Home

Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

This is a discussion on Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside). within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

pretty bad experiment.
Everything was on rookie.
Half of Joe'e pitches were in the middle of the plate. Anyone who was decent on this game would kill him.
small sample size. You pitch two innings and think that proves something? It does not
Regarding your comment about how weird it is that fielders always know where the ball will land...do you watch baseball?

What should we expect? This?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Two flaws with your experiment to start.

H/ are basically for SIMMED GAMES.

....and there is no true zero for ratings. That just represents SCEA's lowest number of which there is no "none". I believe it is 20 or 25(as a representative #)...as they feel no athlete can truly be a "zero" in any aspect of the game.

M.K.
Knight165
Are you saying all the /9 pitcher attributes are for simmed games only? I thought I read a dev post stating the /9 attributes are more meaningful in-game attributes than individual pitch ratings.....with the exception of HR/9 which is largely for sim purposes.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelictojama
That would be my first reaction. Don't most people who use sliders turn the pitcher control/ consistency / strikes thrown sliders way down to like 2 or 3? I know I do, and most of the slider sets I've used and seen do the same. For me, that results in a realistic variety of aces dominating/struggling, lesser guys getting hot but then hanging one, and even a few (still not enough) wild pitches and hit batters and guys completely falling apart and not being able to find the zone and stuff like that. So yeah, I'd agree, sliders help.
No one is saying pitchers in general shouldn't be slightly more wild, have more uncontrollable walk-fits, or give up more varied walks in general (4-5 pitchers, anyway).

I'm saying that the test is flawed. Rookie level does not accurately represent BB:K ratios. It's not supposed to (which is a debate within itself regarding rookie level pitching AI).

And not swinging compounds the issue because the AI is adaptive.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
MVP

Also, if ratings didn't matter:

Why is CC Sabathia 7-0 in my Franchise with a absurdly low ERA, while Nova is over 5.50???

Why does Brett Gardner have 1 HR to Texiera's 10?

Why does Rivera have an ERA near 2.00 and Aardsma have an ERA near 6.00?

Why is Gardner second in the league in SB?

Why is Nick Swisher second on my team in BB's?

Why am I 1st place in the AL East?

Why is Derek Jeter out for 2 months with an injury?

I'm all about a discussion because the OP makes some good points, but the "always" and "nevers" are flat out born from frustration. Not level-headedness.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
The logic behind this thread and the associated "experiment" are greatly flawed.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13

OK, we get that the 'experiment' is flawed. We can all stop saying that. It's like beating a dead horse and giving no input.

But, like H&V said, the OP has a valid argument. A Pitcher with '0' attributes should be more wild, more able to have those wild fits. He should still throw strikes but the fact that he is '0' should be more distinct.

Last edited by RGmoney; 05-06-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Let's keep political figures & references out of this thread
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveForThis
OK, we get that the 'experiment' is flawed. We can all stop saying that. It's like beating a dead horse and giving no input.

But, like H&V said, the OP has a valid argument. A Pitcher with '0' attributes should be more wild, more able to have those wild fits. He should still throw strikes but the fact that he is '0' should be more distinct.
I'm only saying that (A) bouts of ball throwing wildness could use some refining moving forward and (B) I think that opinion relates to the OP's overall point...

But in NO WAY does his test reflect that or support my personal view on meatball vs obvious ball frequency. Not whatsoever. There's so many assumptions and absolutes in his video that I do not want anyone to misinterpret a notion that I in some way agree with Ballin on this. I do not. Though he does open/continue a discussion that I'd like to have over in General on OS.

But tests like this do no good on matters like these.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 05-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
Rookie

tytyboogie's Arena

OVR: 0

[quote=heroesandvillians;2043636934]Also, if ratings didn't matter:

Why is CC Sabathia 7-0 in my Franchise with a absurdly low ERA, while Nova is over 5.50???

Why does Brett Gardner have 1 HR to Texiera's 10?

Why does Rivera have an ERA near 2.00 and Aardsma have an ERA near 6.00?

Why is Gardner second in the league in SB?

Why is Nick Swisher second on my team in BB's?

Why am I 1st place in the AL East?

wow so your using aardsma I see?using your full pen with joba mo and feliciano too? U myst have a amazing bullpen era goin....im tempted but go with the manually injury rout

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »