Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

(Promoting this post to the homepage, written by Mike Wang, Sr. Game Designer for NBA 2K15)

Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ForeverVersatile @ 08/15/14 08:00 PM
Guy's, defensive and shot quality will affect the meter so you will not me able to master it as Beluba said. Add this with the new shot fatigue system and there will be no masteing. You get a nice clean look the user still has to make the shot within the meter window. So the chances of a user making a very late released shot will slim to none, meaning no more lucky stuff.

# 42 bls @ 08/15/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.
How does this tie into online lag? Would be extremely difficult to get good timings due to the lag online.

# 43 Beluba @ 08/15/14 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
Hey Beluga... appreciate the post.....I really do... but I have 2 quick question

1. Is the meter present during FT?
2. Does fatigue affects timing on the meter?
We did not implement the meter for FTs. Technical difficulties. I would like to re-visit that next year.

Yes, fatigue impacts the meter.

# 44 Beluba @ 08/15/14 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
So Beluba if you could clarify... Is the ability to get perfect timing tied at all to shooting rating, or is it solely a matter of mastering a persons shot animation?

In other words, is there more 'grace' with the meter to be able to achieve a perfect shot with say a Step Curry than there is for a Kendrick Perkins?
The meter is constructed from all the factors that go into shooting... so yes, Steph will have a much easier window to time compared to Perk taking the same exact shot under the same exact conditions.

# 45 kolanji @ 08/15/14 08:20 PM
Quote:
We did not implement the meter for FTs. Technical difficulties. I would like to re-visit that next year.

Yes, fatigue impacts the meter.

Oh ok fair enough about the FT not having it was only asking cause at times A+ misses on first shot then a C+ is made on the second shot..... nonetheless am glad to hear about the new shooting factors, especially with fatigued being one of them.... that makes me really excited

looking forward to hear more info on what you did to the controls this year.....

# 46 Goffs @ 08/15/14 08:29 PM
Beluba I'm gonna go against the grain here and ask for an option to completely remove the circles under the players. I just want a name to pop up when the ball handler gets the ball or whenever you switch to a player.

I usually turn off every indicator on the court and just straight up play. It was possible to have everything off in past 2k's and hoping to have that no indicator/circle option back.

# 47 thedream2k13 @ 08/15/14 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Guy's, defensive and shot quality will affect the meter so you will not me able to master it as Beluba said. Add this with the new shot fatigue system and there will be no masteing. You get a nice clean look the user still has to make the shot within the meter window. So the chances of a user making a very late released shot will slim to none, meaning no more lucky stuff.
My main concern is I hope people aren't looking at a meter instead of learning a players shot release . Sony had this same mechanic it seems

# 48 Beluba @ 08/15/14 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I have that little excitement in my belly

# 49 Rell7thirty @ 08/15/14 08:44 PM
Hey beluba, this new shot meter option sounds challenging, in a good way.

Are hot spots going to play a role on the meter? For example, a player who is known to drain corner 3's will have a larger shot meter window from both corners.

And you mentioned focusing on the release point in order to have an ideal shot making opportunity, instead of the meter. I just hope you aren't deliberately slowing down player animations to compensate for "frustrating" difficulty. Every player's release should be as close in timed precision to their real life counterpart, meaning the speed of the release should be different for everyone. Meaning, focusing on the release is a must for a "perfect timing", and not a timed button press for every player.

I also noticed you guys have slowed down some player jump shots (Carmelo, Steph Curry for example) compared to real life, perhaps in relation to some gamers complaining on twitter saying "it's too fast of a release, I can't learn it!"

These players should not have hitches in their jump shots unless they do in real life. Steph Curry is a one motion shooter, meaning it's one continuous flow, that of which is lacking in nba 2k14 because his arm stops in motion once he starts forward motion from his forehead, and it looks like he's double pumping to shoot. These animation hitches aren't subtle, so I'm hoping this new shot meter option will fix that issue. Steph Curry's release is under .4 seconds, yet in 2k14 it takes a full second.

I really appreciate the work you guys put into your games, and so happy some of you are actually communicating with the people who are playing your games. Thank you for your time.

# 50 eko718 @ 08/15/14 08:51 PM
Quote:
The meter is constructed from all the factors that go into shooting... so yes, Steph will have a much easier window to time compared to Perk taking the same exact shot under the same exact conditions.
Thanks for clarifying that Beluba. I guess what is confusing me a bit is how exactly the shot animation and the meter are tied together.

I heard you mention that the meter grows and shrinks and the way I am now interpreting it is that the sweet spot of the meter corresponds with the ideal release point of the particular shooting animation...is that correct?

If this is correct, that the sweet spot of the meter corresponds with the ideal release point of the particular shooting animation, I am trying to understand how I would get different results if I applied the same shooting animation and timing to Curry and Perkins.

When you say that Curry will have an easier window to time than Perkins, do you mean that with Curry, good and fair shots may go in sometimes whereas with Perkins only perfect shots will go in?

# 51 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/15/14 08:52 PM
Ill give it a try but Ill always be a real FG% guy and Im glad they've left that in.

# 52 ForeverVersatile @ 08/15/14 08:53 PM
But if it's a bad shot chances are it won't go in anyway. If you hit the meter timing I think it just increases the % that it may go in. If you don't hit the meter timing on a bad shot it definitely won't go in rather than be lucky. That's how I see it.

# 53 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/15/14 08:55 PM
And the worrry for me is that there are dudes who are just dynamite with controls. I use all the dudes who pwn me in Titanfall/BF4 as evidence.

Having any controller window for Perkins/Biedrins/Dwight type to start nailing 3s and fallaways is a worry.

# 54 Leftos @ 08/15/14 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Having any controller window for Perkins/Biedrins/Dwight type to start nailing 3s and fallaways is a worry.
There's no controller window that would allow those guys to make those kinds of shots with any consistency.

# 55 turty11 @ 08/15/14 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
There's no controller window that would allow those guys to make those kinds of shots with any consistency.
did you not see that guy taking 3's with duncan?

people will find a way!

# 56 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/15/14 09:10 PM
Quote:
Good to hear.

# 57 23 @ 08/15/14 09:11 PM
Cmon man are you guys just pandering just because?

You know good and well a guy wont win taking 3s with Tim Duncan all game long

Key word is consistency. A role player can go off on any given night, and even a few but he can't carry a team like a superstar night in and out

# 58 eko718 @ 08/15/14 09:16 PM
Quote:
Does a perfect release on the meter always result in the shot going in if the player is wide open?

# 59 JTheClip @ 08/15/14 09:20 PM
I have the same question as eko, even if its extremely hard to get a perfect release with deandre jordan, if i magically do it, will that shot go in?

# 60 Leftos @ 08/15/14 09:23 PM
A perfect release doesn't magically mean the player can actually make that shot. I can release that scrap of paper perfectly any time from my desk, still can't make the trash can 4 feet away.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.