Home

MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017

This is a discussion on MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #25
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame8544
Would you be interested in adding them to OSFM Hybrid? I haven't heard from Houston, another poster that does pitch edits, and have yet to see his spreadsheet that has the ratings. I'd love to have someone on the team to specialize in that area, so let me know if you are interested.
If I have the spare time, I would be happy to help. Just keep me posted about when you would need my help. I will try and carve out some spare time between the wife and kids. :-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Here are a couple of updates...

I updated the following pitchers:

Kyle Freeland - Colorado Rockies
Amir Garrett - Cincinnati Reds Added Circle Change as 3rd pitch
Antonio Senzatela - Colorado Rockies

I added Jordan Montgomery to the Yankees now that he has some data after 3 starts.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear

3) These following comments/observations deal with what is mostly a gray area. There are some curveballs that could be thought of as 12-6 (Arrieta, Fiers, Snell etc..)--I used >8 inches of Vmov with <4 inches of Hmov to define a 12-6 vs regular curveball. The distinction between a 2SM and a SNK is never easy to figure out. Most 2SM can probably be classified as a SNK or vice versa, whether you want to do it by grip or preference. Another piece of gray area is what to classify as pitch #1 when a guy throws his slider or changeup a bit more often than his fastball (i.e. Felix Hernandez in this data set). I would tend to keep the fastball as pitch #1 unless there was a huge difference with the pitcher throwing offspeed a lot more often. But, again, this is very open to interpretation.
I usually do my own pitch edits for myself and a few of my friends and I figured I would chime in with some unasked for help on these points

There is a lot of valuable (if you trust them) data on the home page of the brooks player card. In addition to if a guy throws a knuckle curve or regular curve (which I have contemplated ignoring and going only by break) they also tell you tendency's of a players pitch. For example, if they say the sinker is "a real worm killer" I make it a sinker regardless of break. Likewise if they say it generates more fly balls than a regular sinker I make it a 2SFB. If both the sinker and 4SFB generate a lot of ground balls, then I make the 4SFB a 2SFB in the game. I forget the ratio I used on curveballs to decide but it involved horizontal movement divided by vertical. If it was extremely horizontal it's sweeping (say 2x more horizontal than vertical), extremely vertical was 12-6 and regular old curveball in the middle.

It's also funny that you guy's use 4 and 8 as your running fastball threshold... Mine is 6 I do usually leave a fastball type pitch as pitch 1 unless it is a big difference.

Always like seeing what the other stat nerds like me use for the pitch edits. I don't think any of us are really wrong just different interpretations of the same number.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #28
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

I just added a Slider as pitch #2 for Dylan Bundy of the Orioles. He did not throw his Slider last year but started throwing it again this year and so far he has had very good results.

If you notice another pitcher that added or dropped a particular pitch please let me know and I will update my spreadsheet.

If you look in the vault, mtorrey32 was nice enough to imput my pitch edits into one of the OSFM rosters. Check it out.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #29
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

When inputting in how do you take the decimals in effect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #30
MVP

redsoxfan31's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
When inputting in how do you take the decimals in effect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
This is just my personal way of doing it and it may be wrong but it seems to work for me. If the pitch speed given is 93.56, I will go to 93 and then count how many ticks it takes to get to 94. If it takes me 8 ticks to get to 94 I will then go back to 93 and go up 4 ticks so it's "93.5"
NBA: BOSTON CELTICS
NFL: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
NHL: BOSTON BRUINS

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Old 05-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #31
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan31
This is just my personal way of doing it and it may be wrong but it seems to work for me. If the pitch speed given is 93.56, I will go to 93 and then count how many ticks it takes to get to 94. If it takes me 8 ticks to get to 94 I will then go back to 93 and go up 4 ticks so it's "93.5"
I couldn't have said it better. That is what I do as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #32
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Do you have #'s for Sal Romano?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »