Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

It looks like we will finally have tattoos in Madden. Check out the latest Madden NFL 15 screenshot of Colin Kaepernick showing off his ink.

UPDATE: Via @EricFisherSBJ

Quote:
Kaepernick personally secured his own permissions for tattoos in upcoming "Madden." Not sign of broader plan.

NFL doesn't have a contractual ban against tattoos in Madden. Artist permissions have been issue, but Kap got his own.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 roadman @ 06/05/14 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Not fishy, just lazy. Havent been following that closely but are the tattoos of 1 player really the first thing theyve released about this game?
It's a buildup for E3 next week, I'm sure.

# 182 testudoaubreii @ 06/05/14 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
The second one I thought looked cartoonish. The first one looked great though. I think the final game actually looks on par with the first pic. As an example, here is an in-game shot I took a little while back:

The problem a lot of people had was that it didn't look quite on par with this:

One tiny thing that I noticed with that E3 shot is that when RGIII's fingers roll off of his helmet after covering the helmet's ear hole, they actually move over the contour of the helmet and face guard. It looks like his hand is really touching the surface of the helmet and not just gliding over it or going into it, like we see sometimes in actual gameplay. And, I don't think I have ever seen a QB bark out plays like that one. I would say that is a tell-tale sign of CGI.

# 183 friscob @ 06/05/14 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It's a buildup for E3 next week, I'm sure.
Maybe. In the past theyve always been so tight lipped about their product. Releasing something as superficial as ONE players tattoos before any gameplay improvements feels like a typical ea move. Just hope the game changes more than just on the surface

# 184 roadman @ 06/05/14 03:00 PM
Quote:
Maybe. In the past theyve always been so tight lipped about their product. Releasing something as superficial as ONE players tattoos before any gameplay improvements feels like a typical ea move. Just hope the game changes more than just on the surface
Agreed, we'll see how all the other stuff translates on the field.

# 185 BezO @ 06/05/14 03:06 PM
23 pages about a single still shot. EA has the best video game marketing of ALL TIME.

# 186 StL_RamZ @ 06/05/14 03:11 PM
so hes going to be the only player with tatts in madden????

must be in that new contract he just signed hahahaha

# 187 msdm27 @ 06/05/14 03:19 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet.... Tattoo-gate only highlights the lack of thought/consideration for the consumer from the Madden team. And how they go for marketing shock value rather than being straight forward.

That screenshot was the first, THE FIRST! release for Madden15... What, did they think people weren't gonna automatically believe tats were back?

They could not possibly have thought people were gonna be like... "aw well, one out of hundreds of players in the league seems like a good start".... They just care about the mentions. For Madden, any publicity is good publicity.
They just don't care, that's the truth.

Also, I find it really hard to believe that Colin Kaepernick is the only player interested enough in Madden to have done this with his tattoo artist. Really? After all these years, no player had asked EA why their tats weren't in the game?

And just to finish the rant.... I saw someone mention, jokingly obviously, that what was next, parents suing EA because their sons were in the game. Well, don't discount that... Maybe the fathers of Jamaal Charles, Dez Bryant and Julio Jones were suing EA and that's why Madden represented them in the game with a completely wrong skin tone :P

This just to say...... LAZYNESS!

# 188 Iceman87GT @ 06/05/14 03:19 PM
Quote:
I don't think the purpose of the screen shot was to show off tattoos.

I think they just seized on the fact that Kaepernick signed a huge deal that makes him the 49ers QB for the next 7 years. He's represents a new style of QB (Read option), and EA is going to tout that, as it will undoubtedly influence how their game is played (already has for that matter). Given the lack of other promotional material (Chris McLeod promised there is a lot more where that came from, and everyone else I follow on twitter said pretty much nothing) my guess is they discovered Kaepernick was close to a deal and then made a quick decision to tease us with a screen shot. If no major player signed a new contract before E3 I doubt we would have gotten one at all.

We do usually get a few glimpses at their upcoming titles even before E3, but they are always small glimpses. I think the fact that EA doesn't have NCAA to show off anymore means they will be pushing up how they advertise Madden. I mean in the past they had to be careful not to get people so excited for madden that they opt to skip the July release and just wait until August, now they don't have to worry about hurting sales for any other football title of theirs and can thus start the hype machine sooner.

# 189 SmashMan @ 06/05/14 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowery
I call BS! In UFC and NBA games their players have tattoos. You mean to tell me only one player in the NFL wants their tattoos in the game? Not buying it, something seems fishy about this situation.
No, but maybe only one player went out and got the tattoo artist to sign off. Maybe other players have had multiple artists that they might not be able to contact, or who might not want to sign off. Maybe other players don't see it as a pressing issue so they haven't made it a priority for themselves.

All we know is that Colin Kaepernick cared enough to go out and get his artist to sign off on having their work appear in Madden, so here it is.

# 190 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/05/14 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
But it is being lazy because there is a thing called immersion and realism. And other developers who face the same hurdles as EA constantly go beyond the call of duty (no pun intended) to make sure they can have as many areas of realism in their games.

If all EA had to do was get players to obtain permission from their tattoo artist to have their tats in the game why wasn't it done before? You mean to tell me this is the first time a tattoo artist was willing to agree to allow the tattoos he's provided to one of his most famous, high profile client's to be published without compensation? The bottom line is EA didn't do it because they didn't have to because there was no incentive to do so.

The sad thing is this "tattoo license debate" really overshadows a damn nice screen shot of what could be a special madden from a visual standpoint. Need to see it in motion before I anoint them.

This

# 191 kjcheezhead @ 06/05/14 03:28 PM
Quote:
People continue to make excuses for Madden and wonder why it's so far behind other sports games. What about in replays and close up camera angels? Not caring about the little things is whats gotten Madden in this hole.
I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying for me, I don't care. Would tattoos on close ups add realism? Sure. But my favorite football game is APF, and I honestly can't tell you if players have tattoos in that game. I never pointed them out as a reason I liked that game. Basically, I find so much else wrong with Madden that tattoos aren't going to change my opinion much one way or the other.

Madden td celebrations are hilariously goofy by the way. I shake my head every time I see the fake air guitar celebration where he smashes it at the end. Tattoos won't get me to focus away from that stupid animation.

# 192 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/05/14 03:28 PM
All I know is that it'll be lame if only Kaepernick or a hand full of players have tattoos & no other players do. I say either all or nothing because it'll look even more awkward if only certain players have them than none at all.

# 193 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 03:29 PM
EA knew what they were doing with this screenshot. Why not release a screenshot of the finalist for the cover then? They knew what this would do.

# 194 apollon42 @ 06/05/14 03:44 PM
Alright, I can live with the tattoo thing. But how about updated equipment and fix the dreads. You're not making NCAA anymore, just put those gloves in the game. Guys like Richard Sherman have long dreads that really hang out of their helmet. Also, there's no licensing issue with regard to mouthpieces. I'll forgive the tattoos if they fix the sidelines too.

# 195 roadman @ 06/05/14 03:53 PM
If Sherman get's a waiver claim signed from all the artist, they'll put them in the game in the future.

# 196 dghustla @ 06/05/14 04:01 PM
Quote:
You mean to tell me they couldn't even get the future cover boy Richard Sherman tatts in the game? smh. Wonder if he will have his long dreads? I really need to see this game in motion for them to win me over again. The better the graphics are the more noticeable glitches, bugs, bad animations, and small details become.
Sherman's Dread didn't sign the waiver form. If the dreads appear in the game at their actual length they can sue EA.

# 197 Only1LT @ 06/05/14 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Is there a lawyer in the house?
I'm not a lawyer... but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

# 198 apollon42 @ 06/05/14 04:13 PM
I'll forgive them if they put Marshawn Lynch's mouthpiece in the game.

# 199 StefJoeHalt @ 06/05/14 04:18 PM
Funny this came up.. I'm at my tattoo shop getting more work..thought I ask him..his response "ur kidding me" he is under the impression any work done to someone's body is that person's " property" ie not the artist ..however we live in the great nation of "sue a lot"...and on most cases it way easier(ie cheaper) for companies to settle out of court then fight and win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 200 CM Hooe @ 06/05/14 04:21 PM
In an effort to consolidate the forums, please continue discussion about all things related to Colin Kaepernick's tattoos in Madden NFL 15 in this thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...5-tattoos.html

Closed.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.