Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

As promised, we’re back today showing all of you the new dribble moves that you’ll see in NBA LIVE 10 this year. We really wanted to differentiate between players this year. What makes LeBron, LeBron? How about CP3? One of the ways in which we’ve captured this is in their dribbling styles. Let’s start with the new “size up” mechanic in NBA LIVE 10.

The size up is a series of dribbling moves used to breakdown a defender. How am I being guarded? Where is the opening? Answering these questions is the purpose of the size up. Once the ball handler catches the defender biting, he can then perform a go move out of the size up to take advantage of an over-zealous defender or a mismatch. Basically, the size up keeps the defender on his toes! In NBA LIVE 10, you perform these moves via the right trigger from a standstill position. Once you move the left stick (to move the character), you break out of the size up and start moving. One of the great things about this mechanic is that it can be broken out of at any time, or better yet, seamlessly linked into any quickstrike dribbling move using the right stick. There’s no waiting for the animation to play out before going into your next move. If you want to start that next move, you can. In the video below, you can see that we’ve captured authentic player specific size ups. You can really see the difference between LeBron and Kobe’s size up moves.

The size up is step 1 of the dribbling moves this year. Master it and you’ll be shaking your defender (especially a human controlled one) in no time. Just because we have size ups in our game, it doesn’t mean that everyone can do them. If you’re a big man with a weak handle, and you use the right trigger, you’ll do dribble moves, but good luck trying to keep up your dribble as it’ll most likely get stripped or you’ll lose control. This also doesn’t mean that the LeBron and Kobe size ups are money moves either. Again, this is a simple mechanic used to branch into more deceptive, calculated quickstrike moves. Do the size up for too long, and you open a window for the defender to read your next movement and strip the ball from you.

There’s also a couple of things in this video that I want to point out to you. You’ll notice right off the bat that there’s not a lot of off-ball player movement. Don’t worry, we have a TON of that this year. We just called an ISOLATION set in each clip to showcase the one on one matchups that we primarily wanted to capture. And finally, yes, that is a eurostep you see Derrick Rose doing. We’ll have A LOT more on the different ways you can finish at the basket this year in the coming weeks.

I really hope you’re enjoying these gameplay videos guys. There’s a lot of them left, so if you haven’t seen something you want to see yet, don’t worry you will.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Blazix @ 08/13/09 06:21 PM
This video just makes me wonder how badly I could school sum1 using Tony Parker's sizeup moves since his game is gettin to the basket

# 82 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 06:21 PM
Yeah I knew that bit from the previous blog, I'm just hoping for a defense blog to explain some of the new features like blocks off the glass and whatnot. I don't really know what else you have up your collective sleeves on that end of the ball, but I think it'd be refreshing to hear about that instead of primarily offensive improvements/features as we generally do with b-ball games.

# 83 TMagic @ 08/13/09 06:22 PM
Great vid.

Live did a really did a good job differentiating between players and their dribbling styles. One thing I wonder is if it's just the Superstar players that will have sig size up moves. Or if there will be some second tier guys that get some as well.

One thing that was somewhat of a disappointment was the lack of collision in the paint on pretty much all of the finishes. Players just finished like nobody was around. But, Steph said that collisions will be in the game. So, I guess I'll have to hold off judgement on that.

Then again, it's not like 2K does a good job with collision detection. So, it's whatever...

# 84 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:22 PM
I should have posted this in my write-up, but these videos were captured on PRO difficulty (step up from Rookie).

This video was meant to showcase dribble moves. In order to do that in the time we have, we set it to a lower difficulty (hence the "unstoppable dunks")

I guess what i'm saying is, for these videos, focus on what the video is about, and try your hardest not to investigate everything else (although I know you will). The videos are designed to focus on a certain aspect of our game.

# 85 Behindshadows @ 08/13/09 06:22 PM
Kobe's was the weakest of them all, I'm a Lakers fan, but like Charles Barkley would say," It's just turbal, turbal"!

And Kobe model is Turbal too!

Terrible that is, he still looks bald, where is his hair!

# 86 grush5 @ 08/13/09 06:23 PM
i love the way d Rose gets to the rack with that eurostep n how cp3 caught his defender reching and then went 2 the rack also th way lebron faked to the hole, pulled it back n then blew by pierce

# 87 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
I should have posted this in my write-up, but these videos were captured on PRO difficulty (step up from Rookie).

This video was meant to showcase dribble moves. In order to do that in the time we have, we set it to a lower difficulty (hence the "unstoppable dunks")
Thanks for the note... makes me feel better about the LeBron/Kobe drives.

Keep 'em coming, we're all loving this info!

# 88 fLyGuY JuSa3 @ 08/13/09 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Kobe's was the weakest of them all, I'm a Lakers fan, but like Charles Barkley would say," It's just turbal, turbal"!

hmmmm u have a point there....but kobe does have hair(i think)

# 89 HoosierDaddy @ 08/13/09 06:24 PM
Quote:

I guess what i'm saying is, for these videos, focus on what the video is about, and try your hardest not to investigate everything else (although I know you will). The videos are designed to focus on a certain aspect of our game.

# 90 thesniper321 @ 08/13/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Are you guys planning a defense blog? I'm sure a bit of it will be covered by Mike tomorrow, but I think a lot of us are really wanting a game to focus on defense and give us a way to counter all this awesome new offensive stuff. It'd be great to have a blog explaining all the ways to stop these drives, contest shots, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesniper321
Stephenson will we be able to SMACK dunk attempts OFF the backboard (user controlled not a ramdom animation please) that's really important to me cuz with the great improvement you provide to ballhandling we need a great help D to counter it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Yeah I knew that bit from the previous blog, I'm just hoping for a defense blog to explain some of the new features like blocks off the glass and whatnot. I don't really know what else you have up your collective sleeves on that end of the ball, but I think it'd be refreshing to hear about that instead of primarily offensive improvements/features as we generally do with b-ball games.
Yo stumbleweed you begin to scare me a bit cuz we are thinking EXACTLY THE SAME THINGS , well since it's rookie I hope it's nothing.

# 91 KidHypeTellem @ 08/13/09 06:28 PM
Quote:

Lol thought so. I think some people expect to see these vids on the hardest difficulty. What would be the point if you can't show the moves.

# 92 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLyGuY JuSa3
hmmmm u have a point there....but kobe does have hair(i think)
Big head kobe? hmmm maybe the sweat? He's too shiny...

I'm not worried though.. I'm sure Kobe will be fine...

# 93 TMagic @ 08/13/09 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysky
Me and my boys is over hear playing Madden

My boys and I ARE over here playing Madden.

J/P....LOL

# 94 thesniper321 @ 08/13/09 06:30 PM
Stephenonmc will we have the ability to block shots ,especially dunks, of the glass with great shot blockers(birdman, Thabeet etc... )?? I won't ask anymore....

# 95 GSW @ 08/13/09 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzyk23
good lookin out playboyyyyy...

all i gotta say is.. wow.

kg got anged on pretty vicious shoulda atleast been a body on body and one or a foul or something, and even in ISO situations sometimes the Defense sets up or overloads one side to prevent exactly what happend (especially celtics),

I dont think thats a nitpick but i understand if you wanan berate me for being negative,

# 96 HoosierDaddy @ 08/13/09 06:31 PM
you go to collage?

# 97 iminurbase @ 08/13/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
here's the problem:

The animation of dunking or layup is determined how much space from you to the hoop. From this video it looks like even when defenders get in your way after your in animation there's no collision or stopping the offense player.

It looks like cheese unstoppable moves.
Not true. Trust me.

# 98 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows

He's not bald, and he looks like an ant in that video so you talking about his model is ridiculous. Wait till you actually see a closeup.

We redid Kobe's face this year. Including his hair. He was bald last year, but not this year. We referenced the LAST game Kobe played this year. His hair looks different now from then.

KILLING ME

# 99 23 @ 08/13/09 06:32 PM
You guys need to watch this thing on the vlc media player in slower motion

Stumble Kobe didnt just warp pass his guy..the moves were all successful in that they took off when the defenders reacted and as far as I know all of those guys have quick first steps.

That said it makes sense to focus on whats being shown. People do this same thing when they make highlight videos...

If you're worried about collision they told us there would be collision detection and not dunkfest games....

Remember when Andy tried to dunk on Shard in that 2nd vid?

BTW, the title says dribble moves and we're asking about blocked shots...lol

# 100 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
good lookin out playboyyyyy...

all i gotta say is.. wow.

kg got anged on pretty vicious shoulda atleast been a body on body and one or a foul or something, and even in ISO situations sometimes the Defense sets up or overloads one side to prevent exactly what happend (especially celtics),

I dont think thats a nitpick but i understand if you wanan berate me for being negative,
not a nitpick bro, no worries. We were in PRO difficulty. Everything's easier (including collisions)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.