAY too long, and with the power of exclusivity, it adds an entitlement to say, "be patient, it takes time" from the developers. a decade is too long to wait just to get the stuff back that we had in past games, and quite frankly, these reviews sound almost like a cut and paste from last year (and the year before). While I can appreciate the passion and effort (and candidness) of Rex and team, the execution is still very lacking. Since Madden is the only football game, I want to see it compared more to its peers like The Show, FIFA, and NBA 2k. The fact that anyone could say that the presentation is on par with NBA 2k and FIFA tells me that they are clearly watching or playing a different game than I am seeing. The commentary in Madden is still bad (this after nearly 4 iterations of the game when we were told this "new technology" would be used"). FIFA has multiple broadcast teams and the banter flows smoothly. NBA 2k has the TNT branding and it replicates quite amazingly. NHL has the real NBC Sports team and branding. What does Madden have, the EA Tiburon Sports network that shows highlights with dead space and zoomed in camera angles that don't allow you to see the play unfold?

Also, in the videos, many OSers were speaking up about the "inaccuracy system" not being prevalent enough and sure enough it's been commented on in a few reviews already. Skyboxer also mentioned it. Eh, I could write so much more, but really I'd just be regurgitating the same stuff I have for 7 years and what good comes out of it?

I just wish the bar would be raised more for this game and the expectations would hold this team more accountable. Reviews are powerful, and this game should never earn anything past a 7 if you were to compare it to not only its peers, but to itself from 2 gens ago and other competing football games of the past. The one thing that can actually gain the ear of the, apparently, tone def EA execs would be review scores and that doesn't happen because they are always inflated. Oh well, hopefully the guys who really enjoy Madden can have a great year with the game. For me, I'm just exasperated and completely worn out with this game. It's like pulling on a rope for 9 years and never being able to gain any ground.
Man oh man you've captured how I feel. Like many here I just want a quality football game. I was playing another sports title, I won't call the name, but there was one play in particular where the WR fumbled the ball, and there was a challenge that he never had possession of the ball. When have you evvvvver heard of this in Madden? I can't even remember the last time I saw a pass interference call. How is that NFL football? How you do create a football game without these basic fundamentals?

The bottom line is there's no other competition, and I found it funny when Rex Dickson called out that other company, cause we all know where we'd be today in football gaming if EA never got the exclusive license. Just look at the state of EA's basketball. It's a real shame the NFL or NFLPA prioritize money over the integrity & quality of their product.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
So you do care about what IGN gives?
Couldn't care less, thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I mean I hate to go by metacritic, but to my understanding it's a culmination of all the scores reviewed by the media, and Madden has scored no lower than a 74, and that was for Madden 06, which we all know was one of the worst Maddens in it's history. All the other games scored in the 80s.
Yeah, that's true, just hoping the Rex's of the world look at all the reviews, the great, good, bad or ugly.

That's how you become better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

From Good Game Bro:

Things that were talked about ad-nausem now appear really improved!

In practice, both the blocking interactions and tackling make for a user experience which better engages the player in the defensive side of the game. In Madden NFL 25 particularly, defense felt like an afterthought and was nowhere near as fun to play or as balanced compared to the offense, which had run blocking and Precision Modifier gameplay controls which led to more shootouts than close games. By contrast, Madden NFL 15 gives defenders a weapon in the “War in the Trenches” to create a more organic pass rush and force quarterbacks into making tougher decisions which enable the linebackers and defensive backs to have more impact on the game. After being frustrated by feeling like my inputs had limited impact on defense in last year’s game, I feel just as engaged on both sides of the ball in Madden NFL 15.

On multiple occasions in last year’s title, I was able to run in excess of 200 yards with a running back with 7 minute quarters on All-Pro because of how poor the end containment was by the AI defense. Madden NFL 15 tightens up this weakness, funneling running backs towards organic holes in the line for more realistic gains (though big plays are still possible). On the same settings, reaching the century mark is a considerable achievement in this year’s game.

The balance of the passing game feels improved as well, with both zone and man coverage's appearing to work with more success year-over-year. Linebackers and defensive backs make smarter reads, and seem more able to get their hands on the ball for deflections and interceptions.

And of course some legacy issues that this team seems intent on fixing in future iterations!

Unfortunately, interactions between wide receivers and defensive backs have still not received much attention; if you’ve been frustrated in the past by receivers not fighting back to break up a potential interception, or by receivers making catches in traffic too frequently while sandwiched between defenders, you’ll find similar results playing out this year. On the same topic, you’ll find little change to the number of penalties and variety of penalties called on default sliders; only penalties occurring as a result of direct user input like offsides and false starts seem to be happening.

To me Madden 15 appears to really tackle a huge thing this year. Defense, and AI. To me this is a huge advancement that we finally are getting after a really tumultuous PS3/360 generation of frustration.

Not only that the game looks absolutely gorgeous, presentation and audio for me has been finally taken to another level of immersing me in the game and feeling like it's a real broadcast (judging by the tons of video I have watched) And CFM continues to evolve with the addition of confidence and game prep.

Madden 15 is truly shaping up to be the best version of this game in it's history and is starting to evolve to compete with other sports games as an overall sports title.

I only see a lot of positives here for Madden fans and those who have stayed away from the game for a long time and want a reason to come back.

You all know how big of a MLB The Show fan/junkie I am.....it's not why I bought a PS4 this past weekend (MLB 14 is a port, a great port....but ultimately a port.)

Madden 15 was the reason. That speaks volumes to how I feel this game is going to be. M25 on PS3 was the first time in 10 years I have played a Madden game year round. When I saw the videos last week of M15....I was doing cart wheels. I was pretty blown away how great it was looking. Now a lot of these reviews are confirming the really important improvements, like AI being much better and defense being dynamic and fun to play!

The game looks AWESOME!!!

And the reviews are very strong. A common theme is really emerging that this game has turned the corner for this console gen and will only get better.

Finally!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 08-21-2014 at 12:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »