Home

NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2023, 11:00 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: NBA 2K24 MyPlayer Thread

With the patch releasing today, I feel comfortable finally starting MyCareer on Friday when Season 3 starts. Ideally a roster update comes before Friday as well, so that I'll have an up to date roster. Hopefully the Season 3 Trendsetter reward is available immediately. I have a decent amount of VC saved up from other modes and using a dummy MC file. So, I won't be starting at a 60 and don't want to buy VC for an Offline MC. With the patch and Season 3, it'll be nice seeing the IST courts.

After a lot of Test build games and tinkering, I finally settled on my build. I really wanted to get 90 strength, so I could get Gold Brick Wall and Gold Immovable Force. Plus playing a lot of test games that my 6'7 PF will be playing a lot of small ball 5 minutes, so the 90 strength will come in handy against centers and it'll allow me to back down players. I just had to sacrifice driving dunk a little. I want to be able to put myself against the best player 1-5.

Now it's just figuring out which team, I want to play on. I was set on the Pacers. But after a lot of test games and my dummy MC file, I'm out on the Pacers. I knew they were undersized and defense deficient, but I underestimated it lol. I would be penciled in as small ball 5 when Turner is off court, which I wouldn't mind since I should hang with centers and can Rebound. But, that would be small Ball center alongside a 3 guard lineup with Toppin as the PF. I'm not sure about that lol. Plus Turner never made an impact on any games I played. I try to go to a team that needs my position, but isn't already stacked. So, Suns are out. I'm leaning towards Mavs and Pistons. With AI Teammates actually being better, Luka and Kyrie would thrive off of my Gold Brick Wall. I played a few test games with them and they were lethal. I don't want to be a 1st or 2nd option on offense, but not sure if I'll like the ISO heavy offense and still might be a little easy. I'm intrigued with the Pistons. I did a test game with them and it was fun. A young athletic team. More size which should allow me to adjust matchups better. Cunningham would be a good #1 option to play with and should have Dimer. Good defensive front court with Thompson and Duren. I didn't really like the depth, but I might like the challenge and don't plan on resigning anyway.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:35 PM   #74
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
With the patch releasing today, I feel comfortable finally starting MyCareer on Friday when Season 3 starts. Ideally a roster update comes before Friday as well, so that I'll have an up to date roster. Hopefully the Season 3 Trendsetter reward is available immediately. I have a decent amount of VC saved up from other modes and using a dummy MC file. So, I won't be starting at a 60 and don't want to buy VC for an Offline MC. With the patch and Season 3, it'll be nice seeing the IST courts.

After a lot of Test build games and tinkering, I finally settled on my build. I really wanted to get 90 strength, so I could get Gold Brick Wall and Gold Immovable Force. Plus playing a lot of test games that my 6'7 PF will be playing a lot of small ball 5 minutes, so the 90 strength will come in handy against centers and it'll allow me to back down players. I just had to sacrifice driving dunk a little. I want to be able to put myself against the best player 1-5.

Now it's just figuring out which team, I want to play on. I was set on the Pacers. But after a lot of test games and my dummy MC file, I'm out on the Pacers. I knew they were undersized and defense deficient, but I underestimated it lol. I would be penciled in as small ball 5 when Turner is off court, which I wouldn't mind since I should hang with centers and can Rebound. But, that would be small Ball center alongside a 3 guard lineup with Toppin as the PF. I'm not sure about that lol. Plus Turner never made an impact on any games I played. I try to go to a team that needs my position, but isn't already stacked. So, Suns are out. I'm leaning towards Mavs and Pistons. With AI Teammates actually being better, Luka and Kyrie would thrive off of my Gold Brick Wall. I played a few test games with them and they were lethal. I don't want to be a 1st or 2nd option on offense, but not sure if I'll like the ISO heavy offense and still might be a little easy. I'm intrigued with the Pistons. I did a test game with them and it was fun. A young athletic team. More size which should allow me to adjust matchups better. Cunningham would be a good #1 option to play with and should have Dimer. Good defensive front court with Thompson and Duren. I didn't really like the depth, but I might like the challenge and don't plan on resigning anyway.
Bless you, my son. *Makes cross*. I hope you go to the Mavs.

Jaden Hardy has untapped potential. He typically shoots better in year 2 but I lean on him much more than Josh Green. Green is a great 3 and D player but he has to be WIDE to pull. I like a little irrational confidence. THJ thinks he's Luka and Kyrie but he's not. He is absolutely a microwave scorer tho so don't pull him entirely.

As far as the bigs? Lively is solid his first year, typically getting to 2nd team All Rookie. He averages about 8-8 with a block or two sprinkled in. He LOVES to shoot 3s with a 52 rating tho.

Powell is great for 1-2 putbacks a game and is a fantastic rim runner. Derek Jones Jr is undersized but with finish a few lobs on the break with a block every other game that makes you think he SHOULD start but he won't ever shoot the ball.

Do not sleep on Olivier-Maxence Prosper. He is VERY raw his first year, usually shoots about .30 but he is usually my starting 4 if I'm not playing that position. He is switch master. I typically put him on their best player and he holds his own. Not a great rim protector but he will absolutely shut down the midrange and 3.

I've done a TON of tinkering with the roster but there are some plays I would make sure you have in your playbook. You can edit your playbook after your first game.

Quick 2 Wide
Quick point
Quick Point 2
Quick point 4
13 Pin Down
3 Pin Down
Quick 21

All these plays will get good looks at the 3, but also branch into a PNR for midrange.

Now that layups have been tuned I would recommend putting Luka in the post.

I've had Luka and Kyrie's priorities as so:

Luka
PNR Ball Handler
3 point
Cutter
PNR Man

With Kyrie
3 point
PNR Ball Handler
PNR Man
Cutter

This allows Luka to bring up the ball with me setting a lot of off ball screens for Kyrie.

My priorities were
PNR Ball Handler
PNR Roll Man
Cutter

I was 6'10 so you'll be quicker than me. But having me set as off ball catch and shoot, even tho I was mainly a finisher, really opens up the floor for penetration.

I recommend if you choose the Mavs to play the trailer a lot. Get the rebound, pass it up to Luka (he'll beg for the ball instead of getting up court anyway) and literally just find the spot outside that's open. Unless you're the breakaway player, just sit outside unless you wanna cut. A post player, or someone who's heavy diving to the rim isn't what they need.

I have a blast on that team, truly.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:41 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Bless you, my son. *Makes cross*. I hope you go to the Mavs.

Jaden Hardy has untapped potential. He typically shoots better in year 2 but I lean on him much more than Josh Green. Green is a great 3 and D player but he has to be WIDE to pull. I like a little irrational confidence. THJ thinks he's Luka and Kyrie but he's not. He is absolutely a microwave scorer tho so don't pull him entirely.

As far as the bigs? Lively is solid his first year, typically getting to 2nd team All Rookie. He averages about 8-8 with a block or two sprinkled in. He LOVES to shoot 3s with a 52 rating tho.

Powell is great for 1-2 putbacks a game and is a fantastic rim runner. Derek Jones Jr is undersized but with finish a few lobs on the break with a block every other game that makes you think he SHOULD start but he won't ever shoot the ball.

Do not sleep on Olivier-Maxence Prosper. He is VERY raw his first year, usually shoots about .30 but he is usually my starting 4 if I'm not playing that position. He is switch master. I typically put him on their best player and he holds his own. Not a great rim protector but he will absolutely shut down the midrange and 3.

I've done a TON of tinkering with the roster but there are some plays I would make sure you have in your playbook. You can edit your playbook after your first game.

Quick 2 Wide
Quick point
Quick Point 2
Quick point 4
13 Pin Down
3 Pin Down
Quick 21

All these plays will get good looks at the 3, but also branch into a PNR for midrange.

Now that layups have been tuned I would recommend putting Luka in the post.

I've had Luka and Kyrie's priorities as so:

Luka
PNR Ball Handler
3 point
Cutter
PNR Man

With Kyrie
3 point
PNR Ball Handler
PNR Man
Cutter

This allows Luka to bring up the ball with me setting a lot of off ball screens for Kyrie.

My priorities were
PNR Ball Handler
PNR Roll Man
Cutter

I was 6'10 so you'll be quicker than me. But having me set as off ball catch and shoot, even tho I was mainly a finisher, really opens up the floor for penetration.

I recommend if you choose the Mavs to play the trailer a lot. Get the rebound, pass it up to Luka (he'll beg for the ball instead of getting up court anyway) and literally just find the spot outside that's open. Unless you're the breakaway player, just sit outside unless you wanna cut. A post player, or someone who's heavy diving to the rim isn't what they need.

I have a blast on that team, truly.
Yeah, it makes more sense to choose Mavs to start out. I don't plan on resigning for year 2. I usually spend the first season prioritizing grinding for badges and progressing my player. Then as the first season is half way through, I figure out my offensive game. I'm going to be primarily 3 and D. I won't have enough finishing or driving skill to be a threat on the ball. But I have enough quality shooting badges to be able to figure out an offensive game outside of shooting threes. Mavs are a good first year option because I can focus on three and defense while figuring offense out when Luka and Kyrie are off court.

Thanks for the plays. In the past, I have put a priority on tinkering with playbook. I want to be able to choose plays that highlight my badges. Without playing yet, I want to choose 3pt, Pick and Pop, and high post plays as my priorities. I won't be a good roll man. But I should be able to thrive off of pick and pop. With Gold Brick Wall, I want a lot of plays that involves me setting screens on and off ball. I can't score from post or score inside, but with Silver Playmaker/Bronze Dimer/Needle Threader, I want some of those Jokic sets where I can facilitate from the high post.

I should be able to finally enjoy MC long term. I skipped 2k23. In the past, I couldn't get past the initial grind phase because AI Teammates weren't competent. Now that they are, I can enjoy just playing games after I'm done grinding. The first season is about grinding. My second season will be about playing for fun. I like that they show the draft picks of teams in Free Agency. Typically 2k generated rookies are very one sided. But they tend to have the rare unique builds. I want to be able to pair with a rare 2k generated rookie regardless of team. With my playstyle, I can play as a SF or PF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Finally started as a PF on the Mavs. I had a decent amount of VC saved up so I didn't have to start at 60. I do like that AI Teammates are more reliable. Luka and Kyrie does perform up to standard and my Bronze Brick Wall gives them open shots. Right now we're 0-3. Biggest issue is that our defense is bad and CPU AI aren't missing shots lol. Lively gets wrecked in PNR, Green isn't the best as a primary defender, and the obvious Luka/Kyrie. My defense is okay for now. My issue with defense so far is just gameplay is very badge dependent. Some of these bronze badges don't cut it against better players. But, it'll get better once I get some of theses badges to Silver and Gold. Also when I get the On Court Coach perk. Once I'm able to change the defensive calls and assignments, it should be better. Right now, I'm essentially the glue guy. I'm able to rebound well. I'm very low on the offensive totem pole and I'm struggling to hit open shots. I have my 3pt rating high enough where I should make it, especially off of Luka or Kyrie passes. Also, I didn't touch finishing ratings or mid range, so I can only attempt 3pt shots or wide open layups. I started on HOF, but I bumped it down to Superstar. The Spurs ran through us and I went 0-7 lol. But, I might bump it back up and struggle through it just for the XP.

I did spend time finding good plays. I went through most of the plays and chose plays that involve me screening or plays that end up with me as the final passer because of my dimer badge. I might have to take off High Post as a priority. Most of those plays end up with an high post ISO, I want more of a Jokic high post where guys are cutting off it.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:02 PM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Finally started as a PF on the Mavs. I had a decent amount of VC saved up so I didn't have to start at 60. I do like that AI Teammates are more reliable. Luka and Kyrie does perform up to standard and my Bronze Brick Wall gives them open shots. Right now we're 0-3. Biggest issue is that our defense is bad and CPU AI aren't missing shots lol. Lively gets wrecked in PNR, Green isn't the best as a primary defender, and the obvious Luka/Kyrie. My defense is okay for now. My issue with defense so far is just gameplay is very badge dependent. Some of these bronze badges don't cut it against better players. But, it'll get better once I get some of theses badges to Silver and Gold. Also when I get the On Court Coach perk. Once I'm able to change the defensive calls and assignments, it should be better. Right now, I'm essentially the glue guy. I'm able to rebound well. I'm very low on the offensive totem pole and I'm struggling to hit open shots. I have my 3pt rating high enough where I should make it, especially off of Luka or Kyrie passes. Also, I didn't touch finishing ratings or mid range, so I can only attempt 3pt shots or wide open layups. I started on HOF, but I bumped it down to Superstar. The Spurs ran through us and I went 0-7 lol. But, I might bump it back up and struggle through it just for the XP.

I did spend time finding good plays. I went through most of the plays and chose plays that involve me screening or plays that end up with me as the final passer because of my dimer badge. I might have to take off High Post as a priority. Most of those plays end up with an high post ISO, I want more of a Jokic high post where guys are cutting off it.
Remember that Team Chemistry plays a factor, also. I'm glad you chose the Mavs. The shots will eventually start falling for your teammates.

I just restarted my career, also. I wanted an updated roster with more accurate ratings for this season. They absolutely murdered Dwight Powell's ratings, but Dereck Jones Jr got a boost to his 3 point and dunk ratings.

I also went up to Superstar so I hope it's a little more even rather than blowing out every team. Let me know if it gets better!
Old 12-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Remember that Team Chemistry plays a factor, also. I'm glad you chose the Mavs. The shots will eventually start falling for your teammates.

I just restarted my career, also. I wanted an updated roster with more accurate ratings for this season. They absolutely murdered Dwight Powell's ratings, but Dereck Jones Jr got a boost to his 3 point and dunk ratings.

I also went up to Superstar so I hope it's a little more even rather than blowing out every team. Let me know if it gets better!
It's getting a little better. Started out 0-5, but won the last 2 games. I bumped it up to HOF again for one game against Charlotte, but had to bump it back down lol. They were going off on us and felt like they couldn't miss a shot. I think that was the first win we had. They were up 12 in the fourth. But we got team takeover and went on a big run. Kyrie was hit or miss a lot first couple games, but he's gotten better. Only issue I have with team is Lively is a liability and not enough perimeter defense around me. It felt like each opposing center went off against us. Mark Williams had like 21 rebounds against us, if it wasn't for me, it would've been 30 lol. Would love for them to make a trade for someone like Capela.

Team Chemistry has gotten a little better, I think it was last at 81%
It just feels a little harder this year to get higher teammate grades. I just need to rack up some wins. I really need the On Court Coach badge. I need to be able to change the defensive settings. Feel like my teammates don't play tight enough off ball defense.

Only regret so far is not touching Shot Close to start. I focused more on my 3pt rating. My issue is that I can't make a close shot unless I'm wide open and I tend to get slumps because of it. So, my main focus now is to max my Shot Close to I think 73. I just need to be able to make a close shot when someone isn't heavily contesting

I did another game against Raptors. I swear if Powell was better, I would bench Lively lol. Poetl had 18 and 21 against us. Lively gets killed in PNR and isn't good enough on interior D. We're losing most of the games because opposing bigs are having success. If it wasn't for me killing the boards, we would get routed. I just want a Center who's only job is to rebound, defend paint, and set good screens. So either Capella or Steven Adams

The game against Raptors showed I'm getting close on defense, but need my badges at Gold or better. I had a good game against Banchero. For the most part, I was able to stay in front of Siakam. But I need Gold Immovable Force and Fast Feet. I'm at Silver Immovable Force, but at Gold is where it forces more pickups. Also need Fast Feet at Gold since I cap at 71 speed, I need Gold Fast Feet to compensate for lack of Lateral Quickness. I just wish they allowed to do the same drill multiple times during practice and more than one drill per badge. It would really cut down on badge grinding if I could repeat drills.

Last edited by illwill10; 12-04-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #79
MVP

Quote:
It's getting a little better. Started out 0-5, but won the last 2 games. I bumped it up to HOF again for one game against Charlotte, but had to bump it back down lol. They were going off on us and felt like they couldn't miss a shot. I think that was the first win we had. They were up 12 in the fourth. But we got team takeover and went on a big run. Kyrie was hit or miss a lot first couple games, but he's gotten better. Only issue I have with team is Lively is a liability and not enough perimeter defense around me. It felt like each opposing center went off against us. Mark Williams had like 21 rebounds against us, if it wasn't for me, it would've been 30 lol. Would love for them to make a trade for someone like Capela.

Team Chemistry has gotten a little better, I think it was last at 81%
It just feels a little harder this year to get higher teammate grades. I just need to rack up some wins. I really need the On Court Coach badge. I need to be able to change the defensive settings. Feel like my teammates don't play tight enough off ball defense.

Only regret so far is not touching Shot Close to start. I focused more on my 3pt rating. My issue is that I can't make a close shot unless I'm wide open and I tend to get slumps because of it. So, my main focus now is to max my Shot Close to I think 73. I just need to be able to make a close shot when someone isn't heavily contesting

I did another game against Raptors. I swear if Powell was better, I would bench Lively lol. Poetl had 18 and 21 against us. Lively gets killed in PNR and isn't good enough on interior D. We're losing most of the games because opposing bigs are having success. If it wasn't for me killing the boards, we would get routed. I just want a Center who's only job is to rebound, defend paint, and set good screens. So either Capella or Steven Adams

The game against Raptors showed I'm getting close on defense, but need my badges at Gold or better. I had a good game against Banchero. For the most part, I was able to stay in front of Siakam. But I need Gold Immovable Force and Fast Feet. I'm at Silver Immovable Force, but at Gold is where it forces more pickups. Also need Fast Feet at Gold since I cap at 71 speed, I need Gold Fast Feet to compensate for lack of Lateral Quickness. I just wish they allowed to do the same drill multiple times during practice and more than one drill per badge. It would really cut down on badge grinding if I could repeat drills.

Yeah Lively doesn't really box out it feels like. Powell seals off everyone but if he's not the ONLY one underneath the basket he won't get it. If you feel that strongly about it... Start yourself at the 5. I did it a few games, especially against guys like Capela and other rebounders I know can't shoot. But Lively is a fantastic backup center. When he's off the bench they'll outscore the other team quite often.

Since the new patch I've been posting up Luka a lot more. That should get you some better wide open looks. Also, you don't need On Court Coach to call for offball screens.

If you run to the corner and tap L1 when the ball crosses halfcourt it will give you a solid cut play. You don't even have to call for it, Luka will find you.

If you hit a couple 3s your man should start pressing you in the corner. If your on the wing, or the corner, and you're one pass away just dig your shoulder into your man and call for the ball. The pass animation SHOULD push you through to the basket for a clean look.

I usually only do these off ball cuts when we NEED a basket.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:57 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Yeah Lively doesn't really box out it feels like. Powell seals off everyone but if he's not the ONLY one underneath the basket he won't get it. If you feel that strongly about it... Start yourself at the 5. I did it a few games, especially against guys like Capela and other rebounders I know can't shoot. But Lively is a fantastic backup center. When he's off the bench they'll outscore the other team quite often.

Since the new patch I've been posting up Luka a lot more. That should get you some better wide open looks. Also, you don't need On Court Coach to call for offball screens.

If you run to the corner and tap L1 when the ball crosses halfcourt it will give you a solid cut play. You don't even have to call for it, Luka will find you.

If you hit a couple 3s your man should start pressing you in the corner. If your on the wing, or the corner, and you're one pass away just dig your shoulder into your man and call for the ball. The pass animation SHOULD push you through to the basket for a clean look.

I usually only do these off ball cuts when we NEED a basket.
I might do that, only thing is that my build is 6'7. But, the would be committing to a small ball lineup with Williams at the 4 and everyone being able to shoot. Other benefit is that if I have a slower center running around off screens, it should lead to more more shots if they're the ones go over screens or chase me around. I'll try it for a couple games.

I want On Court Coach mainly to change defensive settings. I want guys to play tight on the perimeter and want to be able to switch to a zone if necessary.

I can't do any cuts until I max my Shot Close. I'm a complete liability around the rim. A lot of times, I can get a good cut and decent look at basket, but can't make it at all. Also after off rebounds, I just have to pass out of it

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »