Home

Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay System

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay System within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - FieldSENSE Deep Dive

so isn't the 360 cut thing just bringing back the precision modifier from madden 20?

also the whole thing where they say it gives you more control to interact with the ball as a defender, why would you ever want to do anything but that super precise ball swat?
Old 06-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay Syst

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
In specific: unlike the system built into Madden 23, Target Passing in Madden 18 wasn’t tethered to a receiver at all, was extremely difficult to use, and offered no control over accuracy.

In general: I take issue with the whole “rehashing features” tenor some posters are taking. People really need to stop getting hung up on “they already changed this in a past game”. Better technology paired with more time to iterate game designs leads to better versions of existing systems to replace old ones. Better systems generally makes the experience of playing the game better.

Like, I have not yet played the beta and I have seen maybe sixty seconds of uncut gameplay footage of Madden 23, but I can immediately see how the Hit Everything part of Tiburon’s FieldSense system allows for more gameplay outcomes with branching animations, more opportunities for collisions to trigger player ratings checks, and a greater possibility space in outcomes of collisions. Of specific interest to me with this tech is the increase in variety of add-on tackles and (separately) defenders’ increased ability to challenge receivers at the catch point; the things I have seen Hit Everything do in these two cases, albeit in very controlled footage so far, simply are not possible in previous Madden games. Objectively evaluated, it is an improvement to Madden.

It is entirely possible and also likely that Hit Everything does not redefine the entire experience of playing Madden football! At the same time, dismissing Hit Everything just a re-hash of Pro-Tak / Infinity Engine / whatever other buzzword has been used in the past is deliberately obfuscating the details of the changes on offer.
Its not that "they already changed this in a past game" and you know that. For you to portray it as overly simplistic as that is disingenuous at best.

The issue I specifically have with the rehashing of old features is multifaceted:

-Its the same marketing pitch each time. For example every time they make a change to passing we get some variation of now having the control to put the ball where we want. Seems like every 3 years they tout that as a new feature. So what the last ~3 times you told me I had total control of ball placement that wasn't true? So why should I believe it now? Same for physics based tackles. We're getting the same lines now we got 3 years ago. With that track record why should I believe the hype this time?

-In theory you are right about the benefits of iterative design and how each can build on one another. But in Madden's case I don't think that is the case. Time and time again Madden has repeated the same pattern: poorly implement a new feature, fail to support said feature over the following releases, replace it with another poorly implemented feature. All the while other areas of the game see little to no improvement.

-Its not obfuscating, its pointing out the pattern of the Madden marketing machine. Too many times people buy into the marketing or fall victim to thinking "what could be" only to end up disappointed because the final product fails to meet their expectations. Ultimately I'm willing to bet that field sense changes little beyond seeing a handful of different animations in a game compared to last year. Its been the same story for going on 15 years now. Small incremental improvements that are disappointing over a release cycle but as a silver lining you hope these incremental improvements position the game to make larger strides in the short future. Those larger strides never happen though.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:11 PM   #35
Rookie

DoctorGoodjob's Arena

Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - Full Details on the New FieldSENSE Gameplay Syst

I’m just an old NCAA player that’s keeping up with Madden to see what might be coming to NCAA 23… but one thing is confusing me. Did they take out the ability to lead your WRs with the left stick in the last decade? I feel like I can already do a lot of those throws in NCAA 14 so I am a little confused!

The 360 cutting looks nice, as long as it actually slows you down a tad. I hate watching videos where people basically abuse the movement in these games and do quick left/right movements to make the Defender take terrible angles or straight up run past you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #36
Rookie

SOU7GLO's Arena

Re: Madden NFL 23 Gameplay Trailer - FieldSENSE Deep Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
For the Pro Bowl opening, not for the rest of the game.

Lol the pro bowl…smh
Old 06-06-2022, 08:43 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGoodjob
I’m just an old NCAA player that’s keeping up with Madden to see what might be coming to NCAA 23… but one thing is confusing me. Did they take out the ability to lead your WRs with the left stick in the last decade? I feel like I can already do a lot of those throws in NCAA 14 so I am a little confused!

The 360 cutting looks nice, as long as it actually slows you down a tad. I hate watching videos where people basically abuse the movement in these games and do quick left/right movements to make the Defender take terrible angles or straight up run past you.
They nerfed the ability to lead a WR big time the last couple of years.

If ratings dictate the accuracy of your throw with this new system AND the CPU uses it, this could be a significant change for the series.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGoodjob

As far as I can tell they changed the way leading a receiver works. Whereas it use to be dictated by ratings and how hard you led the receiver (there's some math to it but basically the more you tried to lead a receiver the greater the likelihood of an errant throw, multiplied by QB rating). Now it seems to be more user-skill based. Again there will be some math to it and I don't know the details there. Like is it entirely user-skill (i.e. meter dependent) or will ratings play a part and if so to what extent.

Think its a safe bet to assume that this will result in no functional change to AI passing.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #39
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Its the same marketing pitch each time. For example every time they make a change to passing we get some variation of now having the control to put the ball where we want. Seems like every 3 years they tout that as a new feature. So what the last ~3 times you told me I had total control of ball placement that wasn't true? So why should I believe it now? Same for physics based tackles. We're getting the same lines now we got 3 years ago. With that track record why should I believe the hype this time?
If you believe marketing is outright lying to you, stop listening to it?

You've been here long enough that you know the song and dance with annual licensed sports games; they iteratively improve systems each year, because that's all they can do on account of the pressure created by the annual development cycle. The changes between individual versions are often in the margins, but those changes accumulate over time. The difference between multiple versions of the game is often tremendous, and unless you stubbornly hold the most pessismistic view point possible that indeed holds true for Madden.

To reiterate a thing I've said earlier - I've played literally zero of Madden 23 and I've only watched what limited uncut gameplay footage there is available, yet it is extremely obvious to me that Madden 23's new passing mechanics are not Madden 18 Target Passing, which was an unusable prototype. It is extremely obvious to me that Madden 23 Hit Everything is not the Infinity Engine. This doesn't take a tremendous amount of brainpower to honestly and objectively assess what's new and different. This is not to say any one of these new things is a be-all end-all game changer, but the changes are very immediate and obvious if you actually identify and assess them.

Quote:
Those larger strides never happen though.
I challenge you to go put Madden 18 in your console, play it for a bit, then come back and tell me you honestly still believe this. I didn't even like or play Madden 22 that much, but it's still the best Madden game available by a significant margin.

If Madden never got better in any regard ever, us die-hard fans writing on this niche message board wouldn't keep buying the new versions each year.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #40
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
They nerfed the ability to lead a WR big time the last couple of years.

If ratings dictate the accuracy of your throw with this new system AND the CPU uses it, this could be a significant change for the series.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That's the thing though with the new futures. The CPU either doesn't utilize them or isn't aware these gameplay systems are in place so it destroys their ability to do certain things such as run the ball when true step was announced.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »