Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The new Madden NFL 10 blog is online, taking a deeper look into pass blocking.

Quote:
"Hello Madden faithful - it's Monday, and it’s time for another blog! This week we'll be following up a little bit on the last PRO-TAK blog [link]. We covered gang tackling in detail last time, so for this blog we thought we’d dig a little deeper on our pass blocking, and also mention how PRO-TAK’s dynamic steering technology will help take our blocking a little bit farther into that next level that we know we need to hit of realism. At the top of nearly every community wish list for the past 3+ years has been OL/DL interaction…so this year we’re proud to say we’ve spent a really good amount of time improving this area, and we’ve also built a strong foundation that we can continue to add on to in the future."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Rocky @ 05/11/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Americas Team1 - NICE! That is hot and that would definitely be great to put in the game as a strip attempt. Wooo. I had to stop typing this and watch it again.

ROCKY - Nah, not being a downer. U had a legit comment and I have, too, felt the same. Hopefully, Ian and co. will rid us of that unrealistic movement.
Thanks. I did forget the mention that I think the Pro-Tak technology in regards to OL/DL looks magnificent.

# 102 NYG34 @ 05/11/09 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djKianoosh
I'd like to know if they've worked on adding TE and HB's chip blocking to help out their tackles against the elite pass rushers. as the Eagles, I don't want to be sacked 10 times every time I play the Giants just cause they're the Giants. I want to be able to scheme against them and protect my QB.

yea but in real life when we have osi back ur goin to be sacked 10+.

# 103 ghostlight85 @ 05/11/09 08:04 PM
Very nice. I'm liking what I see of pro-tak for OL/DL. Now if we can get some double teams and if you could just do us a favor and show us Haynesworth collapsing the pocket from the inside or spoiling a running play by clogging the lanes because of the lack of a double team... I think blocking would be solved from a tools standpoint, and then it's just a matter of tuning and logic.

# 104 dark_warhawk @ 05/11/09 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I really don't want to be a debbie downer here. It's just frustrating when my biggest pet peeves don't get addressed year after year.

WHY

Why

WHY

WHY?!!?!!?

Why does the QB have to move like that in the pocket? (in reference to the 3rd clip the Joe Flacco clip)

Not only is that physically impossible......but it looks absolutely atrocious.

i agree 150% that looked awful they need to open up the hips and shoulders when they scramble

on the bright side it gave me a chuckle watching him do those fast baby steps

# 105 Captain Obvious @ 05/11/09 08:09 PM
damn people are going to go ballistic on Ian if there arent nay double teams when he shows the run blocking, he better choose carefully lol

# 106 Ian_Cummings @ 05/11/09 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ian one thing I see looking alot better though from these vids is the timing of the DT's engagement with interior Olinemen. Previously the line would be standing up waiting for them, but from what I see here, the DT's engage the Olinemen pretty damn quick and that's a good thing.
That's definitely something I've personally been working on tuning based on you guys' feedback from community day. We still have to get the pocket forming faster and get the initial moves more natural...but it's definitely coming along.

# 107 Captain Obvious @ 05/11/09 08:32 PM
ian can i ask why you only showed 3-4 ends and not guys like ware, osi, merriman, peppers and so on...?

# 108 johnnyg713 @ 05/11/09 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith121212
I just looked at Flacco again and I agree. That looked AWFUL

To the point that its funny. There is no way its going to be left like that in the final game I think.
wow I agree, with a true pocket this year they def need to address how the QB moves inside it. Big issue.

# 109 don28 @ 05/11/09 08:40 PM
Good job, Ian! I enjoyed the Pro-Tak blog as well. As a former 2K player who left Madden in 2004, I am glad to say that I will be back for Madden 10. I think you and the team are on the right path.

Madden 10 will be a marked improvement, and I'm sure there are going to be bright days ahead.

# 110 PolkaDot @ 05/11/09 08:43 PM
Quote:

To the point that its funny. There is no way its going to be left like that in the final game I think.
I'm not seeing what yall are talking about . . . Enlighten me.

Doesn't look great, but doesn't look bad either.

# 111 RGiles36 @ 05/11/09 08:45 PM
The blocking looked pretty good to me.

It's off topic, but I wish the last steps of the QB dropbacks were more fluid. You only see glimpses in the M10 vid that Ian posted, but I can see the awkwardness in it . I just wish they were more fluid like those in this youtube clip (included the link in case the vid doesn't show up; my embedding skills could use work):

# 112 Obelysk @ 05/11/09 08:50 PM
McGahee looks white in that video.

# 113 Ian_Cummings @ 05/11/09 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
ian can i ask why you only showed 3-4 ends and not guys like ware, osi, merriman, peppers and so on...?
Time.

# 114 Rocky @ 05/11/09 08:56 PM
Quote:

Dude, it's going to be in there.

I complained about it in Madden '07....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '08....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '09 (http://www.operationsports.com/forum....html).....and it looks like nothing is happening.

This one of my biggest pet peeves and year after year it goes unfixed. At least in last gen versions, the momentum was so great, it was hard to make sudden movements with your QB. The developers this gen seem completely oblivious that the problem exist.

# 115 djKianoosh @ 05/11/09 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG34
yea but in real life when we have osi back ur goin to be sacked 10+.
LOL, touche. hopefully our revamped O line will be able to keep ya'll at bay. NFC East is gonna be hype this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Time.
We do appreciate the time but people are frothing at the mouth around here for whatever it is ya'll will announce at E3.

# 116 BrianFifaFan @ 05/11/09 09:00 PM
Quote:
Time.
So when can you guys tell us about how the RS D-line moves work? I am really intrigued, as I really wanted this upgraded. Are they "shaped?" Come on Ian, spill the beans!

# 117 KyGamerLT @ 05/11/09 09:01 PM
Quote:
Time.
Nice video i'm sure the graphics will look better on my tv as well as player color. Will the bigger ends bullrush guys instead of turning the outside like a pass rusher? since moves are used with the right stick now what about the run/pass call, will the new flow and rating length make help the star players find the ball on there own?

# 118 djKianoosh @ 05/11/09 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Dude, it's going to be in there.

I complained about it in Madden '07....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '08....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '09 (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/250117-footplanting-qbs.html).....and it looks like nothing is happening.

This one of my biggest pet peeves and year after year it goes unfixed. At least in last gen versions, the momentum was so great, it was hard to make sudden movements with your QB. The developers this gen seem completely oblivious that the problem exist.
first, your link doesn't work...

I'm all for making sure the QB's step up and into their throws to be able to make completions down field, but I saw a clip on NFL Network of Cutler after a playaction fake, falling backwards and getting hit, firing a bullet spiral 20 yards downfield to his TE. It's rare, but I wouldn't want the game to make it impossible for things like this to happen, cause it does happen.

# 119 steelers1216 @ 05/11/09 09:20 PM
i just have a suggestion for the running animations for this upcoming madden

EA, take a look at the turn rate that the players turn there legs wen they run on the ps2 versions of madden, you guys did a good job with that in the old-gen maddens, bring it back and make it even better, we all know u can
also, make the upper lean over the legs, just watch some highlights of players running in-game (real life), just mimic that, u can do it, i have faith in u guys

# 120 spankdatazz22 @ 05/11/09 09:22 PM
+ one-on-one blocking looked nice. Will be interesting to see how players interact overall on the fly
+ Receiver slipped running a pattern
+/- Game speed a tad slow? Hits/contact still seems... soft
- Sometimes players still look like they're jogging a lot of the time
- Still seem to be a lack of appropriate transitional anims to depict directional changes (quick look into the secondary)
+ Looks better than '09
- QB movement still weird

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.