Home

A rant about parity and superteams

This is a discussion on A rant about parity and superteams within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: A rant about parity and superteams

I hope I don't give the impression that modern teams are inferior to old school teams. I'd give the Warriors & Cavs a great chance of beating any 80's or 90 team.

With the NFL, there are a decent number of teams that could win the Super Bowl. It would be nice if there were a few teams capable of at least pushing the Cavs & Warriors. There's nothing in the East right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
I hope I don't give the impression that modern teams are inferior to old school teams. I'd give the Warriors & Cavs a great chance of beating any 80's or 90 team.

With the NFL, there are a decent number of teams that could win the Super Bowl. It would be nice if there were a few teams capable of at least pushing the Cavs & Warriors. There's nothing in the East right now.

That's where I think the problem lies with a lot of fans. The NBA is not the NFL... never was and has no desire to be.

The NBA started making money by marketing individual players and dominant teams. The NFL would take the names off the back of the jerseys if they could. Completely different philosophies.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Funny thing...Warriors still can fit Paul George 1 year rental or Jimmy Butler into their budget.

They still have plenty of luxury space if they want to, as KD is willing to sign for less then max, which he said he is.

Not saying that will happen , but talking about superteams....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #36
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq071
Funny thing...Warriors still can fit Paul George 1 year rental or Jimmy Butler into their budget.

They still have plenty of luxury space if they want to, as KD is willing to sign for less then max, which he said he is.

Not saying that will happen , but talking about superteams....
Oh no. If this happened the Internet would shut down.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #37
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

What's the point of being a fan of the pacers or any mid market team? It's ridiculous. LeBron, Durant, curry should all be buildingbthrir own teams not joining each other's teams just to win a championship easier.

They might as well just give everyone trophies and ca
ll everyone championships because at this point there is no reason to play out the season there's 2 teams that matter and the rest of the league just trying to not lose money

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #38
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Is/Was Golden State considered mid-market before Curry fixed his ankles?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Cleveland is definitely a big market lol

Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
All Star

OVR: 13

I think the problem is not so much the lack of parity but the lack of competition in general. In the NFL, a handful of teams are really the only true title contenders, but fans of almost every team feel like they at least have a puncher's chance to have a successful season, maybe make the playoffs, and if they get a couple of breaks along the way....who knows?

In the NBA, 28 teams know from day 1 they have a 0% chance to be competitive, so why bother? I mean, anyone building a team to be competitive for any year prior to 2020 (or thereabouts) is wasting their time and money. The best any team can do is appear to look like they're being competitive so they can face their fanbase, but really they all know it's a waste of time.

From a pure strategy standpoint, by far the most intelligent thing any team can do for the next 2-3 years is tank hard, shed salary, and sign the bare minimum to meet league standards, until Cleveland/GS start to decline. There's something basically wrong with a league where that's the best course of action for 28 out of 30 teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »