Home
News Post

We have identified and fixed the bug causing the game to crash when editing rosters. This bug also causes teams to disappear and team ratings to change.

The patch is being tested tonight, and assuming all goes well it will be submitted tomorrow for certification. The expected release is in 5-10 days.

Until the patch, we recommend you cease editing rosters. Rosters that have been corrupted by the bug will not work after the patch. If you have a roster in progress and have not encountered any freezes or missing teams, it will work after the patch. There is a possibility a roster can be corrupt and not have surfaced any problems yet. This is why we recommend that you stop or back up your work among multiple save files.

We are also fixing the bug where the depth chart gets reordered after editing a player with this patch.

These are the ONLY fixes in this patch. We are planning on a 2nd patch with many fixes, but we had to get this one out the door.

We appreciate everyone's patience on this matter.

Special thanks to CDJ, 21SEC, and Fairdale Kings for helping us track this down.

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 561 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstod
I think what he's saying is what if they completely fix the sliders. Not just make it so that the CPU sliders actually control the CPU AI. But make the sliders so they actually can modify the gameplay to the extent that they should. IMO, if THAT was to be fixed, we could hide a lot of the gameplay issues.
The sliders have NEVER been like that though. What we are all saying (And what AA is saying in bold and caps) is that the defense needs to be fixed, not tweaked with sliders. This isnt a rudiemntary issue where we feel that passes are going 5 yards too far and we adjust that. This is an issue where the defense plays like a bunch of 3 year olds at soccer as compared to the nasty defenses we see on Saturday.

There is a HUGE gap as to what we are seeing and want to see. Sliders, unless they are completely redone (see AA's post above) will not affect the gameplay in the way we are all intending it to.

# 562 nstod @ 07/23/08 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Sliders, unless they are completely redone (see AA's post above) will not affect the gameplay in the way we are all intending it to.
Yeah, I know. I think that this is what Adam is referring to. Not sure how else to explain it to you, man.

# 563 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstod
Yeah, I know. I think that this is what Adam is referring to. Not sure how else to explain it to you, man.
We're on the same page. If the sliders are completely redone and have MAJOR impacts on the game, then that should, in theory, HELP us correct alot of the issues in the game. But i guess the bigger question is, should we be left as gamers to have to cover up bigger flaws?

Now ill take that responsibility over having nothing to remedy it with, but unlses they are completely redone with drastic impact, i cant see them making a difference.

If they are re-done, again, IN THEORY, it should help, but until we get our hands on it, who knows.

# 564 nstod @ 07/23/08 02:53 PM
Yeah, I'm with you guys. At this point, I don't care what they do as long as we can make the game play a whole lot better than it's playing right now.

# 565 AuburnAlumni @ 07/23/08 03:03 PM
Honestly,

This isn't rocket science.

Adam and other EA fellas perusing our boards...

Here is how you see if anything you guys are currently "patching" is going to do a darn thing.

Play a "Play Now" Game.

Put it on any difficulty level you want.

Pick Georgia or Ohio State...an all "99" team ("99" ratings...That's a whole other issue altogether but I digress).

Play against Utah State, the absolute worst team in the game.

Jack all of the HUMAN sliders to 100.

Jack all of the CPU sliders to 0.

If you don't win that game 110-0...then your patch isn't doing anything.

More importantly, with those EXTREME SETTINGS, if you don't have 35 sacks, and the Utah State QB is going 16-20 with 180 yards 2 TDs....your patch isn't doing anything.

IF YOUR DEFENSIVE LINEMEN ARE GETTING PANCAKED EVERY SINGLE PLAY, OR HALF OF YOUR FRONT FOUR GET CHOP BLOCKED ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY....THEN YOUR "PATCH" ISN'T DOING ANYTHING.

Simple. To the point.

# 566 Niq54 @ 07/23/08 03:11 PM
As far as fixing sliders, I'm not sure it it help fix the game. Especially defensive pressure. Sliders simply affect player ratings. And some player ratings do not matter. I have tested this and I have determined Pass Block Pass Block Strength and Pass Block Footwork and Catch ratings have little to no affect on game play. I edited a FB to to a 0 catch rating and he still catches the ball. I edited a LT to 0 Pass Block and 0 Pass Block Strength and Footwork and they BLOW UP 95 rated DEs, and do that miraculous/ridiculous cut block animation and flip defenders in the air. Also RBs block as well as O-lineman. They have low ratings and weight and still block like Orlando Pace. My biggest issue with all of this is Building a Good defense or great offensive line in dynasty is pointless because they all play the same.

# 567 edaddy @ 07/23/08 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Honestly,

Here is how you see if anything you guys are currently "patching" is going to do a darn thing.

Play a "Play Now" Game.

Pick Georgia or Ohio State...an all "99" team ("99" ratings...That's a whole other issue altogether but I digress).

More importantly, with those EXTREME SETTINGS, if you don't have 35 sacks, and the Utah State QB is going 16-20 with 180 yards 2 TDs....your patch isn't doing anything.

IF YOUR DEFENSIVE LINEMEN ARE GETTING PANCAKED EVERY SINGLE PLAY, OR HALF OF YOUR FRONT FOUR GET CHOP BLOCKED ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY....THEN YOUR "PATCH" ISN'T DOING ANYTHING.

Simple. To the point.
LOL you are that is simple and to the point AA

# 568 Pared @ 07/23/08 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niq54
As far as fixing sliders, I'm not sure it it help fix the game. Especially defensive pressure. Sliders simply affect player ratings. And some player ratings do not matter. I have tested this and I have determined Pass Block Pass Block Strength and Pass Block Footwork and Catch ratings have little to no affect on game play. I edited a FB to to a 0 catch rating and he still catches the ball. I edited a LT to 0 Pass Block and 0 Pass Block Strength and Footwork and they BLOW UP 95 rated DEs, and do that miraculous/ridiculous cut block animation and flip defenders in the air. Also RBs block as well as O-lineman. They have low ratings and weight and still block like Orlando Pace. My biggest issue with all of this is Building a Good defense or great offensive line in dynasty is pointless because they all play the same.
I'm singling you out because this is a prime example of what I'm talking about but this is nothing personal:

This thread is a huge, big mess. Guys talking about sliders will fix this and others saying sliders won't fix that. I honestly have no idea how Adam is supposed to address any of our concerns with so many varied comments.

There are a few in the forums being more vocal than others and that's not helping. Perhaps we should get a poll going and let the devs. work from that.

I think the biggest frustration has to be the multiple voices all saying different things. The only thing I would surely take away from all of this is that defense seems to be a non-factor this year and if the sliders had a greater effect in limiting the offense and bringing the defense (accordingly, throughout the good and bad teams) that it would go a long way towards improving the game.

A perfect example are the defensive knockdowns and how well they work. At 100, guys very rarely go for an INT. They attempt to knockdown even the most obvious ball thrown to them.

It would be nice to see these extremes with the defense (including the pass rush and coverage).

# 569 concretefire @ 07/23/08 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Honestly,

Play a "Play Now" Game.

Simple. To the point.
Hey AA, have you not been paying attention? They don't think anything is wrong with gameplay.

# 570 rudyjuly2 @ 07/23/08 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This thread is a huge, big mess. Guys talking about sliders will fix this and others saying sliders won't fix that. I honestly have no idea how Adam is supposed to address any of our concerns with so many varied comments.

There are a few in the forums being more vocal than others and that's not helping. Perhaps we should get a poll going and let the devs. work from that.

I think the biggest frustration has to be the multiple voices all saying different things. The only thing I would surely take away from all of this is that defense seems to be a non-factor this year and if the sliders had a greater effect in limiting the offense and bringing the defense (accordingly, throughout the good and bad teams) that it would go a long way towards improving the game.
I agree. The thread is a huge mess. I think that fixed AND exaggerated sliders would go a long way to fixing most of people's concerns. I also think a small but very vocal minority here considers some of these problems to be disasterous of epic proportions while others don't mind that much and are actually enjoying the game.

# 571 BigBodySS @ 07/23/08 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niq54

I agree, I totally gave up recruiting anything above a 2-star offensive or defensive lineman. I spend all my recruiting points on speed wrs/rbs since they are the only ones that matter.

# 572 mwjr @ 07/23/08 04:16 PM
Out of curiosity, those of you concerned about the poor Defensive Line play in the game: how many sacks per game were you getting in previous incarnations of the game? How many do you think you should be getting?

I haven't played the game, so I'm not casting stones. I'm just trying to get a barometirc reading.

# 573 callmetaternuts @ 07/23/08 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Out of curiosity, those of you concerned about the poor Defensive Line play in the game: how many sacks per game were you getting in previous incarnations of the game? How many do you think you should be getting?

I haven't played the game, so I'm not casting stones. I'm just trying to get a barometirc reading.
Ill say this before AA does. Its not necessarily about sacks. its about pressure, hurries, disrupting the offense.

To answer your question i get about 2-3 sacks a game, which against a like rated opponent may be about right, but im getting 1 hurry a game, and 0 blitzes seem to have affect.

# 574 mwjr @ 07/23/08 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I think they were talking about patches on the jerseys and other cosmetic things like they had in the old gen games. Personally, I feel that EA has bigger fish to fry than to worry about that stuff now. Maybe next year.
I would agree wholeheartedly. Cosmetic things like jersey patches and spirit decals on helmeys should take a back burner to things like AI and gameplay, and that goes with any game, not just NCAA 09.

# 575 mwjr @ 07/23/08 04:33 PM
Quote:
Im hoping that EA isnt saying, well the sliders is an easy thing to fix so lets do that as opposed to fixing the real issues. Im trying to have faith.
You're correct. Sliders are used (or at least they should be used) for minor tweaking of a game. Sliders are for things like, "Hmmm, All American is too easy for me, but Heisman's too hard. Let me tweak these things and come up with a middle ground."

Sliders should NOT be the elixir for major fixes like 95 DTs being consistently controlled by 75 OVR guards.

# 576 mwjr @ 07/23/08 04:43 PM
Quote:
Ill say this before AA does. Its not necessarily about sacks. its about pressure, hurries, disrupting the offense.

To answer your question i get about 2-3 sacks a game, which against a like rated opponent may be about right, but im getting 1 hurry a game, and 0 blitzes seem to have affect.
Are you controlling the same player to achieve those 2-3 sacks?

# 577 therizing02 @ 07/23/08 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr

It's not about how many sacks you're getting a game. It's all about pressure. Sacks/hurries/bad throws come from pressure. It's minimal in this game

The fact that an offensive line with an average rating of 73 can pancake a DL with an average rating of somewhere between 85-90 is enough to see that there is a problem.

# 578 fistofrage @ 07/23/08 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
I think at the snap of the ball the entire defense is handicapped. If you watch the players they just look like they are in slow motion. The D line looks gassed and slow, the linebackers run like they are on a treadmill and the secondary has no clue what is going on.
Thats "WIIIIIIIIIIDE OPEN" gameplay my friend.

# 579 jdrhammer @ 07/23/08 04:59 PM
Has anyone heard how close we are to the roster bug patch? THanks

# 580 AuburnAlumni @ 07/23/08 05:08 PM
Ok so explain this one to me....

Defenders run in quicksand and can't get to a QB on a blitz in under 3 seconds.

And yet....if they pick off a pass, suddenly they are the second coming of Flo Jo.

Example.

Here is FSU's LB Nicholson (85 speed, 84 acceleration) picking off a pass and BLOWING past Idaho's receivers (88 speed, 88 acc and 87 speed 80 acc).

A couple of things to note.
--Nicholson runs 80 yards yet never tires.
--Look at how quickly the Idaho receivers converge AT FIRST..then suddenly, they can't gain an inch in pursuit. It even looks as though they are "jogging" after Nicholson, not running for dear life to catch him.
--Notice how the Idaho receiver who stumbles, is gaining RAPIDLY on the other Idaho receiver in pursuit, yet suddenly he loses his ability to accelerate when he gets closer to Nicholson.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.