Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The new Madden NFL 10 blog is online, taking a deeper look into pass blocking.

Quote:
"Hello Madden faithful - it's Monday, and it’s time for another blog! This week we'll be following up a little bit on the last PRO-TAK blog [link]. We covered gang tackling in detail last time, so for this blog we thought we’d dig a little deeper on our pass blocking, and also mention how PRO-TAK’s dynamic steering technology will help take our blocking a little bit farther into that next level that we know we need to hit of realism. At the top of nearly every community wish list for the past 3+ years has been OL/DL interaction…so this year we’re proud to say we’ve spent a really good amount of time improving this area, and we’ve also built a strong foundation that we can continue to add on to in the future."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 NYyankz225 @ 05/11/09 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
That was a nice ball strip animation there in the Madden 10 video, except that it was on Romo.

Did you guys notice the swim move Spears used at the end? Are those moves user controllable (triggerable) in Madden like they are in APF2K8?
Yes, that's user controlled.

# 82 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/11/09 07:04 PM
I love the blog Ian. Great job. But Ian you said at the end that there will be more blogs in the coming weeks on the movements and stuff. Please take off a week from the graphics and game play blogs and give of a juicey blog about the updates that has been done in franchise mode. It really kind of gets boring after while when all you do it talk bout the same stuff. Don't get me wrong I love these blogs. But give us some info from franchise stuff update. The only blog done on franchise mode a bout 3 months ago said there will be more franchise blogs soon. But in 3 months nothing. Just please Ian give us a break give us some info on another part of the game for a change. But again Ian you are doing a real good job.

# 83 Glorious Arc @ 05/11/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
EDIT: A little off topic, but at the end of the video, you can see #87 (receiver) stumbling and nearly falling down while running their route (not sure if it's a bump, or just a slip, but either way, a nice addition).
It looks as if #20 pushes him and he slips. Afterwards #20 takes off running out of the screen but I think he was covering the RB or was in zone. I cant really be sure but good notice.

EDIT:
Im not sure if its because of the way the video was captured or if Im seeing things but at the end of the clip it almost looks like the sack taking place stops for a moment and then proceeds with hitting the QB. It looks really jerky. The sack animation almost looks like it should be taking place a perfect stand still but it shouldnt because the DE has some speed built up and should just level the QB.

Otherwise I loved the new moves. The dip by the DE was great and the other animations were good.

# 84 ShimSham @ 05/11/09 07:09 PM
Please give us something on whether or not we can expect the implementation of double-team blocks and 3-4 and 4-3 defenses looking and playing differently.

# 85 TreyIM2 @ 05/11/09 07:14 PM
Oops, gotta correct myself. I forgot that they show Romo in the Madden 10 clip as well as the Madden 09 clip...

Valdarez - Yea, that is tight but u meant #86. I kept looking for #87 all over to catch the stumble then noticed #86 stumbling into view. That is sweet. The little things can mean a lot.

Pantherbeast - Be easy, bruh, he's getting to it, slowly but surely. U notice how much of this has already brushed upon then Ian loops back to the topic for a more in depth look. Personally, I'm not that much of an indepth franchise guy but always play in my franchise and even do the off season management with pencil and pad handy so whatever they do to improve it, I'm ok with. I'm more into the onfield gameplay, graphics, animations, and presentations but especially the gameplay. Can't wait til the E3 presentation blowout Phil Frazier said is coming. Already seen a little of the onfield presentation stuff with the injuries and sideline aspects on Jimmy Fallon.

# 86 ShimSham @ 05/11/09 07:15 PM
Oh, one nice thing I noticed. When Romo starts to scramble, it looks like he's keeping his head mostly facing up field. Which was a big complaint of mine in the past games, if you scrambled with the QB, they'd always face the sideline. Which was really, really, really bad looking. (especially if you threw while scrambling)

# 87 thudias @ 05/11/09 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
It looks as if #20 pushes him and he slips. Afterwards #20 takes off running out of the screen but I think he was covering the RB or was in zone. I cant really be sure but good notice.

That was one of my favorite parts.

# 88 Valdarez @ 05/11/09 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Valdarez - Yea, that is tight but u meant #86. I kept looking for #87 all over to catch the stumble then noticed #86 stumbling into view. That is sweet. The little things can mean a lot.
Sucks being blind, and that shot is hard to see. I paused through it, and you're right, it's not #87. I see where you are getting #86 from, as that's the player lined up to the right on the first play. They actually have two plays here though, it's not the same play/sack (notice how Spears breaks his block to make the sack in each one to see that they are different). Thus it's not #86 to the right. By carefully pausing it, I was finally able to get a good view of the number as the WR was falling down. It's #85. I updated my other post. Thanks for the catch.

Quote:
Already seen a little of the onfield presentation stuff with the injuries and sideline aspects on Jimmy Fallon.
That Fallon show was classic, with him being led of the field after one play on the cart.

# 89 Rocky @ 05/11/09 07:23 PM
I really don't want to be a debbie downer here. It's just frustrating when my biggest pet peeves don't get addressed year after year.

WHY

Why

WHY

WHY?!!?!!?

Why does the QB have to move like that in the pocket? (in reference to the 3rd clip the Joe Flacco clip)

Not only is that physically impossible......but it looks absolutely atrocious.

# 90 Americas Team1 @ 05/11/09 07:24 PM
Quote:
Americas Team1 - U can try to strip the ball, even in previous Maddens. 08 and 09 had it and maybe, even, 07, at least on the PS2 version, if I remember correctly. Plus, not every tackle is going to be a ball strip attempt, my friend. Chill out.
Some of u posted about how Ian should be blowing all out with info by now. Nah, not in the plans. It's bit by bit every week as he first stated back in Jan on his blog. I like it this way, anyway, because it just makes me want this game soooo bad. I feel like a kid again counting down til Christmas, months ahead.
I think I will actually do a Madden Midnight Madness this year, for real, and may even be first in line. When I say I cannot wait, I cannot...but I have to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6v8q-SgQUY
OK how about I would like to see the same animations as the one at 3:10 on the vid cause I have not seen it MASTER.

# 91 seveb @ 05/11/09 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Dang it, Ian, I thought you were gonna open the flood gates on this one, man. I was hoping we could finally let loose the hounds on blocking.
Shoot...makes it sound like there is a LOT more to say. Everything looks really good so far, but it's hard to make any sort of big picture blocking critique (i.e. double teams, can bull-rushers collapse pockets, do run blockers get to the second level or turn around to block an irrelevant player, etc.)

Eh, I'm getting greedy. It looks very promising thus far. Nice work. Keep tunin'

# 92 g2thecore @ 05/11/09 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
I love the blog Ian. Great job. But Ian you said at the end that there will be more blogs in the coming weeks on the movements and stuff. Please take off a week from the graphics and game play blogs and give of a juicey blog about the updates that has been done in franchise mode. It really kind of gets boring after while when all you do it talk bout the same stuff. Don't get me wrong I love these blogs. But give us some info from franchise stuff update. The only blog done on franchise mode a bout 3 months ago said there will be more franchise blogs soon. But in 3 months nothing. Just please Ian give us a break give us some info on another part of the game for a change. But again Ian you are doing a real good job.
This.

# 93 Joborule @ 05/11/09 07:38 PM
Blocking has been something that has been badly needed to be readdressed as reflected in the community wishlist over the past several years. So with a good amount of time invested towards it this year and setting a base to build on it for the future is a great thing to hear. Blocking isn't just going to be worked on this year and then left alone for a long while as the it has been in previous years. Looks like it should get some work done on it for future Maddens.

It's critical however that the linemen actually know what a pocket is and set one up appropriately. Linemen should impose that the inside is not going to be an easy option to enter through, and when they engage with a defender, it's in position to only allow them to move around the outside since that's the longer way to the QB. If users are running around the outside too much, they should start paying the price if they aren't doing it responsibly because the linemen should be trying to cover there asses inside the pocket instead of outside the pocket. The linemen responsibility is to make sure by angling off at the snap of the ball so they have the inside position contained and can push the player off towards the side. I don't see that emphasize enough in the videos still for the tackles though. He's too parallel to the LOS rather then angling off like a semi parabola. This seems to happen because the linemen isn't locked on to who the block yet. When he finds his target, then he begins to get in position to defend, but this is happening to slowly for tackles especially. If you are unsure of who to defend, you still gotta angle off properly so your ready for the defender to come and attack and you don't have to try to rework your position. Because the potential issues I can see with the linemen not doing this is that a defender can cut up in front of the linemen and get to the QB untouched as in years past. If he's properly position however, he can side step inwards to cut off his path better, and in better position to keep the defender towards the outside if he has the inside covered well enough.

Another thing I see by looking at those videos is it looks like the players are attacking too far up and aren't getting low enough. Being so high up should lead to players being venerable since they would be unbalanced. If you get a player attacking up that high, then if a player gets lower then him, he's gonna be on the advantage because he has more depth and balance then the other player and can push the players up and drive them because they're in a more powerful position.

While those are the two negatives, I do the ability to branch off naturally. The animations did play out nicely.

# 94 adub88 @ 05/11/09 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
they are in Nickel though. They are staying a little bit lower coming out of their stance than they did at CD. It's looking better. I'd like to see some smaller, faster guys rush the passer. I had some fun with Suggs in the CD build. Should have subbed him in.
Tru that, hey Ian can we get a vid with an o-lineman going up against a guy like Dwight Freeney or Justin Tuck? I agree with you all that say the d-line is running right into the o-lineman rather than trying to avoid him. That's cool if you're doing a bull rush, but if you wanna do a speed rush or set up the lineman for a spin move, having your defender run right into the o-lineman could be just downright frustrating.

Keep up the good work, game is looking crazy!!!!

# 95 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/11/09 07:41 PM
Quote:
Oops, gotta correct myself. I forgot that they show Romo in the Madden 10 clip as well as the Madden 09 clip...

Pantherbeast - Be easy, bruh, he's getting to it, slowly but surely. U notice how much of this has already brushed upon then Ian loops back to the topic for a more in depth look. Personally, I'm not that much of an indepth franchise guy but always play in my franchise and even do the off season management with pencil and pad handy so whatever they do to improve it, I'm ok with. I'm more into the onfield gameplay, graphics, animations, and presentations but especially the gameplay. Can't wait til the E3 presentation blowout Phil Frazier said is coming. Already seen a little of the onfield presentation stuff with the injuries and sideline aspects on Jimmy Fallon.
Well I ain't getting mad at Ian for these blogs. They are good and I enjoy. But like anything. Too much of it at once you get bord of it and want something else to see and do. I am a indepth franchise love. I mean gameplay to me is a big thing aswell. But all I am asking Ian to do is give us one blog about franchise mode. But I just talk with Adem he said he expect most of the franchise info to comeout at E3 in a few weeks I hope so. But again I think Ian and his crew is doing a outstanding job. I have no complaints/ I know Ian is trying his best and thats all I are any other respect madden fan ask out of him. Just because I Ian for a simple franchise blog doesn't make me into a bad guy around here lol. I mean I can wait. But it would be nice for a little more info once in a while.

# 96 TreyIM2 @ 05/11/09 07:42 PM
Americas Team1 - NICE! That is hot and that would definitely be great to put in the game as a strip attempt. Wooo. I had to stop typing this and watch it again.

ROCKY - Nah, not being a downer. U had a legit comment and I have, too, felt the same. Hopefully, Ian and co. will rid us of that unrealistic movement.

# 97 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 05/11/09 07:43 PM
I liked how the DE came off his block to grab Romo for the sack, hope to see this alot when they try to run helter skelter out of the pocket in live game...

# 98 CreatineKasey @ 05/11/09 07:46 PM
Good stuff. I'll be especially interested to see how the faster, more athletic pass rushers choose to take on a DE. Dwight Freeny's spin move and James Harrison's dip-rip speed rush should be pretty sick!

I can definitely relate with the extended animations. Can't tell you how many times I've rushed the passer and couldn't turn into the QB because of this.

# 99 adub88 @ 05/11/09 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Good stuff. I'll be especially interested to see how the faster, more athletic pass rushers choose to take on a DE. Dwight Freeny's spin move and James Harrison's dip-rip speed rush should be pretty sick!

I can definitely relate with the extended animations. Can't tell you how many times I've rushed the passer and couldn't turn into the QB because of this.
sick moves right here on this page. Check out play 9, dude never had a chance lol

http://www.dwightfreeney.com/ssp/gal...&clientId=32is

# 100 TreyIM2 @ 05/11/09 07:51 PM
Pantherbeast - I gotcha. Don't think your a bad guy for that post, at all. Just wasn't sure if u were aware of Ian's info rationing, and, actually, I believe the whole cat will be let out of the bag at E3, for the most part. Can't wait for E3, as well the game's actual release.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.