IGN has posted the following Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 updates:

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 DivotMaker @ 03/28/09 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitix
My greatest concern is still the use of the putt preview line. I hope EA decides to completely scrap this, which in itself will help to recreate more realistic scores. Putting is the hardest part of the game yet EA refuses to treat it as such. There is no incentive to hit an approach close to the pin or target certain parts of the green for easier putts when almost every hole is a one-putt from anywhere.

Also, introducing new mechanics is great, but useless if they still allow players to choose. What's the point of introducing a more realistic (read: harder) putting style if you still allow players to select the old one for the sake of scoring better (especially for online matches). Pick one and have the nuts to stand by it. What happened to the days of improving your skills to master a game instead of cheesing a game to pander to your lack of skill?

EA takes all their other sports games seriously and they can get quite challenging at the harder levels. Give Tiger the same.

And don't even let me get started on the Tournaments...
Like Fluffhead posted above, using the putt preview is user selectable and in TOUR PRO mode is defaulted to OFF. Putt preview is for casual users, not hardcore simulation users. Ironically, there are still some users on the EA Sports TW forums who are hoping this feature is still available in TW10. Again, casual users. EA has to cater the game to be playable for the widest target audience which includes casual arcade fans to the hardcore simulation fans like us.

And I won't get you started on the Tournaments....you are referring to online Tournaments, right?

# 62 DivotMaker @ 03/28/09 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshelto
Ok, for a long time now I have hoped of a true simulation. This could actually be very simple. EA needs to include a yardage book for every course. This should be a yardage book just like the pros use with yardages to different locations and green contours. Therefore, there would be no need for the most unrealistic part of the game no one mentions which is the ability to zoom to your exact location you want to hit on the green. If yardages were available, there would be no need for this feature in tour mode. Also, providing green contours would bring in real strategy because it makes the player decide where to hit the ball to have a straight putt. EA could partner with Skycaddie to produce this mechanic very easily. This would completely change the way the game is played on tour mode.
I like this idea a great deal and I have forwarded your suggestions to EA. Really good idea and the yardage book (called Caddie Book) is still in the 08 PC version....

# 63 DivotMaker @ 03/28/09 01:04 AM
http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...distances.aspx

I like how they are incorporating more risk/reward for tuning clubs and dialing in sweet spots. How does anyone else feel about this?

# 64 Zinger @ 03/28/09 08:05 AM
The squares on the putting grid in 09's ps3 version were huge and took away most of the skill of green-reading. I hope that in addition to the new putting meter there will be much smaller grid squares so that the contours of the green can be displayed in more realistic detail, making longer putts in particular harder.

# 65 Fluffhead @ 03/28/09 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker

I like how they are incorporating more risk/reward for tuning clubs and dialing in sweet spots. How does anyone else feel about this?
Correct me if I'm wrong as I've never really messed around with the tuner, but isn't this kind of the way it's set up now? I vaguely remember being able to tune workability and sacrificing accuracy in the process. The way it's discussed in this blog is kind of odd to me, with a driver anyway. With technology these days you really don't give up power for accuracy. Irons are a different beast though.

# 66 Klocker @ 03/28/09 12:57 PM
Quote:

I could be wrong, but they look like more realistic distances this year.

# 67 DivotMaker @ 03/28/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
The squares on the putting grid in 09's ps3 version were huge and took away most of the skill of green-reading. I hope that in addition to the new putting meter there will be much smaller grid squares so that the contours of the green can be displayed in more realistic detail, making longer putts in particular harder.
Quite honestly, I wish they would do away with grids altogether and give us more camera angles with better resolution to try to read the greens much like Expert mode in TW 08 for PC....THAT would be one helluva challenge as I play TW09 without grids in TOUR Pro and it is extremely satisfying to make a par.....

# 68 DivotMaker @ 03/28/09 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffhead
Correct me if I'm wrong as I've never really messed around with the tuner, but isn't this kind of the way it's set up now? I vaguely remember being able to tune workability and sacrificing accuracy in the process. The way it's discussed in this blog is kind of odd to me, with a driver anyway. With technology these days you really don't give up power for accuracy. Irons are a different beast though.
Yes, but they are tweaking the risk/reward to be more punitive the closer you get to 0% sweet spot and therefore making it more challenging to hit the ball straight....nice trade-offs from the sound of it.....

# 69 orthostud23 @ 03/28/09 06:45 PM
It does seem that they have toned down the distances from last years game. The question will be is how they tweak the swing stick. If I can still bring it straight down and back CONSISTENTLY then these distances wont mean squat because I can up my club to 75% tuned and still be averaging 340yds off the tee and hit a PW into most greens. If the swing stick has been tweaked a little to make hitting straight shots harder then this will be a good thing.

# 70 BLB34 @ 03/30/09 08:19 AM
On the same note as yardage books, I always wondered why EA has not put caddies in the game somehow (and I don't mean "caddy tips"). I think it would add an interesting dynamic, if done correctly, since a good caddie can give a player an edge. Of course, the player making the swings is ultimately responsible for success or failure, but a caddie can have some influence, good or bad. Maybe money earned in the game can be used to hire/pay more elite caddies. Likewise, you can "sack" your caddie if he screws up. We should see them animated on course too. After all, "it's in the game". Anyone think this has potential?

# 71 rolltide1017 @ 03/30/09 09:39 AM
Quote:
Yes, but they are tweaking the risk/reward to be more punitive the closer you get to 0% sweet spot and therefore making it more challenging to hit the ball straight....nice trade-offs from the sound of it.....
I think it sounds really good. I was pretty impressed with the club tuning last year. I thought added a nice level of difficulty that was missing in previous version. Was it still easy to hit straight shots because of the swing stick, yes. But if you did miss, you would miss badly with 0% sweet spot. Sounds like that is more punishing this year, which sounds good to me.

I like the caddy idea. While on the "it's in the game" subject, I wander if we will ever be able to play along side another pro in tournaments during the tour season. Don't know why EA hasn't adding tournament pairings to the game yet, I mean they've been apart of golf since forever. It would also be nice if the pairings update correctly through out the tournament, like if you are in first place or second, you would be in the final group on the last day. It'd be great to battle Tiger down the stretch to win a tournament in the game (like we saw yesterday at Bay Hill). When will that dynamic make it into the game?

# 72 orthostud23 @ 03/30/09 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
I think it sounds really good. I was pretty impressed with the club tuning last year. I thought added a nice level of difficulty that was missing in previous version. Was it still easy to hit straight shots because of the swing stick, yes. But if you did miss, you would miss badly with 0% sweet spot. Sounds like that is more punishing this year, which sounds good to me.

I like the caddy idea. While on the "it's in the game" subject, I wander if we will ever be able to play along side another pro in tournaments during the tour season. Don't know why EA hasn't adding tournament pairings to the game yet, I mean they've been apart of golf since forever. It would also be nice if the pairings update correctly through out the tournament, like if you are in first place or second, you would be in the final group on the last day. It'd be great to battle Tiger down the stretch to win a tournament in the game (like we saw yesterday at Bay Hill). When will that dynamic make it into the game?
I believe the tournament parings are IN this year. This was on one of the TW blogs. You still wont be paired with another AI though.

# 73 rolltide1017 @ 03/31/09 09:06 AM
Well, if you are not paired with another AI then pairings are not really in the game IMO.

EDIT: I just read the blog you were talking about. I see what they mean and that is a welcome addition. Near the end of the blog, he makes it sound like you will be paired with an AI golfer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by From EA blog
Implementing the new start times feature in PGA TOUR Season also gave us the opportunity to add groupings and pairings to this mode in the same way the PGA TOUR does.

In TW10, the player will be grouped in each tournament round as follows:
• 1st & 2nd Rounds: Random groupings of 3. The player will be playing the round at the same time as the two other AI golfers in their group.
• 3rd & 4th Rounds: Pairings are based on leaderboard position. The player will be playing at the same time as the AI golfer they get paired up with based on their position on the leaderboards.
So, does that mean we will see the AI golfer or will he be next to us "under the hood?"

# 74 Fluffhead @ 03/31/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
So, does that mean we will see the AI golfer or will he be next to us "under the hood?"
I for one hope it's under the hood. I have no interest in nearly doubling my round time as I wait around for AI golfer in the interest of realism. Playing all of those damn Tiger challenges is painful when you get in a match.

As a side note and maybe it's mentioned in the thread, but we will have to complete the Tiger challenge to unlock courses we paid for? Easily one of the lamest things I've seen in a sports game.

# 75 OnlookerDelay @ 03/31/09 07:13 PM
Quote:
EDIT: I just read the blog you were talking about. I see what they mean and that is a welcome addition. Near the end of the blog, he makes it sound like you will be paired with an AI golfer:

That bit was very confusing to me as well. I asked for some clarification on that in the respective blog's comments section, but it never got addressed. If I'm going to be paired with an AI player(s) in my "group", how is there presence and activity going to be depicted? I'm wondering if it will simply show a running total of your AI partners strokes on the hole? Will you see their ball mark, ball and tracer? Will their scores simply just appear on the next hole's digital leaderboard somewhere on the score?

Since we only have a dozen or so PGA Tour players in the game, I wonder if they'd be paired with you and playing along in living color? If this is so, I hope they'll give you the option to fast forward, or skip the end of their shot..... and puhleeeeze, give us the option to turn of both the player and the AI's pre-shot cut sequences!

# 76 sroz39 @ 04/10/09 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthostud23
It does seem that they have toned down the distances from last years game. The question will be is how they tweak the swing stick. If I can still bring it straight down and back CONSISTENTLY then these distances wont mean squat because I can up my club to 75% tuned and still be averaging 340yds off the tee and hit a PW into most greens. If the swing stick has been tweaked a little to make hitting straight shots harder then this will be a good thing.

I was just about to make this same point. It's been a problem for YEARS. The swing stick does not punish you nearly enough on Tour Mode. On top of that, the aiming circle doesn't function properly.

Firstly, the swing stick. In 09, it was very rare for me to swing perfectly straight back and then perfectly straight forward. almost never happened. But even if I was off, my shot went straight. This was even with my power and workability cranked up. I swear to you, my sweet spot on my irons was 1% (!?!) and I almost never hit a stray shot. But the swing tracker lines on the golf ball were almost never dead straight. It's why I ended up playing my PGA Season with only as high as my 1 iron, which I hit 270+ yards. It's as close to a "challenge" as you'll get in that game. On Tour difficulty, even the slightest variance from perfectly straight should result in a shot going somewhere other than in the middle of the aiming circle. Which brings me to my next point...

The aiming circle is completely flawed and does not work as intended. I remember when they brought this thing out a couple of year's back (I think it was 07), I got excited. They said that the circle represents where your golfer will hit the ball, based on a good swing and the size of this circle depended on your accuracy rating.

Well, it doesn't work like that at all. Basically, If you make a good swing, your ball will go into the middle of that circle. Doesn't matter if the circle is 5 yards wide or 30, the ball is heading for the middle of it. It's stupid. you might as well bring back the old pinpoint cursor from last gen cuz that's how this thing works. If it worked properly, then it would really bring alot of course management into the equation.

For example, if your aiming circle with your driver is 30 yards wide, like when you first start out, then that means if you make a good swing, the ball SHOULD end up somewhere in that circle. But if you're playing a hole where your driver reaches the part of the fairway that pinches in to be only 20 yards wide..well, maybe driver is not the best play. Because even if you make a perfect swing, the ball could end up 5 yards in the rough on either side if you right down the middle. It doesn't mean you COULDN'T hit it right in the middle of the circle, it just means it's just as likely that it won't, more likely even.

And if you didn't make a good swing, and you bring in more punishment for a slightly off swing like I mentioned above...well, now you have a whole new golf game. You'd face alot of situations like the pros do on Tour. It would make you play these virtual courses more like their original designers intended. And it would make Tour difficulty a BLAST. I don't know why the devs are so afraid to make Tour difficulty punishing. It's what we true golf fans want and it doesn't affect the casual golf fan who wants to bomb 350+ yard drives with power boost and spin control. That's what the BALANCED level is for.

Oh, and those distances shown on the blog aren't scaled back much at all...maybe 10 yards max. It's what makes online play feel how it does...where pars feel like bogeys and birdies feel like pars.

# 77 orthostud23 @ 04/10/09 02:10 PM
excellent post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I was just about to make this same point. It's been a problem for YEARS. The swing stick does not punish you nearly enough on Tour Mode. On top of that, the aiming circle doesn't function properly.

Firstly, the swing stick. In 09, it was very rare for me to swing perfectly straight back and then perfectly straight forward. almost never happened. But even if I was off, my shot went straight. This was even with my power and workability cranked up. I swear to you, my sweet spot on my irons was 1% (!?!) and I almost never hit a stray shot. But the swing tracker lines on the golf ball were almost never dead straight. It's why I ended up playing my PGA Season with only as high as my 1 iron, which I hit 270+ yards. It's as close to a "challenge" as you'll get in that game. On Tour difficulty, even the slightest variance from perfectly straight should result in a shot going somewhere other than in the middle of the aiming circle. Which brings me to my next point...

The aiming circle is completely flawed and does not work as intended. I remember when they brought this thing out a couple of year's back (I think it was 07), I got excited. They said that the circle represents where your golfer will hit the ball, based on a good swing and the size of this circle depended on your accuracy rating.

Well, it doesn't work like that at all. Basically, If you make a good swing, your ball will go into the middle of that circle. Doesn't matter if the circle is 5 yards wide or 30, the ball is heading for the middle of it. It's stupid. you might as well bring back the old pinpoint cursor from last gen cuz that's how this thing works. If it worked properly, then it would really bring alot of course management into the equation.

For example, if your aiming circle with your driver is 30 yards wide, like when you first start out, then that means if you make a good swing, the ball SHOULD end up somewhere in that circle. But if you're playing a hole where your driver reaches the part of the fairway that pinches in to be only 20 yards wide..well, maybe driver is not the best play. Because even if you make a perfect swing, the ball could end up 5 yards in the rough on either side if you right down the middle. It doesn't mean you COULDN'T hit it right in the middle of the circle, it just means it's just as likely that it won't, more likely even.

And if you didn't make a good swing, and you bring in more punishment for a slightly off swing like I mentioned above...well, now you have a whole new golf game. You'd face alot of situations like the pros do on Tour. It would make you play these virtual courses more like their original designers intended. And it would make Tour difficulty a BLAST. I don't know why the devs are so afraid to make Tour difficulty punishing. It's what we true golf fans want and it doesn't affect the casual golf fan who wants to bomb 350+ yard drives with power boost and spin control. That's what the BALANCED level is for.

Oh, and those distances shown on the blog aren't scaled back much at all...maybe 10 yards max. It's what makes online play feel how it does...where pars feel like bogeys and birdies feel like pars.

# 78 rolltide1017 @ 04/12/09 08:35 PM
Any word on what new courses are in this year's game?

# 79 DivotMaker @ 04/13/09 12:03 AM
EA has not released the new courses publicly, however the number that is coming with the DVD is 16. There will be DLC this year and the plan for the number of DLC courses is much more agressive than TW08 or 09.....

A tidbit regarding the courses from ESPN.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames...ory?id=4059603

# 80 DivotMaker @ 04/13/09 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
So it's safe to assume there will be none of those god awful fantasy courses (I didn't play TW09) that are put in to appeal to the 8 year olds that play the game.
I am not at liberty to answer this at this point due to NDA. That being said, there have been no fantasy courses in TW on the 360 to date.

I feel the same way as you do about them. I hate them and refuse to play them. However, there is a large contingent of TW users (mostly default players) who love the fantasy courses and are begging EA to release them for TW10. No idea if they will be offered as DLC or not in TW10, but personally they have no business being in any game with the PGA TOUR license on it....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.