Home
News Post

PSNation has posted their MLB 12 The Show hands-on preview, as they detail the PS Move and PS Vita.

Quote:
Honestly, the controls work very well, and the fact that this series has always been about “choice” this is a perfect opportunity to play The Show with your kids. While you may have your controls set to Pulse Pitching, Analog Zone Hitting, and Classic Fielding, the simplified Move controls can be set for the other player. The Move controls are quite intuitive and are very easy to pick-up and play with. There’s a bit of a hesitation in the hitting at first, but once you get used to the timing, it works very well.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 woz411 @ 01/23/12 11:27 PM
AMAZING!!!!!! WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOW. good work dev team

# 2 bcruise @ 01/23/12 11:28 PM
LOL @ Ramone's (non)reaction at the end.

Move controls sound fun for the most part. Controlling runners with the the arm motions seems like it could get a little hairy when you have more than one guy on the bases, so I'm curious as to how the controls will handle that.

Also, for the pitching and batting, will there be any kind of on-screen display of how much power we're putting behind the swing/throw?

Liked everything I read about the Vita too - February (and then March 6) can't come soon enough for that.

# 3 Skyboxer @ 01/23/12 11:31 PM
Very cool. Still dont' know if swing up = up swing, reach outside = outside swing etc...

Pitching looks very cool as well as fielding except Dont know how I feel about the throwing while fielding. Good info though!

# 4 Skyboxer @ 01/23/12 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
LOL @ Ramone's (non)reaction at the end.

Move controls sound fun for the most part. Controlling runners with the the arm motions seems like it could get a little hairy when you have more than one guy on the bases, so I'm curious as to how the controls will handle that.

Assuming you only control the lead runner and AI handles the rest.

Also, for the pitching and batting, will there be any kind of on-screen display of how much power we're putting behind the swing/throw?

Since it all depends on how far you pull back and how hard you swing (dependent on sliders also probably) probably isnt an on screen display for how much your putting into it. Could be wrong though. I'm going to love ising it during RTTS!!

Liked everything I read about the Vita too - February (and then March 6) can't come soon enough for that.
Also like the VITA info also. Cant wait!

# 5 Blzer @ 01/23/12 11:46 PM
Still some pretty noticeable lag in that video with the Move, but I will reserve judgment until I try it for myself, because I really want to use this in some games!

# 6 bcruise @ 01/23/12 11:51 PM
Really liked this line most of all:

Quote:
During development, any change to the PS3 version was automatically included in the Vita build. So when we saw that the strikeout K’s in Miller Park weren’t correct, the changes to correct them were in both versions the next day, which was pretty sweet to see.
If that doesn't show the two versions are on equal footing, I don't know what does. It bodes well for future years as well if it stays like that too - at least, until PS4. The Vita version won't get left behind.

The possibility might exist for patching of the Vita version as well, for the same reason.

# 7 nomo17k @ 01/23/12 11:53 PM
The apparent lag with Move is kinda disappointing, but I already have the controller so I'll probably end up trying anyways...

# 8 thaSLAB @ 01/24/12 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
The apparent lag with Move is kinda disappointing, but I already have the controller so I'll probably end up trying anyways...
I would say try it out for sure. You will find that it isn't as bad as the video shows. Especially when you get your timing down, it's not much worse than the dualshock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 9 statnut @ 01/24/12 12:08 AM
Bummer that the Vita won't get the Diamond Dynasty Mode, though since we don't know the details it may not be as big of a deal as I'd imagine.

# 10 Knight165 @ 01/24/12 12:11 AM
I believe there is a slight built in delay....so that you're not always swinging etc on every twitch.

M.K.
Knight165

# 11 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/24/12 01:45 AM
Who dat in the blue Voltron shirt? Got me checking the forums with tapatalk on the pitching scene.

SLAB & 42 representin with me!

El oh el @ Ramone. Man of few words. Till the end!

# 12 rudyjuly2 @ 01/24/12 05:28 AM
I am intrigued by the Move controls for my kids. Maybe even me for batting. I liked the fielding stuff as well. But is there a strap for that controller (I don't have the Move)? I can see my kids breaking my TV while pitching or even batting. Kind of scares me.

# 13 Skyboxer @ 01/24/12 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I am intrigued by the Move controls for my kids. Maybe even me for batting. I liked the fielding stuff as well. But is there a strap for that controller (I don't have the Move)? I can see my kids breaking my TV while pitching or even batting. Kind of scares me.

Yep, there is a wrist strap.....

# 14 Skyboxer @ 01/24/12 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I believe there is a slight built in delay....so that you're not always swinging etc on every twitch.

M.K.
Knight165
Obviously I'm no expert on the system but if the MOVE is 1 to 1 movement then there should not be swings unless the player actually swings.
HOWEVER if the Show is using the move as a trigger to start swing and not used as a full swing controller then I can see where the "delay" or whatever is used to not swing on unintended movements.

A good test would be to check swing with the move and see if The Show player actually check swings.

# 15 nomo17k @ 01/24/12 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Obviously I'm no expert on the system but if the MOVE is 1 to 1 movement then there should not be swings unless the player actually swings.
HOWEVER if the Show is using the move as a trigger to start swing and not used as a full swing controller then I can see where the "delay" or whatever is used to not swing on unintended movements.

A good test would be to check swing with the move and see if The Show player actually check swings.
Perhaps this is the case, the reason being it would definitely be easier to code that way... since the game already has a pretty good batting system in place (different swing mechanisms, check swing, etc.), why not use the existing system and use the new controller to trigger the same events?

In order to re-create the real feel for swinging the bat with Move, I'd prefer the one-to-one approach as in Table Tennis in Sports Champions, with full control over PCI placement, but I can see it perhaps makes sense to use the existing mechanism now... But if you have played Table Tennis, you can see how nicely things can work with one-to-one with Move.

I only hope the lag doesn't totally kill the timing, as in I have to hit with an entirely different timing compared to real life. To me the slightly slower response with Pure Analog in MLB11 was tough enough to adjust, and it wasn't even a lag issue I believe.

Well we have to see... it's the first year anyway... we'll see how it really feels.

# 16 GWPump23 @ 01/24/12 02:55 PM
Ha! Glad Ramone chimed in @ the end...

Thought I was watching a Penn & Teller skit for a second...

-GW-

# 17 Bahnzo @ 01/24/12 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
In order to re-create the real feel for swinging the bat with Move, I'd prefer the one-to-one approach as in Table Tennis in Sports Champions, with full control over PCI placement,
No one has spoken about how the PCI placement is handled. I (and others) have asked if the Move can recognize when someone swings high/low and inside/outside, but I haven't seen an answer to this yet.

# 18 nomo17k @ 01/24/12 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
No one has spoken about how the PCI placement is handled. I (and others) have asked if the Move can recognize when someone swings high/low and inside/outside, but I haven't seen an answer to this yet.
I'm curious about this as well... it's still a mystery haha...

# 19 rodperezto @ 01/24/12 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Still some pretty noticeable lag in that video with the Move, but I will reserve judgment until I try it for myself, because I really want to use this in some games!
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The lag you notice on the video happens because of the video camera's speed to record video and it doesn't capture the speed the way your eye would.
That was one of my main complaints about the move before it came out; I'd seen some videos and didn't really see the whole 1-1 thing they were talking about. When you play the game, you'll notice that if there is some lag, it will be minimal and it won't affect the gameplay.

# 20 bcruise @ 01/24/12 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodperezto
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The lag you notice on the video happens because of the video camera's speed to record video and it doesn't capture the speed the way your eye would.
That was one of my main complaints about the move before it came out; I'd seen some videos and didn't really see the whole 1-1 thing they were talking about. When you play the game, you'll notice that if there is some lag, it will be minimal and it won't affect the gameplay.
Some games are better at handling it than others, though...

Sports Champions is fun because it really is 1-1, and for me it really shows when playing the table tennis game. You can swing the paddle, rotate your wrist around to change the paddle angle and see all that movement in real time, and it's really immersive for such a simple game. Others like Tiger Woods for example definitely have some lag on the swing, because you'll be in your follow through before you hear the club strike the ball. In TW's case the 1-1 really isn't essential for game play (personally I don't even look up at the screen until after my swing), so it can kinda get away with it. It would be pretty important for a baseball game to have a quick response since you WILL be looking at the screen as the pitch comes in.

It all depends on how well the Move is implemented.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.