Home

Target Passing In SIM Mode

This is a discussion on Target Passing In SIM Mode within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should target passing in Sim Mode be tuned to take into account QB's accuracy att?
Yes 100 90.09%
No 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Target Passing In SIM Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
If the feature is a hard as it's been said to be it would be unusable for all back up quarterbacks ( and lower tiered starting QBs ) in the game. If it's really hard to use you the feature with Brady, and the feature is based on ratings, it will be impossible to with Gabbert.

Ratings exist in sports games to make it harder to be effective with a lower rated player than a higher rated one. While target passing may be just as easy to use with Gabbert as it is with Brady, it still doesn't make as easy to be as effective with Gabbert. To consistently throw dots with Gabbert you're forced to use target passing. With Brady you just have to press a button.
Aren't certain juke and spin animations only available for elite players above 90? In SIM mode, Target passing could be relegated to only elite passers. That could be one of the things that sets them apart.

Ignoring ratings is not sim.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #90
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiied
Kicking field goals on all madden shouldn't be tied to kick power or kick accuracy. It's already very difficult to use effectively without a lot of practice. /s

We're talking about sim here, ratings are supposed to matter.
I'd love the option for real FG%, like the NBA 2K series. It's essentially what our current throwing system is...so why not kicking?

Well even if it is the CPU already doesn't showcase that very well if we'd kick like them...

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #91
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
We have three modes now. No offense, but the attitude you take is a casual one. If that's your thought process play on competitive or arcade. Really, the mode were talking about is "sim." Ratings don't have to matter on competitive and people could use that if they don't like it on sim. I will definitely use it if ratings matter and so will 90 percent of the people that voted on this forum. It's not a one size fits all issue anymore. The logic has been laid out for each case and we have different modes to accommodate both.

PS. Green blood I meant to quote your post but didn't, sorry

Sent from my XT1585 using Operation Sports mobile app
In your opinion my attitude is a casual one. In your mind ( it seems ) that target passing not being tied to ratings means that ratings don't matter, but target passing doesn't negate the disadvantage of playing with Garoppolo rather than Brady. Yes, using the feature is as easy with Garoppolo as it is with Brady, but the feature isn't something you're going to be able to use every down. You can't throw on the run with the feature; you can't move at all if I'm not mistaken while the feature is turned on. There will be times where you have to turn the feature off to scramble, roll out of the pocket, or to throw the ball to another receiver with normal passing. It's likely that even people who master this feature will still have to pass without target passing where they'll be subject to the quarterback's accuracy rating.

Target Passing is meant to create a skill-gap, but it's seems as if many here ( that want the feature to be tied to ratings ) don't want a skill gap in simulation mode. It seems as if a skill gap to many on here isn't "sim" and they'd rather have a ceiling placed on performance rather than a handicap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #92
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

We want the skill gap to be based on who we are controlling, not based on who is controlling the controller.

We just want a different type of skill gap

I don't want my skill to override the ratings. I want a balance. We might just have a different view of the balance we desire.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #93
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

Quote:
Kicking field goals on all madden shouldn't be tied to kick power or kick accuracy. It's already very difficult to use effectively without a lot of practice. /s

We're talking about sim here, ratings are supposed to matter.
That's a poor analogy. Not tying field goal kicks to kicking accuracy makes the accuracy rating for kickers pointless. The user isn't subject to the kickers's accuracy ratings at all. In target passing, since it difficult to use and likely impossible to use every single down, the user is still subject to the quarterback's accuracy rating.

Target passing does not make the quarterback's accuracy rating irrelevant. If the quarterback has a low accuracy rating the user with still have to deal with that low accuracy rating.

You will still be at a disadvantage if you starting quarterback goes down. You will still have to consider the depth chart at the quarterback position in CFM.

It really comes down to people ( most of the people in this thread ) preferring a performance ceiling in sim mode rather than a handicap.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #94
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

Quote:
Aren't certain juke and spin animations only available for elite players above 90? In SIM mode, Target passing could be relegated to only elite passers. That could be one of the things that sets them apart.

Ignoring ratings is not sim.
It probably wouldn't even be worth it to implement a feature that can't even be used by a majority of quarterbacks in the game.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #95
Rookie

One thing I think is that almost quarterback have the capability of make very precision shots with no pressure (see dudeperfect video below, Jhonny Manziel, a not good QB for nfl that can make those shots, and I know they film various shots and only put the highlights, but this is just to show what he can do without pressure) .

As a former amateur Wr, I can say that except for 3 step routes (which timing make almost impossible to use target passing), the WR have to adjust to almost every pass beyond 15-20 yards. Not because of bad precision, but mainly because some things affect the QB during the game. For those who plays, go away 30, 40 yards on the field and ask for your teammate pass to you, I guarantee he will hit you.

But in the game two things enter in consideration:
- The pressure, that affect how your QB can see you and set his feet properly and deliver the full motion of throw.
- The timing, that even throwing exact at the spot he want, QB can completely miss the WR due to bad location based on WR position.

After seeing the mechanic, I would be glad to have some ratings to mather on precision passing but, two of principal things that disrupt the passes will still be present on the game. Pass rush will affect you and your timing will affect you. Don't expect to take control of an player and the result of the play don't be affected by your skills because it's not what videogames are made for. Specially speaking about timing of those passes, is you choosing where and when the ball will go, not the awr of cpu doing this. I can see people making the point for tangible (accuracy) ratings mather, but we can never replicate the intangible ratings when the user take control of a player.

https://youtu.be/n58bFRauLL4

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #96
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
That's a poor analogy. Not tying field goal kicks to kicking accuracy makes the accuracy rating for kickers pointless. The user isn't subject to the kickers's accuracy ratings at all. In target passing, since it difficult to use and likely impossible to use every single down, the user is still subject to the quarterback's accuracy rating.

Target passing does not make the quarterback's accuracy rating irrelevant. If the quarterback has a low accuracy rating the user with still have to deal with that low accuracy rating.

You will still be at a disadvantage if you starting quarterback goes down. You will still have to consider the depth chart at the quarterback position in CFM.

It really comes down to people ( most of the people in this thread ) preferring a performance ceiling in sim mode rather than a handicap.
A performance ceiling is needed. When ratings are that ceiling than roster management becomes so much more rewarding within CFM. That's sim, and that's what most here want.

So say you only use target passing 5-7 times a game after you've gotten to the point where you know how to use it and what routes to use it on.

That's 80 to 112 passes per quarterback where ratings aren't taken into account. For most quarterbacks that's roughly 20 percent of their passes.

That's not ideal within a CFM if you want your roster management to truly matter at the most important position on the field. It's a big deal for CFm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »