Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions, Players Have Full Control of What They See (Uproxx)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions, Players Have Full Control of What They See (Uproxx) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 stick skills will be tested, No more being stuck in Animations? [DimeMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopsin
http://uproxx.it/2bR5vxM
Go read it for yourself, talks about stick skills being tested. As well as it seems we will be able to break out of animations whoever we want.

This was already posted a few mins before me.. Not sure how to delete..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol we'll see about that break out of animations thing. they've been saying that since 2k10 I believe. I aint buying it until I actually can see it for myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #26
Pro

Re: NBA 2K17 stick skills will be tested, No more being stuck in Animations? [DimeMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
It seems like a lot of the articles I've read on the new animations pertain to the offensive end.

I'm curious as to how the defense will be affected. Will I still be trapped in a foul animation if I try to steal the ball and I end up trying to wrap my arms around the defender? Will I still unintentionally draw hard fouls when all I wanted to do was test my "verticality"?

I hope we get some news on the defensive end.
or they call you for many more reach in fouls for you guys that love to spam the steal button? lol
Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
or they call you for many more reach in fouls for you guys that love to spam the steal button? lol
Which would be fine. But I'm more curious as to how and to what extent animations will be forced on us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How The Hyper-Realistic ‘NBA 2K17’ Showcases The Importance Of Your Stick Skills

In theory, this sounds perfect! However, when I really think about it the animations are what set 2K apart from Live in the earlier days. It's a tradeoff situation. To make the movement realistic as possible, 2K took away some of our control. Now that we get to control everything, is it going to be herky jerky with less smoothness? Or will it look like a basketball simulation? Can't wait to test this out during the Prelude!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #29
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Re: How The Hyper-Realistic ‘NBA 2K17’ Showcases The Importance Of Your Stick Skills

Honestly, all these new controls sound daunting, but I'm all for separating the skill gap between the bad online players and the skilled ones.

Last year more than any other year I felt that I wasn't able to fully impose my will on weaker players. There were too many scrub players that beat me or stayed in close games with me, that I know I would have destroyed several years ago in older 2Ks.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Sounds good...its exactly what a lot of people said they wanted....it will be interesting to see how players react to having to learn the sticks

This is exactly what I wanted. The animations are tied to the player but you have to know how to pull off the dribble moves to turn the elite dribblers into elite dribblers.

Some of the sig size ups didn't have a good use in 2K16 because the branching didn't let you go nowhere to a point where you could explode or chain together. Some of them were real good like Steph and Kyrie's.

If you read one of the impression articles from PopSCi

http://www.popsci.com/nba-2k17-improves-on-merging-sports-and-gaming

Quote:
The algorithms that allow you to do dribble moves were pretty good in the past, but they looked like scripted animations that were hard to escape. That made it difficult, in some situations, to capitalize and beat your defender off the dribble. Now, the algorithms are layered, which helps the gamers with better timing and stick skills to actually dice up their opponents, rewarding the better player.
In practice, dribbling moves have gotten a lot more difficult to time up, which is good and bad. It makes the game more realistic, but it doesn’t allow you to string together a ridiculously fun sequence of moves like you could in the past. I’m sure that if I became more familiar with the game, as I have with the previous versions, it would make more sense the more I messed around with it. For now, it does seem like a hurdle that the average gamer might not be able to fully clear.
This guy told me everything I need to know it is going to take a little bit of practice to get the advance size ups to chain like you want. This means some actual stick skill is needed. This is what is going to separate an advanced Steph user from a casual user.

Instead of us relying on the stringing together a long canned animation we have to do it ourselves.

I like how they are doing it although you have Kyrie's, Steph animations you have to actually learn the combo and how to read the defense to turn the player into somewhat real.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #31
Banned

Best possible article I could read about 2k17.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #32
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
It seems like a lot of the articles I've read on the new animations pertain to the offensive end.

I'm curious as to how the defense will be affected. Will I still be trapped in a foul animation if I try to steal the ball and I end up trying to wrap my arms around the defender? Will I still unintentionally draw hard fouls when all I wanted to do was test my "verticality"?

I hope we get some news on the defensive end.
Yeah they haven't gone into detail on defense. The only thing they mentioned not in this article was that you can now deflect balls if they are put out in your face.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »