Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"The NBA 2K series has been pummeling NBA Live into the ground over the last few years. There's no doubt that Live is looking stronger than it has in a long while this season, but NBA 2K is aiming to raise the bar even higher with NBA 2K10. I recently spent some time at Visual Concepts to get my hands on a preview build of the game. And yes, I beat both developers that I played – though they always go easy on us journos.

The first and probably most important new addition to the 2K formula is called NBA Today. It's both a small mode in the game and a feature that permeates just about every other game you'll play. From the main menu clicking on NBA Today will bring you to a list of real NBA games that are set to take place. For our purposes – and since the NBA season hasn't started yet – we were treated to a list of pre-season games. NBA Today not only keeps up with the current NBA schedule, but it also has an effect on things like franchise mode."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sovartus @ 08/19/09 08:34 PM
Still in wait and see mode....

In game saves is very nice though.

# 42 Jano @ 08/19/09 08:38 PM
Yep the OS guys are obviously going to be more in tune with the things we want to hear about.

Not to mention a site like IGN is just trying to give info on what the devs tell them about.

They don't seem to be looking for any improvements or problems unless the devs specifically state it.

I'm going to chalk this one up as a guy previewing something he only likes not loves. I'm sure he's not a hardcore bball fan so he's just giving his insight on what the devs point out.

I know if I had to preview a football game my write up would be pretty similar to his because I'm not a huge football fan.

# 43 Stumbleweed @ 08/19/09 08:40 PM
Big fat meh from me. Team-Up sounds EXACTLY the same -- they graded you last year and that didn't stop people from playing like asshats. The defensive rotation thing still worries me despite the assurance that it'll be taken care of (we've heard that before), and the "simplified" IsoMotion worries me as someone who thought it was far too easy to drive and do complex moves in 2K9. The post game sounds the same too minus the LT/RT quick/power designation -- the control on the shot stick was the same as last year as he described it.

Like DC said, give us some meat... tired of these crappy surface-level previews. Not overly impressed with the screens either -- looks basically like a 'shopped version of 2K9 (and I agree they have the same vibe as the ones we got last year like the KG one posted that were clearly not representative of the final product). Not pleased with what I've heard so far -- the only real highlight out of all that for me was in-game saves.

It seriously sounded like a preview of 2K9 -- we heard plenty about lock-on defense forcing your man to either side, etc. last year and it was the biggest dunkfest yet (no 2K5). Surprised they didn't trot out "signature defensive styles" again as a selling point in this preview.

I'll wait for another developer insight that will hopefully flesh some of this stuff out, but right now, I'm not feeling the listed improvements beyond the My Player mode (which I think despite D-League/Summer League and the newness of it all, will be a Madden Superstaresque disappointment, especially in the first year). Hopefully they prove me wrong...

# 44 yungflo @ 08/19/09 08:40 PM
lol Kobe has such a sultry look in his eyes. Like he's seducing someone in all off his screen shots lol.

I love it.

# 45 shindiana @ 08/19/09 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
No contracts for "My Player" mode? No Negotiating? No getting traded or released? no asking for a trade? You just totally get to decide where you go? Why would you leave that out?

This better not turn into Madden Superstar mode.

sigh.
This is a real let down..
I hope our player can get traded though, it would really make no sense if we spent our whole career in the same team unless we're the establish franchise player which should be very hard to become.

The comments on graphics are logic since the pics look exactly like 2k9. I'ts been a long time since I have no expectation for drastic graphic improvement in NBA 2K anyway. IMO, in this generation the overall look will always seems "unclean" to me.

# 46 Bornindamecca @ 08/19/09 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Big fat meh from me. Team-Up sounds EXACTLY the same -- they graded you last year and that didn't stop people from playing like asshats.
You really needed to play with better people. 95% of my Team Up games have been very positive. Even getting 5 guys and going against the CPU was fun. My only complaint would be that they need to tighten up the off ball contact.

Quote:
The post game sounds the same too minus the LT/RT quick/power designation -- the control on the shot stick was the same as last year as he described it.
The distinction between power and quick post players is a pretty big addition, and the first time we've ever had that in a basketball game.

Quote:
It seriously sounded like a preview of 2K9 -- we heard plenty about lock-on defense forcing your man to either side, etc. last year and it was the biggest dunkfest yet (no 2K5).
Play randoms, and you pay for what you get. I've played in three OS leagues this year, and not one of them was a dunkfest. Particularly, if you don't have players with a 99 dunk on a squad. Offline, the CPU rarely gets unfair dunks, even more so with BL's sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
lol Kobe has such a sultry look in his eyes. Like he's seducing someone in all off his screen shots lol.

I love it.
You forgot to put "no homo".

# 47 TheBadazz @ 08/19/09 08:51 PM
IGN previews are always kind of weak. I'll wait for Chase's preview (question/answer tread).

# 48 Eddie1967 @ 08/19/09 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
In-game saves FTW!

EVERY title should have in-game saves. It should be a requirement.

I agree. I hate having to quit games when something else comes up.

# 49 Bornindamecca @ 08/19/09 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
No contracts for "My Player" mode? No Negotiating? No getting traded or released? no asking for a trade? You just totally get to decide where you go? Why would you leave that out?

This better not turn into Madden Superstar mode.

sigh.
It would be a huge, huge disappointment if there were no trade demands or rumors in My Player. The whole POINT is a kind of role play. They'd be missing almost half of the experience if you didn't have to deal with trade rumors and drama, both to yourself and your teammates.

# 50 shindiana @ 08/19/09 08:52 PM
It's a good thing they improved the play calling system. But I wish the plays were madefor specific player instead of position.

# 51 yungflo @ 08/19/09 08:52 PM
lol "I'm going to the hoop. Make love to me b*tches"

I thought they said more facial animations lol.

# 52 JWiLL02 @ 08/19/09 08:56 PM
Good thing they mentioned it's not the final build because the jersey textures look just awful. Look at Bosh's shorts in that screen, my goodness.

# 53 STLRams @ 08/19/09 08:57 PM
The one thing I didn't like in the article is how the writer mentioned that once he learned the moves how easily he was able to drive around defenders and easily score 20points with Monte Ellis. I guess how he worded that, it sounds like he just scored at will, in the paint. I hope this is not the case, im hoping the defense is better in NBA2K10.

# 54 Stumbleweed @ 08/19/09 08:59 PM
Come on Born, don't lecture me on choosing opponents. That doesn't matter because I'm talking about the mechanics of the game. If it's now easier to do IsoMotion moves when last year you could easily go behind your back twice, do a spin move, then dunk over 3 guys... that makes me worried. Especially when they apparently haven't implemented help defense with a brain yet...

Where do you find these magical sim team-up games? There's never enough people online to even play one and when you do find a game, half the time the connection drops. I've had some GREAT sim games, but it's been like 10 out of 200 man... there should be a reasonable expectation that you can join a Team-Up game and not have LeBron James scoring 80 points with 5 minute quarters (which happened in MANY Team-Up games in 2K9).

People playing like jerks and hogging the ball is one thing (that will never be gone as long as there are humans playing the game), but things like LeBron dropping 80 in 20 minutes of game time should not happen, period. This is a mechanics of the game issue -- maybe they'll add a bunch of defensive tools to counter that, but right now, we haven't heard **** (except the same info we got last year about lock-on D), so I have no reason to believe that's the case. Call me a pessimist... 2K9 left me feeling burned, so I'm on guard this year.

I played in sim leagues for the early part of 2K9 against some of the best players around, all of whom I really respect. However, said players could at any time penetrate from the 3PT line to the paint with ridiculous dribble moves and then finish in traffic with a dunk. This is a problem. It shouldn't be a matter of "sim" players containing themselves to get a realistic game, they should not be able to do those things on a regular basis against another competent player. That was not the case in 2K9 and I fear that it again won't be the case in 2K10 considering what we've heard so far about easier IsoMotion and the glaring lack of competent help defense. They did mention that you could block easier (yay, inflated block stats like 2K8), but that doesn't solve anything really.

I dunno, what the hell ever. I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm not feeling great about it so far.

# 55 shindiana @ 08/19/09 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Squad
WTF is wrong with yall, all dude said was there was no signing agents to discuss contracts, so im guessing that whatever the player gets paid is automatically decided by the CPU.
I hope this "no contract negociations" won't keep us from just accepting or reject a deal offer in order to test free agency for example.

# 56 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/09 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindiana
It's a good thing they improved the play calling system. But I wish the plays were madefor specific player instead of position.
I see your point shin..If this new play system works how I'm thinking it will would though.. could that mean that you can now send pf's like Dirk off of multiple baseline screens similar to what the pistons do for Rip? Alot of multiple screen plays only involve the sg and the sf. That would be cool as it could really open up the game.

# 57 Bornindamecca @ 08/19/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Come on Born, don't lecture me on choosing opponents. That doesn't matter because I'm talking about the mechanics of the game.
It's not a lecture. Just pointing out that my experiences haven't been congruent with yours, and that one could attribute that to a different class of competitor. I don't get the sense that anyone in the OS leagues is holding back. They all run their offense as efficiently as possible, scoring when the opportunity arises, and right now the game mechanics are not set up that those opportunities result in an egregious amount of dunks.

Quote:

Where do you find these magical sim team-up games? There's never enough people online to even play one and when you do find a game, half the time the connection drops. I've had some GREAT sim games, but it's been like 10 out of 200 man... there should be a reasonable expectation that you can join a Team-Up game and not have LeBron James scoring 80 points with 5 minute quarters (which happened in MANY Team-Up games in 2K9).
Played a bunch of games back at release, and for a few months after. Brankles, Auburn, Stewaat and several others were always on to play, and we always had enough people to have a good time. As far as connection dropping, I couldn't agree more. The servers were a real headache, and took away from the experience. When the servers were on our side, we had a good time, every time.

Quote:
I played in sim leagues for the early part of 2K9 against some of the best players around, all of whom I really respect. However, said players could at any time penetrate from the 3PT line to the paint with ridiculous dribble moves and then finish in traffic with a dunk. This is a problem. It shouldn't be a matter of "sim" players containing themselves to get a realistic game, they should not be able to do those things on a regular basis against another competent player.
Our experiences have been very different. That's all I can say about that. There are a few highly rated players in the game that require restraint: Kobe, Lebron, Amare, Yao Ming and a few others, but for the most part, I haven't seen anyone just be able to iso to the cup for a dunk on their first try. Even the few times I went online to play cheesers, they had to milk the possession for a good portion of the shot clock, back out and try to trigger a dunk animation over and over.

If you ever want to show me what you're talking about, feel free to hit me up online. If you can repeatedly iso-dunk on me without milking it, I'll stand corrected.

# 58 DC @ 08/19/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
It's not a lecture. Just pointing out that my experiences haven't been congruent with yours, and that one could attribute that to a different class of competitor. I don't get the sense that anyone in the OS leagues is holding back. They all run their offense as efficiently as possible, scoring when the opportunity arises, and right now the game mechanics are not set up that those opportunities result in an egregious amount of dunks.
Born, I do find myself holding back when it comes to driving to the hoop. I am sure I can do it every time but I have to remind myself that it just isn't right to do so.

Also I hold myself back from using the L-Trigger while on the move because I know it is an automatic blow-by

# 59 Bornindamecca @ 08/19/09 09:22 PM
The L Trigger is definitely an issue, but I haven't seen that with the rest of the isomotion moves. Even so, do you think you can get dunks with Joe Johnson 8 out of 10 times with this technique? Josh Smith I totally believe, but he fits in with the 99 dunk crew that are the problem in this game.

And if you can, I tender the same offer I gave to Stumble. Lemme get in a league practice game with you and see you score 80pts with Joe Johnson in 20 mins.

# 60 yungflo @ 08/19/09 09:22 PM
Pau has some jaggy point razor sharp elbows in the background.

I thought jaggies were goign away this yr?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.