Home

Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay System

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay System within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #49
MVP

Chiefsfan881129's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - FieldSENSE Deep Dive

This Stinks really wish EA would have remastered his commentary for entire game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
For the Pro Bowl opening, not for the rest of the game.
Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Kansas #1 KC ChiefsFan!
Kansas #1 KU Basketball Fan!
Kansas #1 Boston Redsox Fan!
Kansas #1 K-State Football Fan!
Kansas #1 OKC Thunder Fan!

Home Of Madden Cover Barry Sanders! Go Chiefs!
Old 06-07-2022, 01:02 AM   #50
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
After watching the video I can see some differences and improvements I like and I was starting to get excited until the end of the video said the Field Sense deal is only available on the next gen consoles. That's a major bummer to me.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 06-07-2022, 02:43 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay Syst

Great,they going right back to a zillion pick 6's in Madden 23. I hate that so much since it happens just a few times throughout a whole season. But on madden 23 it will happen half the games now(again)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2022, 05:48 PM   #52
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay Syst

It looks ok...

I just care about improving the weak Franchise Mode, that is the only way I will buy.
Needs to be like NBA 2Ks MyLeague with all the customization and features.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:10 PM   #53
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - FieldSENSE Deep Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefsfan881129
This Stinks really wish EA would have remastered his commentary for entire game...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app
Yea this so disappointing! When I first heard there would be Madden audio in I was excited. But just for one mode?!?!

I've already said this but it would have been so cool if commentary was Madden/Summerall.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #54
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
And I'm worried that the CPU won't utilize this new passing tool which will lead to an even great imbalance between the user and CPU's ability on the field. If I have the power to make all of these throws, but the CPU still throws the ball the same way they have the last 10+ years, then that is a huge letdown.

This new passing mechanic looks like the future of the series, but the ratings NEED to matter, at least on simulation mode, and the CPU has to utilize the new mechanic as well.

The thing is, this isn't something that would be that complicated for the CPU to use. The game already calculates the catch radius, all players' locations on the field, and it knows where the boundaries are. It would not be much work for a programmer worth their salt to create a system where the CPU sees the radius, sees the location of the WR and defender(s), and calculates the optimal location, velocity, and arch to use to be successful. Once the throw is determined, you can still use the accuracy ratings to dictate how on target the throw is. You can use the awareness rating to dictate how accurate they see the catch radius circle and how often they make the most optimal throw.

This is potentially revolutionary for the CPU passing attack, but I've seen zero mention they use the system. Right now, the system is archaic and the CPU simply reads if a WR is open based on the distance between the WR and the defender(s) nearby, then it throws a pass tethered to the route. It never uses the lead feature like the user. If you have 1 WR and 1 DB and run the same route combo 1,000 times over, it will lead the throw the same way every single time under the current system.

With the game already tracking the players' locations, and now calculating the catch radius, it's relatively simple math for the game to also calculate where the most optimal throw(s) is/are. We NEED the CPU to use this feature. That alone could be a gigantic change in how the CPU QB's play. It would be a gigantic change to the threat of the CPU offense. It completely changes how the user would have to think and play on defense.

Right now we can run a handful of coverages that basically trick the algorithm into thinking no WR is open. This leads to sacks or interceptions depending on what QB action is rolled. If this system was implemented for the CPU, they'd be able to see windows in a more dynamic and more authentic way and could place balls in a position that beats even good coverage, which is exactly what elite QB's do.

I want to play Brady or Rodgers and see them throw a dime into coverage that was so good that only the WR had a chance to get their hands on it. That's what makes both of them so special. In Madden, those two are only slightly better than the average Joe at QB, and their high awareness ratings can actually make them play worse as it can be wonky and is a big reason why they will throw the underneath route over and over and finish games with 85% accuracy and only 6.1 Yards/Attempt. It's because they are tuned to see the "open" man quicker and that means the underneath routes are seen as open before the deeper routes even develop and that's why you see them go to the TE on the drag route for 3 yards over and over and over and over.

If Madden 23 was Madden 22 and the only thing that changed was this passing mechanic was implemented AND the CPU used it. That would make Madden 23 one of the best football games of all time simply because the CPU QB play would virtually be unmatched by any other existing football game, EA or 2k, and that's even with the pocket avoidance issues, the scrambling issues, etc. If they simply were tuned to read who was open in a new dynamic way and started throwing passes they've never attempted before, that change alone takes Madden up several notches.
I agree that the CPU should take advantage of this but I don't think doing it well is as easy as you make it out to be.

The first thought I had was a reemergence of RoboQB, where the CPU would know exactly what throw to make given the situation.

Beyond that, not all QBs make the same type of throws or make them at the same rate.

To do it well, EA would really need to revamp QB play which would probably take a full dev cycle.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Darkside
I agree that the CPU should take advantage of this but I don't think doing it well is as easy as you make it out to be.

The first thought I had was a reemergence of RoboQB, where the CPU would know exactly what throw to make given the situation.

Beyond that, not all QBs make the same type of throws or make them at the same rate.

To do it well, EA would really need to revamp QB play which would probably take a full dev cycle.
It actually isn't that complicated. EA already has all of the data being tracked that is necessary, the only change, simplistically, would be to no longer have the CPU QB throws be tethered to the route, but to give them the ability to throw to any blade of grass within or outside of the catch radius.

Let me use some quality art to demonstrate this. Below is what Madden does right now. It tracks the player positions, sees who is open, and throws it along their route.

Currently Madden sees the WR has x amount of space between him and the nearest defender(s) and categorizes him as open, then the QB throws the pass along his route, in this case he attempts to hit him in stride on the in route.

This is how the CPU QB's have worked for a very long time. It makes sense. It's also dated.

Below is what EA can give the CPU the ability to see if they made the requested changes.

In the image above, let's assume the WR is sort of squatting as if he has turned around from a curl route. We see where he is, we see where the DB is lingering, and we see the catch radius that we know the game tracks already. What is new to the equation is what our brains already calculate and is something these systems could calculate 1,000 times over for all targets on the field every second without breaking a sweat if they wanted to. It's where the QB should throw the ball to guarantee the WR can reach the throw and to have the smallest chance of the DB getting to the ball if thrown accurately.

What's new in this scenario is the CPU QB no longer throws the ball in a way that is tethered to the route. They now use the already tracked player position data and the already tracked catch radius and a simple math algorithm says throw the ball here for the most optimal result. Now the QB is throwing the ball based off of the WR catch radius, not the outdated tethered way.

These types of calculations are nothing to process and can be done many times over per fraction of a second. You could literally have the 50 most optimal throws for each WR be calculated 100 times over per second and your console won't break a sweat. And if you are calculating 50 throws, that means some of them will likely be very poor decisions and when you use the QB ratings like awareness and have it roll what throw they make, this means the poorly rated QB's will make bad throws like in real life, and the guys like Aaron Rodgers are going to make the most optimal throws over and over and you'll just sit there in amazement when he throws a fade in the back of the end zone that was so perfect that no coverage could have stopped it and that is something the CPU has never had the ability to do.

If EA can open it up to where the CPU QB's now pass the ball based on the catch radius and are no longer tethered to the route only, then the passing game will be revolutionized in this series. The calculations that are needed are not complex and the game already tracks all of the necessary data and already does most of the work needed right now.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #56
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
After watching the video I can see some differences and improvements I like and I was starting to get excited until the end of the video said the Field Sense deal is only available on the next gen consoles. That's a major bummer to me.
you can buy cheaper xbox console is Xbox series S that available everywhere : Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »