Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Teamxbox has posted their preview of Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"While the version of MLB 2K9 we were shown wasn’t complete, usually a prerelease version has a poorer frame rate and graphic quality, because it hasn’t been optimized yet. However, this demo seemed to have a solid frame rate and sharp visuals, which is encouraging. Thomas also said that “more signature style” has been added—over 300 signature animations in this installment—which will make the presentation that much more realistic during gameplay, especially if you’re playing with your home-town favorite team."

And they also give a good explanation as to why preview builds sometimes have poor framerates (lack of optimization, like Simballer told us), so it's to be expected that the framerate wouldn't be perfect at this point. However, apparently it's already not that bad since they had only good things to say about the framerate and graphics in general.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Artman22 @ 01/29/09 05:35 AM
Wow after reading this article I once again have hope for mlb2k9. I'm glad we got some positive things said in this article. Framerate and visuals seem tight. Like baa7 said, this game has been an emotional rolacoster LOL. Man this is great.

# 2 SoxFan01605 @ 01/29/09 06:40 AM
Well, I thought this was a slightly more "complete" review than the others. Good news about the framerate. One thing I'm particularly pleased with in general is that all have had good things to say about the commentary....which was painful for me the last couple years.

I like Gary Thorne a lot (He was great for the NHL and baseball, and has exerience in videogaming too...pretty darn good in NHL 09)...maybe the only Orioles broadcaster I'll say that about...lol.

Phillips...hate him. BUT, I don't mind hating him in a video game, if that makes any sense. As long as the hate is for the same reasons as in real life (windbag is a term that comes to mind) and not based on repetition, then I'm good. A repetative Phillips would be worse than any framerate stutters for me...lol...j/k (sorta)

# 3 King Gro23 @ 01/29/09 07:09 AM
Wow, One preview changes the views of thousands. Thats the thing people get all tickled about a unfinished game preview. All in all I remain excited for MLB 2K9.
Good good news. I think the franchise will be deeper than I expected it to be.

# 4 SoxFan01605 @ 01/29/09 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
2K replaced the announcers in NHL 09 this year, but instead of writing fresh new dialogue, they just recycled the same old tired script. What if they gave Phillips all of Joe Morgan's old lines? Would you mind having to hate him in a video game then?
Then I would either have to shelve this game or play it muted...lol. That would be cruel

# 5 davewins @ 01/29/09 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Wow after reading this article I once again have hope for mlb2k9. I'm glad we got some positive things said in this article. Framerate and visuals seem tight. Like baa7 said, this game has been an emotional rolacoster LOL. Man this is great.
so it's not "safe to say" anymore?? lol

# 6 SoxFan01605 @ 01/29/09 08:12 AM
Quote:
What we're in for if they haven't written new lines for these guys:

Gary Thorne, feigning sincere interest: So Steve, YOU'RE a Hall of Famer. YOU played on the Big Red Machine. What was THAT like?

Steve Phillips, droning: Well, Gary, baseball has changed from my day. We didn't have all that protective equipment that makes hitting much easier. Plus the strikezone was from the eyes to the ankles, and that's only when the pitcher wasn't throwing at your head and brushing you back, something they don't do today. But to get back to your question: base stealing was much tougher back then because blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...
...I'm not so sure they'd copy THAT directly...lol. Plus, I'm sure they'll have him shamelessly plug his GM experience hoping for a job. Maybe one of the visual overlays will be his resume. Can you imagine what ESPN will be like next year? Phillips is actually JOINING Miller and Morgan...horiffic...lol.

Now we just need to squeeze Tim McCarver in and the rambling will be complete...lol.

# 7 driz14 @ 01/29/09 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I'll just say this:

I find it very interesting that three previews mentioned the subpar framerate, yet the magazine exclusive to the system that only has one baseball game to choose from somehow has a copy that is fine?

I don't think he was referring that he got the better version out of the other 3 who had the same build. I think he was just implying what they saw on a 90% build-the game appeared more solid than the previous installments. Also indicating the producer made it known that the game has still yet to go under any graphical optimizations.

# 8 King Gro23 @ 01/29/09 08:50 AM
Quote:
I'll just say this:

I find it very interesting that three previews mentioned the subpar framerate, yet the magazine exclusive to the system that only has one baseball game to choose from somehow has a copy that is fine?

Its a preview dude, You think playstation mag gives The Show head? just because The show is exclusively Playstation. I also heard that the previous sites of previews claimed to have had a 90% game but got the game about a week and a half ago. I have no clue on when Teamxbox got it. Only time will tell the fortunes of MLB 2K9.Also yes what driz just said above ^^

# 9 DaveDQ @ 01/29/09 09:01 AM
I think we're seeing the advantages of seeing Jeff Thomas and VC working with this game. I know Jeff isn't running the code and doing that kind of work, but he has been behind the production of two great franchises, NFL 2K and NBA 2K.

This preview gives me hope about the framerate. I'm excited to see what they can do with the game and I'm looking forward to it coming in March.

# 10 Shakedowncapo @ 01/29/09 09:14 AM
Meh...Peter Moore was a bigger part of the NBA2k/NFL2k franchises taking off.

# 11 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/09 10:00 AM
The addition of the zone/cursor (like Power Pros) excites me. I know many people aren't fans of last year's timing only model. But, for a hitting engine rebuilt in one development cycle, it is solid. KushGamer said that part of the game is his; he did a good job.

The pitching changes sound wonderful, as well. Getting rid of meatballs will make everyone happy, and they've left the option to make TCP a three-step process just like last year.

Graphics and presentation excite me the most. If the team's inspiration is truly NBA 2K9, I think we're in for something special. The real-time cut scenes between buckets, the end of quarter highlights and overall broadcast style presentation are top notch. Judging by this review, the commentary is already more robust than 2K8.

Finally, this review does a good job explaining the framerate. It does not say the framerate is silky smooth. It does say, however, that it is more "solid" than many games at this point in development. Given what SimBaller said, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

This review is reassuring and does get me excited for March 2nd. I also think it's hysterical that is the same day Barry Bonds' trial starts. Maybe, just maybe, 2K9 can rid itself of its demons as baseball rids itself of theirs.

# 12 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/29/09 10:16 AM
Very encouraging preview. The damage control was in effect with the Frame Rate Disclaimer, which to tell you the truth I am glad was mentioned. Though I understand people's caution, remember were not dealing with KUSH Games anymore, were dealing with VC.

Some stuff that caught my eye:

Quote:
One of the keys, Thomas claimed, is that they wanted to make the game more accessible to first-time players, but without sacrificing the intricacy for veterans.
I'm very hopeful about this statement. We've seen some hints towards this, with the pitching. Making it a little easier yet challenging with the ability for the user add that 3rd process when using the Analog Stick.

I really hope we get a preview where the writer uses the Zone Hitting Mechanic so we can get some info on how it works.

Quote:
being able to affect whether you’ll be putting down a hard grounder, nailing a line-drive rope or getting some oomph into it for a potential home-run ball is big.
Sounds we might be getting the hit variety we've been looking for

Quote:
this demo seemed to have a solid frame rate and sharp visuals, which is encouraging. Thomas also said that “more signature style” has been added—over 300 signature animations in this installment—which will make the presentation that much more realistic during game play, especially if you’re playing with your home-town favorite team.
Love the addition of Signatures Styles, glad to hear the visuals look sharp.
Quote:
Among other things, Thomas said that it’s been designed for the announcers to make pertinent observations, perhaps having a thought interrupted by a play, only to pick back up on the previous banter when the play is over. It’s that kind of tweak to the game that takes what could be seen as a trivial addition and makes it actually more important in having the play-by-play seem more natural and genuine to what you’d hear in a real TV broadcast of a game.
I am so excited that were getting new commentary. It looks like VC has tried vary hard to make the presentation seem more like a real TV Broadcast. This series has lack this for the last couple of years.

Things I would've like to heard more about:

Controlling all 30 teams. In the IGN article it states controlling all 30 teams is an Online League feature & not an In-Game feature.

Would of loved to have heard a little more about the graphics, especially on how close the player faces look to their real-life counterpart. Also would of loved to had heard something on Progressive Lighting & how the stadiums look..

Hopefully OS will get to preview the game & some of these questions can get answered..

# 13 boomhauertjs @ 01/29/09 10:54 AM
Quote:
I've already arranged to rent the game when it first comes out -- I know the manager at my local Blockbuster. So I'll be making my purchasing decision based on cold, hard gaming experience, and not just hope.
Baa, I'll be relying on you. I took your advice and checked out The Show 08 for PS2 and loved it (except for the last-gen graphics). If your impressions of MLB 2k9 are good, I'll strongly consider buying it. Otherwise, I'm going with The Show 09 for the PS2.

# 14 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/09 11:03 AM
Quote:
With the exception of the timing-only thing, I thought it was the best hitting system I've seen in a game. I mean best as in most fun, and most challenging (I cranked step-influence and pitch speed up to 100). I just wanted to add the element of aiming the bat. Other than that, it's a brilliant hitting system.
We agree far more than I ever realized .

# 15 dtigers63 @ 01/29/09 11:23 AM
I've got to say this game has ALOT of promise. Some things I'm hoping for.

No dumbing down of the franchise mode. Another words I hope AAA-A teams are still included and they continued to go with real minor league stadiums.
Eliminate the game killing bugs. Yes, the game will have bugs I'm sure but hopefully they will be more along the lines of annoying and less of the game killing type.

A move in the right direction will once again pump some much needed life into this series and from what I'm reading there is a strong possibility of that happening.

# 16 MattNYY @ 01/29/09 12:16 PM
Im in im out,in out,in out,in out,in out its tearing me apart!!!!!

# 17 Motown @ 01/29/09 12:32 PM
A few things changed, & it's a purchase for me:

Gameplay...Damn happy the meatball BS is gone!
GFX on par w/ the 360
Field dimensions have ALWAYS been too damn small. They need to be accurately proportioned w/ the players imo.

VC hopefully gettin' it done fellaz

# 18 bodhiball @ 01/29/09 12:33 PM
wow, I give you guys a TON of credit for being able to dissect the review as much as you have. Honestly, if you put all 4 reviews that have been written in front of me I dont think I could possibly tell the difference in them. They all mentioned the exact same things, and were just paragraphs of the features list...things we already know.

Supposedly these reviewers played the game? Why no comments on how it played? What pitching felt like? What happens instead of a meatball? How did the hitting feel? Did you notice good hit variety? How was fielding? How did the stadiums look? How about the player models? Was there day-night transition? Weather? How was the crowd? Was the Living World in yet and if so how did it look? How was the commentary? etc etc.....you get the point

All they told us is what 2k told them...not their experiences of what they saw. I am new to the world of game reviews, but these just seemed silly

# 19 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/09 01:01 PM
My understanding of the preview process is this:

Visual Concepts arrived, let people play the game for about an inning and followed up with their own presentation. There is probably little mention of how the game actually played because, truthfully, writers barely got their hands on it.

# 20 jeffy777 @ 01/29/09 02:30 PM
Quote:
I'll just say this:

It's not like TeamXbox is owned by Microsoft or anything, so they don't hype up Xbox exclusive games just for the sake of them being Xbox only. On the contrary, they have very good and unbiased reviews. They are actually owned by IGN.

The article pointed out that they gave MLB 2K8 a hard time last year because of it's framerate, so that was certainly on their mind when looking at this preview builld of 2K9, yet they said the framerate looked solid even at this early stage, so that is a really good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Finally, this review does a good job explaining the framerate. It does not say the framerate is silky smooth. It does say, however, that it is more "solid" than many games at this point in development. Given what SimBaller said, I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Good summary, I feel the same way

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.