Home

Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Metacritic effectively runs the game industry.

I don't think that's a good thing, either, but it is what it is.
Yeah that's my point. That's what these guys look at, and when it comes to Madden, no matter how terrible it's been as a football game, it's never gotten below a good score. It is what it is.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

Somewhat off-topic: I generally advise people to take published game reviews with a grain of salt. Don't look at the score itself. Digest the actual discussion of the game and see if there's any real informative content. Some reviewers may get cut-off from the early release if they give the game a poor review one year. Likewise, a lot of reviewers receive compensation in turn for their positive review, but they won't disclose that fact. Developer bonuses can, in fact, rely on the aggregate scoring of Metacritic, but I'm unsure if that happens at EA/Tiburon.

Trust the people you know who share similar tastes in games and get the goods from them. I'd generally like to see reviewers disclose the number of hours they've played a game prior to reviewing. Reviews usually take place while still in the "honeymoon" phase with the game, when everything seems great, but you haven't exposed the meat of the game yet.

Finally, if you aren't satisfied with the game, you must strongly consider not purchasing it, at least not first-hand. And don't preorder. Ever. Now I'm speaking more in generalities here, but as has already been said by others, without competition, EA has almost no incentive to improve outside of keeping their sales numbers up. If you hurt them in the wallet, they either have to make more of an effort, or drop from the market.

With that all said, one can certainly hope this year's Madden is the best of the bunch, but the reality is, it should be. We have new hardware to work with and many, many years of practice. Of the video I've seen (gameplay aside), the animation and movement seems like the last aesthetic hurdle to clear. If they can't get that stuff right by next year, I'll be very worried.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #35
Rookie

Khanchus's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
I enjoyed the US Gamer review the most, and it wasn't anywhere near as long as some of these other reviews. I feel she captures how a lot of people might feel like after a few weeks with the game. I think our excitement about it being football season again, and just an overwhelming itch for a football game, cause us to have amnesia. I don't deny this game taken a step forward, but it's just that, a step.

Whether we knew in advance or not, we are in the 2nd year of these next gen consoles, still lacking penalties, player movement unchanged, animation quality still lacking. I don't think people would be as hard on the game if we didn't see other sports titles(FIFA, NHL,NBA2K) doing the very things we ask for every year, and doing them well.

It seems like every year I'm telling myself, maybe next year. I just want to play a football game again and not be bored with it after a week or two.
i disagree 100%

never played fifa (i have access and still havent gotten around to play it ) so i cant compare it and also i havent played nhl since like 2000

i agree with you must compare to its other sports genre peers but idk i dont wanna get off topic and make this another 2k vs madden thread

but from the review scores they all seem in relevant range of each other so thats a great sign

i dont really read in to reviews especially this yr because i pretty much know everything i need to know about the game already

so much info and videos have been release i can basically write my own review but i needs my hands on time before i give a real opinion
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #36
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Yeah that's my point. That's what these guys look at, and when it comes to Madden, no matter how terrible it's been as a football game, it's never gotten below a good score. It is what it is.
I mean, in order for a game's Metacritic score to be high, it has to get a bunch of good reviews, which means the game has to provide an enjoyable experience in the first place, speaking holistically. The critical consensus for the past umpteen years is that Madden has provided an enjoyable experience as a football-themed video game.

With the exception of maybe XBOX 360 Madden NFL 06 or the mobile platform derivatives, there's never been a point in history where the critical consensus of Madden is that "it's terrible".
Old 08-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #37
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanchus
i disagree 100%

never played fifa (i have access and still havent gotten around to play it ) so i cant compare it and also i havent played nhl since like 2000

i agree with you must compare to its other sports genre peers but idk i dont wanna get off topic and make this another 2k vs madden thread

but from the review scores they all seem in relevant range of each other so thats a great sign

i dont really read in to reviews especially this yr because i pretty much know everything i need to know about the game already

so much info and videos have been release i can basically write my own review but i needs my hands on time before i give a real opinion
I feel you. The reviews have been close in terms of the score/rating. I really value the thoughts & opinions of you all in OS because I know most of you are hardcore Madden heads and want the best game possible. After you've had the game for about week or two, I'd be real interested to hear your thoughts and see if they don't line with up with the review from US Gamer.

Last edited by adub88; 08-21-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 0

Madden is years behind other sports games but yet their review scores will be on par with those superior sports titles because those games have set the bar so high for themselves and are being judge on a higher standard, that's what I don't like.
For example, Fifa and NBA 2K have almost completely eliminated foot sliding from their games, which is hard to do in a video game, but yet Madden players skate around everywhere and no one dings them on it in reviews. Madden's play as a player mode has seen minium upgrades since it was implemented and no one says anything but NBA 2K which overhauled their MyPlayer mode gets bashed because its scripted. And I don't even want to get into animations, we all know Madden is the worst (maybe with the exception of NBA Live) but somehow these things get ignored in Madden reviews but other games get dinged on these things, imagine if only one player had a tattoo in UFC or WWE, their would be an uproar but Madden somehow gets a pass. This is why most Madden reviews are skewed high, only being compared to itself.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #39
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
Madden is years behind other sports games but yet their review scores will be on par with those superior sports titles because those games have set the bar so high for themselves and are being judge on a higher standard, that's what I don't like.
For example, Fifa and NBA 2K have almost completely eliminated foot sliding from their games, which is hard to do in a video game, but yet Madden players skate around everywhere and no one dings them on it in reviews. Madden's play as a player mode has seen minium upgrades since it was implemented and no one says anything but NBA 2K which overhauled their MyPlayer mode gets bashed because its scripted. And I don't even want to get into animations, we all know Madden is the worst (maybe with the exception of NBA Live) but somehow these things get ignored in Madden reviews but other games get dinged on these things, imagine if only one player had a tattoo in UFC or WWE, their would be an uproar but Madden somehow gets a pass. This is why most Madden reviews are skewed high, only being compared to itself.
I don't know about FIFA, but NBA 2k14 current gen has plenty of foot sliding, especially on defense. The game forum threads talk about it a lot. One of the things people are beginning to be excited about is that the devs claim this has been addressed a lot for this year's game.

Not defending Madden one way or another, just saying, NBA 2k14 did not by any stretch of the imagination eliminate sliding.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #40
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I don't know about FIFA, but NBA 2k14 current gen has plenty of foot sliding, especially on defense. The game forum threads talk about it a lot. One of the things people are beginning to be excited about is that the devs claim this has been addressed a lot for this year's game.

Not defending Madden one way or another, just saying, NBA 2k14 did not by any stretch of the imagination eliminate sliding.
I believe Mr. Smif meant that foot sliding has been eliminated from NBA 2K15 coming up in October. Getting rid of foot sliding has been a point of sell for 2K so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »