Home
News Post

We have identified and fixed the bug causing the game to crash when editing rosters. This bug also causes teams to disappear and team ratings to change.

The patch is being tested tonight, and assuming all goes well it will be submitted tomorrow for certification. The expected release is in 5-10 days.

Until the patch, we recommend you cease editing rosters. Rosters that have been corrupted by the bug will not work after the patch. If you have a roster in progress and have not encountered any freezes or missing teams, it will work after the patch. There is a possibility a roster can be corrupt and not have surfaced any problems yet. This is why we recommend that you stop or back up your work among multiple save files.

We are also fixing the bug where the depth chart gets reordered after editing a player with this patch.

These are the ONLY fixes in this patch. We are planning on a 2nd patch with many fixes, but we had to get this one out the door.

We appreciate everyone's patience on this matter.

Special thanks to CDJ, 21SEC, and Fairdale Kings for helping us track this down.

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 541 Phobia @ 07/23/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts

Im hoping that EA isnt saying, well the sliders is an easy thing to fix so lets do that as opposed to fixing the real issues. Im trying to have faith.
Me and you both man

# 542 davin @ 07/23/08 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Yep.. if you read my introduction when I first joined the board I was straight up front saying that I'm not here to spin things or try to sell you a game. I don't work in PR, I don't work in marketing. I'm a game designer, and I want to provide answers and insight and collect feedback from the game for how we can make it better for our hardcore gamer audience.

As much as we'd love to design the game 100% hardcore, that just isn't feasible. We have to make a game for a whole spectrum of people that may decide to purchase it.
Now I am fairly new to looking at some madden info as I haven't bought madden in years but am probably going to this year, but I believe they have a mode called "hardcore" this year where they disable some of the things like the "weapons". Has there been any sort of discussion as to whether or not that might be considered for NCAA?

# 543 Kingfish @ 07/23/08 01:20 PM
AA's last post makes me smile(as does the post he quoted)...

I made a point at release when these problems were starting to show-up...its time for the work on all the "pretty-pretty" to stop for a year and WORK on the game play.

Make the most beautiful game known to man...virtually like watching a live TV game and people will HATE IT if it plays like POOP!

Make a game that looks like NCAA04 that PLAYS and RESPONDS like REAL college football and some people will STILL hate it.

Truth is, polish up a turd and its still a turd...

A set of WORKING sliders that actually affect the game in a measurable way is the only way to make this game have the mass appeal they are wanting. Those who want an arcade game, they could have it...those that want hardcore sim, they could have it too.

EA(or any company/game) will NEVER get a 100% approval rating but…BUT, the above solution will get you close.

# 544 TombSong @ 07/23/08 01:20 PM
The Kick return problem I am starting to not see as a problem. I kinda like the fact that there is a element of fear that someone can potentially break a big on on you if you are not careful with your kick off coverage. It could maybe use a tweak, but the way it is now the game does make kickoffs more than just an event to exchange the ball.

This Rocket catch thang though, we need a heavy discussion on that problem.

# 545 rudyjuly2 @ 07/23/08 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I was under the impression that the CPU sliders did work for Special Teams. Are those not supposed to work also? They seem to work to me.
Thanks again.
I have tested them out in practice mode and I do think the cpu FG and Kickoff sliders matter. However, punt length is based only on the human slider from my testing. I could be wrong but I moved the slider from 0 to 100 and didn't notice anything when testing it out.

Rudy

# 546 mike1409 @ 07/23/08 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Yep.. if you read my introduction when I first joined the board I was straight up front saying that I'm not here to spin things or try to sell you a game. I don't work in PR, I don't work in marketing. I'm a game designer, and I want to provide answers and insight and collect feedback from the game for how we can make it better for our hardcore gamer audience.

As much as we'd love to design the game 100% hardcore, that just isn't feasible. We have to make a game for a whole spectrum of people that may decide to purchase it.
Isn't that what difficulty levels and sliders are for?

# 547 rudyjuly2 @ 07/23/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAreaper26
just increase the kickoff and punt power sliders and it will eliminate the coverage problems.
That doesn't work at all for the punt returns imo. The human punt returns on AA difficulty are too easy no matter what you do. I've tried dropping punt length, increasing punt length, punt accuracy, whatever. I can return punts at 20+ yards almost every time on AA and I've normally been a lousy returner in the past. I did find that the punt returns seemed really good on Heisman though.

# 548 FlyingFinn @ 07/23/08 01:42 PM
If the very poor pursuit logic by tacklers (Kick Coverage/Defense/Interception Returns) and the ghost juke were both fixed in a patch, I would happily punk down my 60 bones for this game.

# 549 therizing02 @ 07/23/08 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAreaper26
just increase the kickoff and punt power sliders and it will eliminate the coverage problems.
If only it were that simple. This part of the game is broken. End of story. The coverage teams are slow to get down the field. If you increase the length of the kick that means the coverage team has farther to run. Because they are programmed to run so damn slow you're almost guaranteed a big return.

Mu house rule is to count to 5 before before moving the return man. Even the "don't use the sprint" rule doesn't help.

# 550 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 01:46 PM
There are multiple things that are "broken" Check Ian's thread that he started a week ago and it lists those features. We all nkow what they are, and at this point, we have no idea if they are being touched for the patch. We just know they were looked at.

I want my college game back. I live for this game and get so jacked up when it comes out. Normally im in year 3 or 4 of a single player dynasty by now, and i honestly havent gotten past game 1. SO aggravated.

# 551 BigBodySS @ 07/23/08 02:04 PM
Quote:
I want my college game back. I live for this game and get so jacked up when it comes out. Normally im in year 3 or 4 of a single player dynasty by now, and i honestly havent gotten past game 1. SO aggravated.
Amen brotha, amen....

# 552 FORMULA316 @ 07/23/08 02:33 PM
BTW, what day are we on regarding patch watch? Day 8?

# 553 concretefire @ 07/23/08 02:34 PM
Since my previous two posts have been deleted for no reason whatsoever, I suppose this is a waste of time as well but here it goes.

Anyone else curious as to why it's Adam answering most of the questions? As he says, he's a "features" guy. He's not with the gameplay dept. 98% of complaints are coming strictly from gameplay. ??????

Guys, we have beaten this to death. They simply don't get it. They are wasting our time and theirs. Think about it. If they come here to try to "listen" to us and help make the game better...by either patch, next year, etc...etc.. then they are failing miserably.

How many times do we have to say, as a community, LEAVE OUT EVERY SINGE GOSH DARN "FEATURE" known to man, and the get the gameplay right!!!!!!!!!!!! How many years have we been saying that??????

Adam himself has done a great job here. But he works for EA.
He is EA's answer to complaints. A features guy.

We have a broken driveway, and EA sent us an electrician.
Does that not make perfect sense? Same gameplay issues year after year. Rocket catch, Poor AI, Robo QB, etc.. the list is long.
And they send us someone who isn't even the gameplay dept to address our "issues".

Guys, I'm sorry. Add all this up, and EA just doesn't get it. They just don't. There will be at least 2 patches. I take Adam for his word on this. When doesn't really matter to me. This is corporate EA we're dealing with, not Adam. I have no doubts what so ever that even after the 2nd patch we will be left as frustrated as we are now.
Anyone who hopes for better is foolish given the track record, and writting on the wall.

# 554 babyfat9 @ 07/23/08 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316
I'm wondering that myself. They say there must be tons of games going through the patch process and that's why it's taking so long....go figure.

# 555 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316
Adam said he thought it was 5-10 days, he didnt promise it in 5-10 days. We'd all like it now, but Sony and MS hve to approve it. Griping about it wont make it arrive sooner.

# 556 OMT @ 07/23/08 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Read more closely.

The slider bug right now is that Human sliders appear to effect BOTH the Human AND CPU attributes.

So.... with that in mind.

If I have Human Sliders set with a Break Block of 100 and a Pass Block of 0, you would think that my defensive line AND the cpu defensive line would be blowing up the O line, busting through every play, and killing the QBs at that extreme of a setting.

They dont.

So either the sliders are reversed or its a placebo effect and those two sliders don't work at all. You tell me.

If they do work, and simply effect BOTH sides, then my statement still holds true. That Break Block at 100 and Pass Block at 0 doesn't help any pass rush.
Right.. but I said if we fixed that, and you said it wouldn't help because they don't work. I think you are misunderstaning me!

# 557 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Right.. but I said if we fixed that, and you said it wouldn't help because they don't work. I think you are misunderstaning me!
Adam, i explained it after he made that statement. The sliders dont modify enough (even when working). The defensive stuff needs major movements here, tweaking, fixing, correcting, whatever its called. The sliders, whether they work or not will not create enough impact to accomplish what needs to be fixed.

# 558 AuburnAlumni @ 07/23/08 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Now read this post (and the other 5 posts like it in the last few pages)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Bingo! Yahtzee!!! Touchdown Auburn!!!

If I have Break Block at 100, my DL and LBs should be DESTROYING blockers.

If I have Run Ability at 100, Tailbacks should be Bo Jackson incarnate.

If I have QB Pass Accuracy at 0, QBs shouldn't be able to complete a 10 yard out route (but throw POWER should not be affected).

The sliders don't do ENOUGH. Look at the sliders folks are using in the sliders forum for crying out loud. Stuff set at 90. Stuff set at 100. Stuff set at 0.

This PROVES that whatever the sliders are intended to affect just aren't doing anything noticeable with a "click" or two movement. You have to literally jack the sliders all the way up or all the way down to see any noticeable difference.

# 559 nstod @ 07/23/08 02:43 PM
Quote:
Adam, i explained it after he made that statement. The sliders dont modify enough (even when working). The defensive stuff needs major movements here, tweaking, fixing, correcting, whatever its called. The sliders, whether they work or not will not create enough impact to accomplish what needs to be fixed.
I think what he's saying is what if they completely fix the sliders. Not just make it so that the CPU sliders actually control the CPU AI. But make the sliders so they actually can modify the gameplay to the extent that they should. IMO, if THAT was to be fixed, we could hide a lot of the gameplay issues.

# 560 eaglesfan27 @ 07/23/08 02:44 PM
Adam,

If the team makes sliders have a more pronounced effect as well as fixing the issue with human sliders controlling humans and CPU, that will be great. If the human/cpu issue is the only fix, then it won't accomplish what AA or I (and I suspect many others) want which are sliders that have a large prounced effect on gameplay so that we can truly tune it to meet our styles.

I hate to mention any other games, but College Hoops 2k8 has great sliders - you adjust 3 point shooting 2 or 3 clicks on a scale of 1-100 from 48 to 45 and you notice a very significant difference. You drop it a few more clicks down to 40 and it a DRASTIC difference. NCAA 09 needs to make the sliders much more responsive like other sports games do.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.