Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 idesign2 @ 12/15/10 01:30 PM
Robinson's early previews are almost always super-positive, so his concerns about fielding are a little troublesome to me. Hope SCEA can get this straightened out, as I have always wanted analog fielding controls in The Show.

# 22 bcruise @ 12/15/10 01:31 PM
And you guys thought they didn't have anything left to add....

Great preview, looking forward to more info when the rest of them drop tomorrow!

# 23 ty5oke @ 12/15/10 01:31 PM
Love the addition of Co-Op, hopefully we can play that in a franchise or season.

New adjustable cameras and the ability to have an online franchise with AI computers is very good to hear as well.

# 24 wrigleyville33 @ 12/15/10 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Love the addition of Co-Op, hopefully we can play that in a franchise or season.

New adjustable cameras and the ability to have an online franchise with AI computers is very good to hear as well.
I'm very excited about those two additions. Hopefully Wrigley got some love this year!

# 25 cammo13 @ 12/15/10 01:37 PM
Can't wait to give the new controls a shot! Should give some new life to the game. Excited about the custom cameras as well. No Rex is also a plus Can't wait!

# 26 CubFan23 @ 12/15/10 01:37 PM
I wet myself reading that article!

I love the fact that they left out the analog controls until they got it right, don't just add them half A$$ed just to add something( EA Devs-take note) !

And as far as the player models go, with no mention of them changing, if SCEA doesn't feel they're ready to be implemented in the game then I can wait another year!

First news of the game and already counting the days! Bravo SCEA!!!

# 27 bhurst99 @ 12/15/10 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
I'm pretty sure they got left out. I think the guy on espn would have said something about them. Plus, it would be too hard to implement models at this point of the development cycle. I like the features, but the models are so out of date. They are still ps2 structured at heart.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong because based on past experience nemesis04 likely has access to information he is not allowed to talk about.

# 28 wrigleyville33 @ 12/15/10 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23

I love the fact that they left out the analog controls until they got it right, don't just add them half A$$ed just to add something( EA Devs-take note) !

And as far as the player models go, if SCEA doesn't feel they're ready to be implemented in the game then I can wait another year!

What is somewhat frustrating is that what you said is what we have been saying for the past two years.

# 29 nemesis04 @ 12/15/10 01:40 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they got left out. I think the guy on espn would have said something about them. Plus, it would be too hard to implement models at this point of the development cycle. I like the features, but the models are so out of date. They are still ps2 structured at heart.
Not really sure what everyone is expecting as far as new player models are concerned but the human body has not changed for quite some time as they will still have a head, arms, legs, feet etc.. Most people complained about the shoulders and the length of the arms so addressing those things would be subtle. As I said before, don't give up hope!

# 30 Bumble14 @ 12/15/10 01:43 PM
Very encouraging information. Looking forward to more being released.

No mention of a dedicated playoff mode has me a bit worried, but the ability to play in an online league with human and cpu controlled players is AWESOME!!

The analog pitching system looks to be a direct lift of MVP NCAA 07 rock and fire control--which is a very good thing.

I am also very interested to see how the analog hitting is going to incorporate check swings. 2K hasn't been able to figure out a viable check system with their analog hitting, so here's hoping SCEA has a trick up their sleave.

# 31 fightinchicken26 @ 12/15/10 01:44 PM
Wow. Just wow.

# 32 Qb @ 12/15/10 01:45 PM
True zone hitting, analog controls, custom cameras, no more Rex, revamped RTTS system, more online league customization options... I suspect there are many happy OSers.

As for myself, I'm especially intrigued by the analog pitching. I was a classic guy to this point because of the results it yielded, but it could give a touch of the "out of your hands" feeling. I like the sound of their take on the analog mechanic.

# 33 Bumble14 @ 12/15/10 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23

And as far as the player models go, with no mention of them changing, if SCEA doesn't feel they're ready to be implemented in the game then I can wait another year!

Beep, Beep...back the truck up.

While I applaud the enthusiasm, until we start seeing more hands on with regards to the analog control integration I think we need to approach this with cautious optimism.

Of course SCEA is going to say that the reason they are just now adding analog controls is because they "wanted to master them". What do you expect them to say, "We noticed the one area that competition was being praised over our game was in the analog control mechanics, so we needed to add them in to keep with the times"?

To me analog stick controls have never really worked well in baseball games outside of pitching. Like I said, until I get some hands on time with the batting mechanics and see how they differentiate from 2K's efforts, I am curbing my enthusiasm.

# 34 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 01:49 PM
Did the rock n'fire r-stick have a component for control tied to the r-stick though?

I think I'll def. like this better than 2k pitching mechanic, but r-stick hitting, and fielding, I'll try...in 2k, I go between the two styles like 3 times a game haha.

I'm still worried about the fielding, and things like how the game selects a player and when, etc...esp. with Robinson's comment that the r-stick pre load seemed wonky.

We'll see! But a def. day one buy!

# 35 bhurst99 @ 12/15/10 01:49 PM
Its sounds like the new pitching mechanic is similar to the one found in NCAA MVP 07 baseball and the fielder throwing like the MVP series. Should be interesting to try out. I actually liked the fact Robinson struggled with it. Fielding needs to be tougher.

I like the additions to the RTTS mode. People have been clamoring for advancement to be more statistic based than goal based so it's nice to see they have gone in that direction. Anything that makes it more transparent as to why your players was called up/sent down is great for the user. It almost sounds like the leveling has a bit of RPG element which is cool. Also good to hear the "assisted" fielding where the AI takes the first step is gone.

Only disappointment is that it sounds at this point like there is no create-a-team function or playable single A teams.

# 36 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkizzlemynizzle
Really bummed that the player models are the same, as I have heard for the last 2 years they are overhauling them this year. Oh well.

The rest of the new features sound great so far and I cannot wait to get my hands on the game.
Are they hmmmmmmmmmmm?

# 37 PitholeCreek @ 12/15/10 01:51 PM
Rain is a nice addition. Hopefully this also means that retractable roofs will open and close depending on the weather. As a Blue Jays fan, I hated the fact that Rogers Centre was always open in past editions. It was probably my biggest pet peeve with the game.

# 38 econoodle @ 12/15/10 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
And player models....

stay the same

TOmba there is NO way those are the same player models from 10.

# 39 aukevin @ 12/15/10 01:52 PM
Cool preview, it's getting me excited. Things I took note of that I'm looking forward to hearing more about and trying:

Analog controls (even though I've never been a huge fan of the R-stick, I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays). I'm definitely looking forward to the analog pitching controls.

Co-op sounds fun, not sure how much use I'd get out of it but we'll see.

The Challenge of the Week online things sounds real cool. I like having quick little challenges to do (like SCEA's Modnation Racers Hot Lap).

I'm glad they worked on the RTTS goal system. I love RTTS but the goals would drive me nuts sometimes. Can't wait to try out the RTTS 5.0.

Online commishes now have more power! Finally the ability to reset games for online leagues. Can't wait for that.

I bet this game looks awesome in 3D, I just hope I'm able to see it in action one day.

# 40 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 01:53 PM
Quote:

OS is getting exclusive MLB 10 vs. MLB 11 Comparison screen shots on Thursday. I would suggest everyone wait to form an opinion until then.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.