Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions, Players Have Full Control of What They See (Uproxx)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions, Players Have Full Control of What They See (Uproxx) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #41
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: How The Hyper-Realistic ‘NBA 2K17’ Showcases The Importance Of Your Stick Skills

Yea, I'm going to be pretty skeptical until I get to play around with it. Always hated using the sticks to shoot, myself. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as I think it's going to be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #42
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: How The Hyper-Realistic ‘NBA 2K17’ Showcases The Importance Of Your Stick Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I'm assuming this will be the big week for 2K YOUTUBERS. Did 2K set some sort of action plan for the week BESIDES BEING EXCITED ABOUT HANGING OUT WITH THE FIFA GIRL? Hoping the blogs come sooner rather than later BUT WE ALL KNOW 2K DOES THIS ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #43
Rookie

kevmasood's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I have always used buttons for jump shots but shot stick for layups, dunks and low post moves so this is very intriguing to me.
eXACTLY !!!! SAME HERE
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #44
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
You are controlling all of the player’s movements instead of just most of them. There’s no jumping off point where you’re left the manipulations of what they’ve already programmed for that player at that time in the game.
Quote:
The best part about basketball is the flow. At its pinnacle — like the regular season ’15-’16 Warriors, or the Spurs in the 2014 Finals — the offensive flow in basketball is like a carefully orchestrated symphony concerto crescendoing into a made basket. Now 2K has made that flow even more pronounced. You’re not getting stuck in seemingly anachronistic synthetic animations that can take away from the back-and-forth battles the best 2K matchups produce.

As Rob summed it up, “Now every player has full control over what he (she) sees.”
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Interesting. Some good points:
  • developer emphasis on user control on offense
  • freedom from offensive animation "prison"
  • likely ability to operate better from triple threat and off the dribble
  • combine this with an apparent emphasis on better player collision dynamics, we should see improved organic physical interactions without clipping animations
Some questions:
  • What about defense? So far we haven't heard about greater user control of defense, where it has been needed even more than on offense. That means animations, on ball and off ball
  • What about passing? Greater player control should also mean more reliable passing actions and control. For years, the directional passing hasa been very unreliable and icon passing very slow/clumsy in getting the ball efficiently to a target. If the devs really focused on player control from all aspects involved, hopefully user passing has improved, though I know it's always been challenging to code as players move and are directionally mere degrees of separation from each other relative to the passer.
Overall, a focus on player control and skill is a good thing, and I'm glad for this news. I just want to know how far it extends and of course see how well it is implemented.
Exactly! But even given all the talk about changes to the offensive control, like LM1213 said earlier, all of these "improvements" has been stated just about every year and ends up being not much better than the last. Much to the point where it has turned me off of the series. And I had once been a faithful purchaser getting every game up until '12. Won't touch it again until genuine improvements to the controls have been made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #46
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Definitely have heard the "full control" ploy before but this certainly sounds like an improvement over what we've had in this past. It might not turn out to be the full control people want but this is an area they have been working on for many years now so, perhaps, this will be the year things finally click.

Either way the more control the better. Can't wait to see and, more importantly, feel the change.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #47
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions, Players Have Full Control of What They See (Uproxx)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
This is exactly what I wanted. The animations are tied to the player but you have to know how to pull off the dribble moves to turn the elite dribblers into elite dribblers.

Some of the sig size ups didn't have a good use in 2K16 because the branching didn't let you go nowhere to a point where you could explode or chain together. Some of them were real good like Steph and Kyrie's.

If you read one of the impression articles from PopSCi

http://www.popsci.com/nba-2k17-improves-on-merging-sports-and-gaming

This guy told me everything I need to know it is going to take a little bit of practice to get the advance size ups to chain like you want. This means some actual stick skill is needed. This is what is going to separate an advanced Steph user from a casual user.

Instead of us relying on the stringing together a long canned animation we have to do it ourselves.

I like how they are doing it although you have Kyrie's, Steph animations you have to actually learn the combo and how to read the defense to turn the player into somewhat real.

Some of the size ups were meant to give you space for a jumper not necessarily explode past the defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #48
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
This is exactly what I wanted. The animations are tied to the player but you have to know how to pull off the dribble moves to turn the elite dribblers into elite dribblers.

Some of the sig size ups didn't have a good use in 2K16 because the branching didn't let you go nowhere to a point where you could explode or chain together. Some of them were real good like Steph and Kyrie's.

If you read one of the impression articles from PopSCi

http://www.popsci.com/nba-2k17-improves-on-merging-sports-and-gaming

This guy told me everything I need to know it is going to take a little bit of practice to get the advance size ups to chain like you want. This means some actual stick skill is needed. This is what is going to separate an advanced Steph user from a casual user.

Instead of us relying on the stringing together a long canned animation we have to do it ourselves.

I like how they are doing it although you have Kyrie's, Steph animations you have to actually learn the combo and how to read the defense to turn the player into somewhat real.
The size ups were frustrating in 2k16. There were times I felt like I had the defender leaning or favoring one side and when I would try to break out I would go no where. You were almost better off letting the signature size up animation play out and see if that alone would cross the defender.

Hopefully 2k17 will actually allow you to explode off a size up or dribble. IRL you can have the greatest ball control, dribbling skills in the world but if you don't have quickness and explosiveness with your feet it means nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »