Home
NHL 2K11 News Post

2K Sports will not release a new installment in its NHL simulation franchise for consoles this year. This according to 1up and Gamespot.

We will not see NHL 2K12 this year, what are your thoughts?

Quote:
"It was mentioned that there will not be a new NHL game for consoles from 2K Sports this year. The company's license with Major League Baseball is currently set to expire next year."

Game: NHL 2K11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / WiiVotes for game: 8 - View All
NHL 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jaiman @ 05/24/11 06:43 PM
Brutal. So disappointed. On the same day that EA pulls out a VERY underwhelming feature video.

# 2 ezio @ 05/24/11 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
Brutal. So disappointed. On the same day that EA pulls out a VERY underwhelming feature video.
I agree. I am glad I picked up 2k10 again today.

# 3 Money99 @ 05/24/11 09:14 PM
I guess I'm done with hockey games. I'll wait to hear about NHL12, but from the vid it looks pretty much the same.

# 4 BlueNGold @ 05/25/11 01:16 AM
Damn. I really wanted to see 2K try to make a comeback, but I guess it's time to put the nail in the coffin of NHL 2K games (at least this gen of consoles).

Hopefully NHL 12 fixes up the AI and Be A GM mode otherwise this is going to hurt even more.

# 5 tabulaRasa @ 05/25/11 05:51 AM
2K was always underrated. Look how long it took for NBA2K to dominate to get recognition.
NHL2k3-2k7 kicked ***. NHL2k8 was amazing on ideas, implementation was not user friendly enough though. But NHL2k9 and NHL2k10 was only so-so games in my book. A total reboot teaming up with natural motion and 2K bringing their experience and license would be a great reboot.

# 6 curt doug8182 @ 05/25/11 05:59 AM
im very pissed at 2k first the dropped college baseball on 2k now its the nhl 2k hockey game . then they flat out lied to us. about the game they suck and far as the company its self why in h---ll did they even tell that . fib what it just to get more sales for the basketball what make them think that ea nhl hockey is all that great its plan b----s----t. they need to just sell to mirosoft or sony or some other company thats willing to really spend money in sports viedo games. at least ea-sports is bringing back live in 2012. and not giveing up like a bunch p----ys.

# 7 Flyermania @ 05/25/11 08:10 AM
In other news, man has walked on the moon.

The writing has been on the wall for this series for a looooooonng time.

# 8 Fiddy @ 05/25/11 09:14 AM
Yup. As expected.

Looks like another year of roster updates from myself, TS, and canuxrok.

That's ok in my books...

# 9 Prometheus @ 05/25/11 09:31 AM
Disappointing to say the least. Was it all that long ago when it seemed 2K had the sports lineup, hands down? I'm not as down on EA's NHL series as some, but I'm always open to trying something different and I know at one time NHL2K was THE series. I even bought MLB2K11 this year because I was bored with The Show. Unfortunately, it's turned out to be a polished turd at best.

# 10 scottyo60 @ 05/25/11 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
2K was always underrated. Look how long it took for NBA2K to dominate to get recognition.
NHL2k3-2k7 kicked ***. NHL2k8 was amazing on ideas, implementation was not user friendly enough though. But NHL2k9 and NHL2k10 was only so-so games in my book. A total reboot teaming up with natural motion and 2K bringing their experience and license would be a great reboot.
Agree fully. I used to buy every 2K hockey game for ps2 then bought 2K8 and still play it to this day. IMO it was the best 2 player hockey game in a while. I got friends in the "hood" that fell in love with hockey because of that game lol.

I'll probably get heat from this, but I'm pretty sure if EA scrapped Fifa, NHL, College football, Fight Night and focused only on Madden and the NBA they would produce 2 great games. 2K has essentially put all their eggs in the NBA 2K franchise (god knows baseball needs a ton of work) while EA is spread out everywhere. I know everyone gives it to EA, but just think what their best creative minds all working together could do...

# 11 bangpow @ 05/25/11 11:10 AM
This makes me wonder if they'll even renew the MLB license. I'm not even talking the exclusive license, but just the license in general.

# 12 Stormyhog @ 05/25/11 12:32 PM
Me and my brother called this long ago so it's no surprise to me. I liked the series early on but it went downhill from their. Plus when EA announced they had the winter classic this year that was a sign to me 2K wasn't coming out as that was exclusive to 2K. When they wouldn't support 2K10 with patches for the PS3 that was it for me as they didn't care anymore as the fanbase was dead except for some of the hardcores. Now with the Wii version cancelled it is telling of their sales. I don't see a 2K hockey for sometime unless another publisher takes over. It's sad as I liked the series for a time but the game never evloved as it wasn't given the resources to do so.

# 13 savoie2006 @ 05/25/11 12:44 PM
Yeah, if it does come back, I don't see it happening until the next consoles drop and the developers basically have to make a fresh start anyways. This way them and EA will basically be on the same footing again. The question is, will Take Two even be willing or will just stick with NBA and maybe MLB? I hope so, having choices is always nice.

# 14 matt8204 @ 05/25/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater41
Maybe SCEA can give us an NHL game for the PS 3. Could you imagine the possibilities as good as MLB The Show is?
Thing is, it would have to be worth their while to make the game. Baseball is a lot more popular than hockey in the US. Would an NHL game not made by EA sell enough copies for Sony to justify the investment in the franchise?

# 15 yankeesgiants @ 05/25/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater41
Maybe SCEA can give us an NHL game for the PS 3. Could you imagine the possibilities as good as MLB The Show is?
They got out of the hockey business last generation. They seem to torpedo any thought of developing any other sports game other then baseball.

# 16 savoie2006 @ 05/25/11 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
They got out of the hockey business last generation. They seem to torpedo any thought of developing any other sports game other then baseball.
Yeah, their Basketball game never became much. I think they just got a great bunch of devs for MLB and that's why they are stickin with it.

# 17 Money99 @ 05/25/11 02:34 PM
This really stinks.
And nobody is to blame but 2k and the direction (or lack thereof) they took the series once next-gen came around.

Love it or hate it, Skillstick has been received very well by the masses. And what did 2K do to counteract it? Cold breath and playoff beards.

I don't blame the guys that took over this mess from Kush as it sounds like they had very little time to turn the boat around.

It's just a shame what became of this series. 2K3 was tremendous. I don't think 2K really took advantage of that terrific engine.

I think it'll be a long, LONG time before we see someone else take on hockey. At least not a sim representation. There's not much money in hockey games and EA has a major stranglehold on the market.

# 18 ven0m43 @ 05/25/11 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt doug8182
im very pissed at 2k first the dropped college baseball on 2k now its the nhl 2k hockey game . then they flat out lied to us. about the game they suck and far as the company its self why in h---ll did they even tell that . fib what it just to get more sales for the basketball what make them think that ea nhl hockey is all that great its plan b----s----t. they need to just sell to mirosoft or sony or some other company thats willing to really spend money in sports viedo games. at least ea-sports is bringing back live in 2012. and not giveing up like a bunch p----ys.
Wait, what are you trying to say?

# 19 MizzouRah @ 05/25/11 02:46 PM
Guess I'll be playing NHL 2k10 with Fiddy's rosters.

Horrible news though.. I was really wishing on a 2 year development hockey game from 2k.

# 20 Blueshirt7749 @ 05/25/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
Disagree. NHL 12 looks pretty good and there are a lot of visual upgrades. Seeing as I was very happy with NHL 11 I cannot wait for 12.

NHL 2k9/2k10 were disappointing at best. Let's wake up and not just be generic EA haters. Their hockey games are great.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.