Home

A rant about parity and superteams

This is a discussion on A rant about parity and superteams within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #25
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: A rant about parity and superteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
It is a different game... I think you just have to dig in for a while and get used to it. Though I prefer having a post presence and more balance, today's game is just different... not lesser (imo of course). Just like the players choosing to construct teams rather than leaving it to the front office is just different. I'm not a fan of it but it is what it is, and the dynamic of the league isn't changed much because of it despite how it looks.
This isn't really directed at you but how we view sports in general.

Why is it considered more noble when a powerhouse team is assembled via the suits (drafting, trades) than when the players assemble one (free agency)?

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 3

So would the Cavs adding possibly adding Paul George make things more competitive? Lol. That's the thing that is different now. The willingness of young players to join with other elite players to win. Maybe the players years ago were more selfish. All the players I loved back in the day really dominated the ball. Surround Barkley with some shooters & he'd find you but the ball was going through him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #27
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

It's funny because the league actually has quite a bit of parity right now.... outside of the top 2. Most of the stars are evenly dispersed across the league.

The last CBA overcorrected for random one off team building situations (The Cavs have been utterly incompetent outside of the greatest player I've ever seen being born in Akron* and the Warriors are what they are because of Curry's ankles and getting a DPOY at pick 35) and made it impossible for the rest of the league to catch up to the two teams grandfathered into the old ways. It's not reasonable to expect other teams to replicate the Cavs/Warriors model and acquiring superstars through more traditional methods has all but been eliminated.

*No, I don't want to argue. If you prefer MJ, that's fine. I don't care.

psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
So would the Cavs adding possibly adding Paul George make things more competitive? Lol. That's the thing that is different now. The willingness of young players to join with other elite players to win. Maybe the players years ago were more selfish. All the players I loved back in the day really dominated the ball. Surround Barkley with some shooters & he'd find you but the ball was going through him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's sort of different but not really. Since the 60s this has been happening, where the best players end up on the best teams for the most part. We all just saw Celtics v Lakers on ESPN. There weren't a bunch of teams who had a chance then and the league is still here. Also , the Finals ratings were up from last year (20 million plus viewers) So if Superteams are bad , then I don't know why people can't look away
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea

Why is it considered more noble when a powerhouse team is assembled via the suits (drafting, trades) than when the players assemble one (free agency)?
I'll answer for myself...

Spoiler for PPM and the tapatalk folk.

Spoiler
Old 06-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #30
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

I think it was you that said a while back the greatest trick ownership ever pulled was convincing the fans that our needs align with theirs instead of the players. I think sports fandom straight up deludes a lot of people and they lose grasp of reality, they think they are the ones who own the team.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #31
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
I think it was you that said a while back the greatest trick ownership ever pulled was convincing the fans that our needs align with theirs instead of the players. I think sports fandom straight up deludes a lot of people and they lose grasp of reality, they think they are the ones who own the team.

You get older and you realize just how weird and, sometimes, problematic sports fandom can be.

Danny Ainge calling on his longtime friendship with Kevin McHale to close the Garnett deal = networking

LeBron and Wade aligning their salaries so that they can both fit under the cap and play together = the shadowy underworld

psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #32
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
You get older and you realize just how weird and, sometimes, problematic sports fandom can be.

Danny Ainge calling on his longtime friendship with Kevin McHale to close the Garnett deal = networking

LeBron and Wade aligning their salaries so that they can both fit under the cap and play together = the shadowy underworld
I won't repeat the long post I just wrote, but I will refer to it to show how these two comparisons are not close at all.

And most people that have a problem with what happened in South Beach don't get on Wade. Part is because he was already there, but also because he didn't gut the team to make the move possible, the GM and Owner did. On the other side of the coin, the Cavs were blindsided and paid for it. Meanwhile the TWolves got assets in return for their aging vet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »