Home

Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

This is a discussion on Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside). within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
Pro

ballin095's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

Also regarding sliders. I actually have my pitcher control/consistency for CPU pitchers at 0, and even with these settings, I still see pitches with weak ratings pitching as though they are aces.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin095
Also regarding sliders. I actually have my pitcher control/consistency for CPU pitchers at 0, and even with these settings, I still see pitches with weak ratings pitching as though they are aces.
once again you fail to realize the influence sliders have, just because set to zero does not mean every pitch is going to be a ball
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13

I agree, but the difference between '0' and '10' should be larger and more distinct. And that's what the OP is saying. Also, another problem with this is that with Control at '0', that indicates more spots being missed. But, what I've seen is a missed spot in The Show indicates a meatball, hence more strikes being able to be thrown at '0'.

Yet, I also agree with the OP. A Pitcher at 0 (or 20, whatever it may be) should not be able to hit his spots AS FREQUENTLY as one with 100.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #20
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

The thing with ratings is that they're meant for the long run instead of one-game spurts. Great pitchers can have terrible games and bad pitchers can have pinpoint control if they've got everything going for them. Same with hitters.

A pitcher with terrible control might average 5 or so walks per nine innings... but that does not mean every game he will walk 4-5 batters, but he'll have games where he'll walk 2 or 3, then once in a while have good command and might not walk none, but will also have games where he can't find the plate at an above 55% clip (MLB average is somewhere above 60%, if your a starter and you can't somehow be around that percentage, you're eventually a long-reliever or out of baseball).

For hitting the corners, hmm... maybe consistency affects that a bit more than control... however my slider settings have control and strike frequency down and consistency up.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 05-06-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #21
Pro

ballin095's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsareBugs
The thing with ratings is that they're meant for the long run instead of one-game spurts. Great pitchers can have terrible games and bad pitchers can have pinpoint control if they've got everything going for them. Same with hitters.

A pitcher with terrible control might average 5 or so walks per nine innings... but that does not mean every game he will walk 4-5 batters, but he'll have games where he'll walk 2 or 3, then once in a while have good command and might not walk none, but will also have games where he can't find the plate at an above 55% clip (MLB average is somewhere above 60%, if your a starter and you can't somehow be around that percentage, you're eventually a long-reliever or out of baseball).

For hitting the corners, hmm... maybe consistency affects that a bit more than control... however my slider settings have control and strike frequency down and consistency up.
The problem is that every game on the show is like this, regardless of difficulty.
There is no reason why every game I play against a weak pitcher is he pitching as though an ace. No reason what so ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
The problem is that every game on the show is like this, regardless of difficulty.
There is no reason why every game I play against a weak pitcher is he pitching as though an ace. No reason what so ever.
There are several things your forgetting about. Even if this Joe Random has "no-stats", you are taking pitches in your video thus the AI sees your lack of aggressiveness and sees no problem with just leaving it in the plate. I've noticed the release points on Mr. Random were more early or late and along with other factors, who knows where his pitches were supposed to be at. Pitches down the middle get smoked if you hit them, but to assume that a pitcher will have less than a 50% strike rate because you take every pitch is a flawed assumption, because you are taking out half of the batter-pitcher equation. You hit a couple of pitches and get a few hits, then you'll start noticing him getting rattled more easily than say... Roy Halladay. He will start missing wildly outside the zone because he wants to avoid grooving his pitches, and he'll either leave meatballs over the middle or miss wildly because he doesn't have the command to his the corners.

Your last two sentences aren't true unless you or I have a flawed copy, because even though I might face a #4 or #5 (because this game wasn't intended for players with zero ratings) that have shut down my lineup (as weak as it is being the Padres), not all of them are consistently good and one game Mr. Chris Capuano can shut me down for 7 innings, but in the second and third time I faced him he failed to get past the 3rd inning in one walking 4 batters and giving up 5 hits before getting yanked, and pitching only 5 innings, allowing 7 hits, no walks, no strikeouts, and 2 home runs.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 05-06-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Not sure if this is serious?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Sounds like you just need to get better at hitting.

There is no such thing as a zero rated professional pitcher. Do you want them up there throwing balls that bounce 8 times before it gets to the plate? No, so why even try and program that? A zero rated pitcher is still going to look like a pitcher, but someone that actually knows how to hit will kill him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »