Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Optik @ 08/07/13 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallIsLife2
WHAT.

That's ridiculous. You have every right to tell them the definition of a word if you believe it was used improperly.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic... (the use of the word 'embarrassing' kind of gave it away)

# 142 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/07/13 06:50 PM
No, I was being dead goddamn serious.

If I call a girl "tough" because where I grew up, that means "Good-looking," you ain't gon sit there and tell me that's not what "tough" means. Because that IS what it means, in that solitary context, because that's what I meant.

It doesn't matter what I said. It matters what I meant.

You can't tell someone to stop calling something a "feature," because they might be thinking of the word in a different way than you are. You're trying to tell them that they mean what the dictionary says, which they most likely don't. They can use whatever word they want. It doesn't matter. What matters is what they mean by the word they use.

# 143 spankdatazz22 @ 08/07/13 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
They can use whatever word they want. It doesn't matter. What matters is what they mean by the word they use.
Imo the people using the word "feature" to describe the news are simply trying to get in some petty derogatory digs at 2K. It's not like the concept of blocking shots was ever removed from the game, and it's not like the news is being promoted as a feature. This is being promoted as an enhancement of what's been done previously. If anything the inability to block dunks may have been an unintended side effect of them getting away from pre-determined animations (canimations, another term that's usually used in a derogatory fashion around here). Which coincidentally, was something the forum was collectively asking for (getting away from canned animations). Here's a dictionary definition I'd use to describe some here:

fick·le - [fik-uhl]

adjective
1. likely to change, especially due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable: fickle weather.

Synonyms
1. unstable, unsteady, variable, capricious, fitful

# 144 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/07/13 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Imo the people using the word "feature" to describe the news are simply trying to get in some petty derogatory digs at 2K. It's not like the concept of blocking shots was ever removed from the game, and it's not like the news is being promoted as a feature.
It's the first news regarding gameplay, and it was released as a single, solitary piece of news. I don't think saying that 2K is treating it like a "feature" is much of a stretch, especially when the thread title has the word "Features" in it, and it's being touted as a whole new engine/system, and just a slight tweak.

# 145 spankdatazz22 @ 08/07/13 08:19 PM
Quote:
It's the first news regarding gameplay, and it was released as a single, solitary piece of news. I don't think saying that 2K is treating it like a "feature" is much of a stretch, especially when the thread title has the word "Features" in it, and it's being touted as a whole new engine/system, and just a slight tweak.
You'd think most would be happy to get early tidbits of info about the game and not make assumptions. Things shouldn't get parsed to the degree they are around here. 2K had to purposely downplay the news before they released it so it wouldn't spiral out of control - which is exactly what some would've been trying to do had 2K not prefaced the release so there was some perspective. How is trying to make it seem like something was said when it wasn't not a huge stretch?

# 146 BallIsLife2 @ 08/07/13 09:45 PM
Quote:
2K14 gameplay features a new blocking system.

Does that make you feel better? Or do you still want to argue?

# 147 Eman5805 @ 08/07/13 09:54 PM
Quote:
and it's being touted as a whole new engine/system
But...it is a whole new system.

# 148 MarriedToMyGun @ 08/07/13 10:57 PM
2K14 is going to suck if they took blacktop out, Im def not going to buy it, if the rumor holds to be true.

# 149 bumpyface @ 08/08/13 02:44 AM
Man wait till yall get yo hands on the game to judge it. I'm glad they trying to incorporate more D, but there were a lot more prominent issues in 13 besides the inability to block. I can't wait to both hoop games drop. Whichever delivers the most all-around playable game, can have my $65-$70.

# 150 toneqdup @ 08/08/13 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Good call. My brother and I have a bad habit recently of pausing the game and replaying all the times our right handed player had a clear path to the backboard but instead opted to stop their momentum, go completely out of their way, attempt a layup or dunk at the front of the rim, with the off hand, right into the teeth of the waiting defense.

That said, I still think there's a time and a place for flashy dunks in the half court, just not if they're obviously going to lead to an easy block. For instance, if a prime Vince ever made a video game appearance, I wouldn't want to be unable to pull this off just because there's defenders waiting:

Is that the Clippers bench?? Look at the guy in the middle, HA!!

# 151 Vni @ 08/08/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
No, I was being dead goddamn serious.

If I call a girl "tough" because where I grew up, that means "Good-looking," you ain't gon sit there and tell me that's not what "tough" means. Because that IS what it means, in that solitary context, because that's what I meant.

It doesn't matter what I said. It matters what I meant.

You can't tell someone to stop calling something a "feature," because they might be thinking of the word in a different way than you are. You're trying to tell them that they mean what the dictionary says, which they most likely don't. They can use whatever word they want. It doesn't matter. What matters is what they mean by the word they use.
In marketing what you say doesn't matter, it's what people understands that matters.

What are we talking about anyway lol.

# 152 black_mamba24 @ 08/08/13 10:55 AM
@RyanFitzmagic So you're telling us that if we insult someone with a derogatory term, say, stupid, that if we didn't mean "slow of mind" and we meant "awesome person", then that's the way they should take it? I don't think you should be telling us how to take things. Also, I or anyone else should be allowed to respectfully correct you or anyone else who may be wrong. We have nothing against you, we just want to see that you understand that Ronnie called it "a tiny bit of news", and feature means the exact opposite. If you meant "a tiny bit of news" when you said "feature" then you're fine.

You know, when other people correct people, it makes those people smarter.

Had to use my favorite LD2k .gif

# 153 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/08/13 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba24
@RyanFitzmagic So you're telling us that if we insult someone with a derogatory term, say, stupid, that if we didn't mean "slow of mind" and we meant "awesome person", then that's the way they should take it?
If they knew you mean it that way? Um... yeah.

I think on the first episode of Fresh Prince, Will Smith told Uncle Phil that the plane ride from Philly to LA was "stupid." Uncle Phil took offense, and Vivian had to tell him that he meant it was good.

So yeah, you take words by what the speaker means, not what the dictionary says it means.

# 154 mdjblack93 @ 08/08/13 11:06 AM
Well about time because I remember only blocking one dunk and from then on I was never able to to it again on NBA 2k13. This is a much needed addition being that they have the Eraser ability(that should've included blocking dunks.) But I'm still not sold yet, once I actually have my hands on the game I will see for myself.

# 155 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/08/13 11:18 AM
You cited a hypothetical statement in which you call someone "stupid," but in your mind, you're not calling them dumb or un-knowledgeable-- you're calling them awesome.

If they know when you say "stupid," you mean "awesome," that's exactly how they should take it.

# 156 black_mamba24 @ 08/08/13 11:24 AM
Quote:
You cited a hypothetical statement in which you call someone "stupid," but in your mind, you're not calling them dumb or un-knowledgeable-- you're calling them awesome.

If they know when you say "stupid," you mean "awesome," that's exactly how they should take it.
I'm not trying to bash your use of words, I'm trying to understand it. I just wanted to know what you meant by feature.

# 157 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/08/13 11:28 AM
I said it earlier in the thread:

# 158 lockdownD @ 08/08/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
If I recall...

up = flashy
back = reverse
forward = straight dunk (regular)
down = power
spinning the stick will yield a 360 dunk

Am I right on this? To this day I still press it accordingly and I don't know why because the dunks are pretty much context now.

With the new block dunk system in place that useless from dunk to layup move will finally be useful.
On Xbox 360 it was I believe:

rt+up = normal/signature dunk
rt+right = two handed rim hang dunk
rt+left = hop step dunk
rt+down = reverse dunk
rt+down or rt+diagonally away from basket close to paint = 360 dunk

On PS3 it might of been totally different I'm not sure. Yeah, once in awhile on dunks I still catch myself also pushing the RS to the right, I guess just out of sheer habit from doing it so much in 2k11 lol.

Hopefully, they add back a more advanced dunk controls system in the game for the sticks. I miss not having the same level of control over my dunks like I used to. The ability to perform signature layup moves like you used to be able to do I hope returns as well.

# 159 Ward13 @ 08/10/13 10:08 AM
How can they remove blocks from the game and then bring them back attached to a marketing scheme? 2K sports has gone WAY to mainstream and have little concern with making a COMPLETE simulation game, they are simply giving to eventually take away smh It's not right at all!

# 160 Ward13 @ 08/10/13 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicey79
The rubberbands are not plain...they have some type of writing on them.
Nice now make the sneaker fully HD and correct not the reversing art to make the left sneaker.
The block system looks dope though.
I think those rubberbands were made specifically for LeBron and wont be available to use. I would never give 2K that much credit seeing as how CAP accessories have only gotten worse over the years and LeBron IS the cover athlete so...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.