Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The new Madden NFL 10 blog is online, taking a deeper look into pass blocking.

Quote:
"Hello Madden faithful - it's Monday, and it’s time for another blog! This week we'll be following up a little bit on the last PRO-TAK blog [link]. We covered gang tackling in detail last time, so for this blog we thought we’d dig a little deeper on our pass blocking, and also mention how PRO-TAK’s dynamic steering technology will help take our blocking a little bit farther into that next level that we know we need to hit of realism. At the top of nearly every community wish list for the past 3+ years has been OL/DL interaction…so this year we’re proud to say we’ve spent a really good amount of time improving this area, and we’ve also built a strong foundation that we can continue to add on to in the future."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 spankdatazz22 @ 05/13/09 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Last gen Madden had it right too. The greatest Madden game ever--Madden 2003 had the sprint button as a icon for the WR and it was difficult to roll and chuck or go back 20 yards and throw.

Then came the abysmal called Madden 2004.
Agree wholeheartedly

# 202 RogueHominid @ 05/13/09 12:06 PM
I liked the footage of the DE/OT engagement. I love APF's system, but this one looks even more active and dynamic than that. The individual engagements are looking really nice and are a great extension of the Pro-Tak tech.!

What I really want to see, though, is evidence that the whole works as well as the sum of the parts. We're getting very partial views of passing "pockets" thus far. What 2K was able to do was create the whole entity with realistic integrity, breakdown, and interaction every single play. I want to see whether or not Madden can create an entire, dynamic, and realistic pocket with this tech, or whether it's just going to give us very pretty and very dynamic individual shots.

Not that those two options are mutually exclusive, but I wonder if OL will have the awareness to double and pass off, backs to help out, and the OL as a whole to form, or attempt to form, a genuine pocket.

# 203 SageInfinite @ 05/13/09 12:27 PM
Getting closer to release I'd love Ian to do a blog and show how the cheesy maneuvers are non-existent now, if they really are. Showing maybe the qb sneak being ineffective, full back dive, roll and chuck ect.

# 204 SageInfinite @ 05/13/09 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
^^ lol, is that ice la fox?
Yezzir

# 205 LBzrule @ 05/13/09 04:29 PM
You can roll and chuck in 2k8 too, if you do it from the shotgun and have a gold QB. This is the mistake that Madden 10 cannot make. This is why I keep saying it and will keep saying it. That pocket has got to set up faster. 2k8 had a pocket and it mattered when the QB was under center, but it did not matter much when he was in the gun. All you had to do is hike it, move the stick so the QB would not move. The DE's would go right into the tackles leaving the outside wide open. It is especially evident on the 2 back shotgun sets.

Tombsong you know the play I do this with too. Shotgun 2 back 50 X Cross I believe or Y cross. I send the WR opposite of the crossing route on a streak to clear it out for the crossing route coming underneath. Every time I've run that play against anyone, I'm rolling to the right and I had a high completion percentage on that play. And this is with a pocket. So to me, it does not matter that you simply have a pocket. This thing has gotta set up with speed and the DE's and OLB's have got to run the arc to stop the easy going outside by the QB.

I'd prefer it that the DE's/OLB's when they are running the arc to be 1 step away from the QB as he bounces off of his heels from the drop. When the QB is in the gun and if he does not drop, I'd still prefer the DE's and OLB's to stay on that arc. Do not engage the tackles simply because the QB does not move backwards. They need to stay outside so that you have to wait longer if you want to try to get outside. But the longer you wait the worse things will be for you when you attempt to move.

# 206 Captain Obvious @ 05/13/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

Tombsong you know the play I do this with too. Shotgun 2 back 50 X Cross I believe or Y cross. I send the WR opposite of the crossing route on a streak to clear it out for the crossing route coming underneath. Every time I've run that play against anyone, I'm rolling to the right and I had a high completion percentage on that play. And this is with a pocket. So to me, it does not matter that you simply have a pocket. This thing has gotta set up with speed and the DE's and OLB's have got to run the arc to stop the easy going outside by the QB.

YO! that play was sick, i loved it, always bailed me out cause you had alot of options. but all is good cause ian already posted somewhere that hes working on getting the pocket set up faster. its gonna be sick

*throws up*

# 207 Valdarez @ 05/13/09 07:30 PM
I'm not sure if it's as easy as LBz makes it out to be. The QBs are extremely slow to accelerate and decelerate and are some of the slowest players in the game in general. This is not realistic of course, but it does greatly hinder the roll out aspect on non-roll out based plays. In general, you're going to need a faster (high tiered) QB to perform this well. I honestly don't scramble unless the pocket breaks down, so I'm not sure how easy it is, and almost no other players scramble either (no competitive ones at least). All you have to do is call a Fan DLine call to make an easy sack when they do.

# 208 NYyankz225 @ 05/13/09 07:38 PM
It's not as easy as Madden but it's definitely doable.

# 209 LBzrule @ 05/13/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I'm not sure if it's as easy as LBz makes it out to be. The QBs are extremely slow to accelerate and decelerate and are some of the slowest players in the game in general. This is not realistic of course, but it does greatly hinder the roll out aspect on non-roll out based plays. In general, you're going to need a faster (high tiered) QB to perform this well. I honestly don't scramble unless the pocket breaks down, so I'm not sure how easy it is, and almost no other players scramble either (no competitive ones at least). All you have to do is call a Fan DLine call to make an easy sack when they do.
You might disagree and that's cool, but it is IMO because all of the pass rushers in 2k from DL to LB's are all TIED to the QB. I had a convo with the 2k developers about this. This is why we always complained about the LB's taking bad blitz angles (although there were/are other problems with that, this is one of them). It's not necessarily they take bad angles all the time. They are tied to the QB and when that QB stops that's when they turn. Notice they never rounded off their routes to the QB even when they had a lane to do so. They didn't round them off as long as the QB was dropping. In 2k8 and even 2k5 as long as the QB is dropping the Blitzers will run down, the DL will do what you called for the most part. But as soon as you stop that QB the DL and the blitzers will stop doing what they are doing and turn.

So if you are in the shotgun and you just stop the QB immediately, the DL immediately is going to turn in, no matter what line stunt you call. Madden 2010 must not make this mistake for pass rushers when the QB is in the shotgun or the pass rush will only be effective against the offense when the QB is under the Center.

Let me show a very old video I have on youtube that showcases this problem. In the video I work it from under center and even there you can see as soon as the QB stops the defender turns, but he does not turn where he should. Also forgive the voice, I had a cold and was up until 4 a.m recording this as you will see guys logging on LOL. This video only shows the general problem of defenders being tied to the QB. Not the specific play I was talking about above.

# 210 LBzrule @ 05/13/09 07:53 PM
Quote:
You can negate fan Dline stunt easily, especially from Shotgun Split.

# 211 Cyros @ 05/13/09 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
^^ lol, is that ice la fox?
I must say sir, good call without a good face shot.

# 212 stiffarmleft @ 05/13/09 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
I must say sir, good call without a good face shot.
She likes face shots.

# 213 SageInfinite @ 05/13/09 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
She likes face shots.

# 214 Tre74 @ 05/13/09 08:33 PM
we need touch passing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 215 Valdarez @ 05/13/09 09:02 PM
Quote:
You might disagree and that's cool

Not disagreeing, just saying I haven't done it enough to know myself. I never roll out unless the pocket collapses, and when I see other guys doing it against me, I call DLine Fan, and I almost always get a sack.

btw - that video is set to private. No one can see it.

# 216 LBzrule @ 05/14/09 09:29 AM
Quote:
Not disagreeing, just saying I haven't done it enough to know myself. I never roll out unless the pocket collapses, and when I see other guys doing it against me, I call DLine Fan, and I almost always get a sack.

btw - that video is set to private. No one can see it.
Try now, but I'm going to take it back down soon.

# 217 Cyros @ 05/14/09 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
She likes face shots.
Well played sir!

# 218 LBzrule @ 05/14/09 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
why is the video set to private?
It was originally something I was showing the 2k devs. Out of respect for them I'll just leave it that way. But the issue is clear IMO. If the defenders in Madden 2010 are tied to the QB, like 2k8 then having a pocket will only be significant when the QB is under center. If they are going to have the defenders tied to the QB then they need to have the DE's and OLB's get up the field a lot faster. To me, in 2k8, that was the problem when people lined up in shotgun. The pocket did not set up fast enough and joe cheeser with a 6'6 QB and 6'6 WR's were gonna give you hell. In such games I didn't even play defense, I just made sure I got the ball last so I could score and seal it. I hate that kind of game. I just want to try and make sure that no stone goes unturned with respect to cheeze tactics (offense in particular) for Madden 10

# 219 Valdarez @ 05/14/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
It was originally something I was showing the 2k devs. Out of respect for them I'll just leave it that way. But the issue is clear IMO. If the defenders in Madden 2010 are tied to the QB, like 2k8 then having a pocket will only be significant when the QB is under center. If they are going to have the defenders tied to the QB then they need to have the DE's and OLB's get up the field a lot faster. To me, in 2k8, that was the problem when people lined up in shotgun. The pocket did not set up fast enough and joe cheeser with a 6'6 QB and 6'6 WR's were gonna give you hell. In such games I didn't even play defense, I just made sure I got the ball last so I could score and seal it. I hate that kind of game. I just want to try and make sure that no stone goes unturned with respect to cheeze tactics (offense in particular) for Madden 10
Nothing wrong with them being tied to the QB, that's the virtual end point, but they need to have better pathing logic in there. Are you sure the LBs are tied to the QB? I have seen LBs take paths that definitely don't match the QB's movements. Many times the LBs paths in APF2K8 don't make any sense at all.

# 220 KILLAKAVOR @ 05/14/09 07:38 PM
CHECK MY BLOG....NEW MADDEN 10 MAIN MENU SCREEN

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.