Home
Madden 2010 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"For the first time in series history, when the ball hits the ground, it doesn't just go to the guy who randomly touches it. In "Madden NFL 10," players will pile on the ball, and gamers will need to pound the button that is shown on the screen to try to wrestle away the rock. As the button commands change on the screen, the ball can switch hands numerous times until the refs actually dig through the bodies and declare a winner.

"That sounds a lot more fun than being in a real pile," Brown says, laughing. "Guys will do just about anything to get that ball."

But the fumble pile isn't the only new addition to "Madden NFL 10," and ESPN sat down with the game's senior producer, Phil Frazier, to get all the dirt on the new game. Here are the five things you need to know about "Madden NFL 10" ..."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 johnnyg713 @ 04/28/09 05:50 PM
^ no.

# 122 Krodis @ 04/28/09 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1215
button mashing is part of a fun factor you need in all video games
I disagree pretty heavily here. 95% of times there are better ways to handle things then button mashing. I don't really find button mashing enjoyable at all.

With that said, I think the fumble recovery thing is part of the 5%. The only options really are button mash or no control at all.

# 123 Lava @ 04/28/09 05:53 PM
Good stuff, but I really hope the QB Evade doesn't work the first time every time like that article made it seem.

Secondly, I wish that the fight for the fumble was a random button combo sequence rather than mashing. If it is mashing, I wish the meter would be hidden at least.

# 124 johnnyg713 @ 04/28/09 06:01 PM
What I am very curious about is the actual fumble cutscenes.. I hope we dont see the same repetitive 3 or 4 scenes

# 125 carolina_boi @ 04/28/09 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
What I am very curious about is the actual fumble cutscenes.. I hope we dont see the same repetitive 3 or 4 scenes
Yeah i know what ya mean.. the repetivness could take away from the game and make it a"lil bit" boring aha but at the same time this new feature sounds GREAT ! as long as the meter isnt on the screen though, im happy with that. The button mashing - im already use to that so thats not a problem. But like i said .. the cut scenes sound cool as long as they dont get to repetitive in 1 game ! Looken forward to it though

# 126 carolina_boi @ 04/28/09 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Good stuff, but I really hope the QB Evade doesn't work the first time every time like that article made it seem.

Secondly, I wish that the fight for the fumble was a random button combo sequence rather than mashing. If it is mashing, I wish the meter would be hidden at least.

The qb evade is up to what team and what qb ur playin with. Like it said in the article , if your playn with a qb like Big Ben or a Vince Young, Of course its gonna be hard for that defensive player to bring you down the first time. But if your playing with a qb like Kyle Orton or a Marc Bulger then the odds of you executing that qb evade are slim, it all has to do with your teams offensive line, that qb's rating, and timing. Its a GREAT feature added and im looking forward to it

# 127 NYyankz225 @ 04/28/09 06:24 PM
I said this when fight for the fumble was announced. It needs to be RUMBLE based. And since I see you guys finally decided to use rumble for QB pocket presence I'm surprised you didn't attempt to connect it with this feature. Here's my quick idea:

Alternate the left and right triggers (this should avoid turbo mashers) to fight for control. Have the velocity of rumble increase as you are losing control of the ball. Think of it as arm wrestling. As your opponent is coming closer to pinning your arm you'll be more desperate (more vibrating) and you'll know you have to press faster. I think Rockstar used this in GTA IV The Lost and Damned for their arm wrestling mechanic.

In the case of a pile up this gives the user SOME idea of if they're winning or losing without knowing for sure since you can't actually see everything that's going on. No need for a meter, and it still allows the user to have control while at the same time being able to enjoy watching all your new technology at work. Do you really want all of your hard work involved in getting pileups looking realistic wasted by having players not even look at it because of a meter??

C'mon Ian I know you can work this out! I thought of it as soon as I heard about the feature. You guys are talented...get it done.

# 128 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
I said this when fight for the fumble was announced. It needs to be RUMBLE based. And since I see you guys finally decided to use rumble for QB pocket presence I'm surprised you didn't attempt to connect it with this feature. Here's my quick idea:

Alternate the left and right triggers (this should avoid turbo mashers) to fight for control. Have the velocity of rumble increase as you are losing control of the ball. Think of it as arm wrestling. As your opponent is coming closer to pinning your arm you'll be more desperate (more vibrating) and you'll know you have to press faster. I think Rockstar used this in GTA IV The Lost and Damned for their arm wrestling mechanic.

In the case of a pile up this gives the user SOME idea of if they're winning or losing without knowing for sure since you can't actually see everything that's going on. No need for a meter, and it still allows the user to have control while at the same time being able to enjoy watching all your new technology at work. Do you really want all of your hard work involved in getting pileups looking realistic wasted by having players not even look at it because of a meter??

C'mon Ian I know you can work this out! I thought of it as soon as I heard about the feature. You guys are talented...get it done.
You do realize that not all PS3 controllers have rumble built in... I don't think the PS3 controller that comes with the PS3 has rumble built in...

I don't think Madden should incorporate any features that forces someone to buy a rumble controller just to be on the same playing field as their opponent who has more $$.

The pressure thing is not a big deal IMO, so I don't really care if my controller doesn't rumble when someone is about to sack me... heck it hasn't rumbled for the last 10 years and I managed to deal with it

But causing me to lose a fumble because I don't have rumble is a bit more important...

# 129 Blkcanes @ 04/28/09 06:29 PM
I Feel kind of happy right now reading this. Seems as if two of my ideas made it in madden 10.

# 130 NYyankz225 @ 04/28/09 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You do realize that not all PS3 controllers have rumble built in... I don't think the PS3 controller that comes with the PS3 has rumble built in...

I don't think Madden should incorporate any features that forces someone to buy a rumble controller just to be on the same playing field as their opponent who has more $$.

The pressure thing is not a big deal IMO, so I don't really care if my controller doesn't rumble when someone is about to sack me... heck it hasn't rumbled for the last 10 years and I managed to deal with it

But causing me to lose a fumble because I don't have rumble is a bit more important...
Well you can still use this feature because technically your success is not dependent on the rumble, it's just a way to communicate to the user that you're losing and need to press faster. Personally I think without rumble on your controller you're losing a lot more by not feeling a tackle incoming as a QB in the game than the fight for the fumble mechanic I am suggesting.

Of course if Sony wasn't such a stickler with the Immersion lawsuit this wouldn't be an issue at all. And as far as I know the new rumble controllers are packaged with all new PS3s. Not sure on that though.

# 131 icomb1ne @ 04/28/09 06:40 PM
Ugh...I hate the idea of the meter and the changing button thing. Button mashing seems okay, but I don't think the button should be changing. Also, I hope ratings have an effect

# 132 Vikes1 @ 04/28/09 06:41 PM
Button mashing and simulation, seems like an odd mix. But not that big of a deal I guess.

But the meter and changing button icons to mash?....a bit over the top for my taste. Glad to hear theres at least a chance Ian may decided to oust the meter.

But all else sounds great. This Pro-Tak looks and sounds like a real game changer...for the better.

# 133 DLaren @ 04/28/09 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I am actually quite surprised they released this (and that Phil told it to them like fact). Truth is we still don't know how it's going to work.

I need to decide basically this week...but I am definitely not crazy about the meter.

I have a deep distaste for button-mashing in sports games, and since I will be playing Madden'10 in coach mode, I'm assuming that the outcome of fumble pile-ups will be totally dependent on ratings.

Is it safe too assume that playing in coach-mode (or watching CPUvsCPU) will also negate having to deal with meters popping-up on-screen? If not, can we have an option to turn off the 'fumble-meter'?

Thanks for any further clarification.

# 134 Blaxican8504 @ 04/28/09 06:50 PM
I would say just make the pileups and the fight for the ball completely random.

# 135 CreatineKasey @ 04/28/09 06:54 PM
I'd ditch the meter. Let the drama build. We wouldn't lose control, we'd just lose the ability to know the result, which is half the fun!

As far as the vibration with pressure... I like it. This should further the development of pocket mechanics. As long as the blitzes and pass rush is merciless and correct along with this mechanic... it should be balanced. Its very important to allow the ability to evade a free defender, especially DB's. Roethlisberger did this every single game and it is a very common thing in football when extending a play.

The pocket presence mechanic will force us to call more balanced blitzes. If the free guy can't get the QB, we'll have to contain him and bottle the QB up. This strategy characterizes EXACTLY what the titans did last season against Roethlisberger. Keep him contained then sack him. It was hard to watch

Good read. Glad we got it early

# 136 Ian_Cummings @ 04/28/09 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The drawback to the meter though is like AJ said down in Orlando, all of the suspense is gone b/c you know what the ref's call is going to be. I'm in the minority I bet, but I'd be content with giving up control in these instances if it meant more suspense for the user.
This was key to the early design though...the meter actually drops out but you can keep hitting buttons to gain possession. You don't truly know who wins until the ref gets to the bottom of the pile....the meter disappears a good 2-3 seconds before he "finds out" the winner.

# 137 Bgamer90 @ 04/28/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
This was key to the early design though...the meter actually drops out but you can keep hitting buttons to gain possession. You don't truly know who wins until the ref gets to the bottom of the pile....the meter disappears a good 2-3 seconds before he "finds out" the winner.

Oh okay.

Now that you said that... I actually probably wouldn't mind the meter at all lol. I would still like it better if it was removed but I would be fine if it isn't now that you said that.

# 138 thudias @ 04/28/09 07:13 PM
Quote:
Could we just make it longer without the meter? Have the meter pop up for a second or three then disappear for the remaining 7 seconds.

# 139 Badboy49er @ 04/28/09 07:17 PM
Quote:
If it has to stay could it at the least be much smaller and out of the way so we can see the action....i just want to be able to see the fighting going on. Like BeZo said, it looks great so dont cover it up. I actually like that its button mashing, its cool to have some control IMO

# 140 nsilvano21 @ 04/28/09 07:19 PM
Quote:
Is there anyway you can eliminate pressing buttons and make it the joysticks? When it goes to the cutscene, u should have to move the joysticks around as if ur moving ur arms around for the ball

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.