Home
Project CARS News Post

While we already have a topic created for the PC version of Project CARS, we wanted to start one for the console gamers.

Put in some laps and post your impressions!

Game: Project CARSReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox OneVotes for game: 1 - View All
Project CARS Videos
Member Comments
# 101 RunN1st @ 05/13/15 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Something I just discovered that has helped me is that you can allow an AI racer to take control. This really helps because you can see first hand what gears to be in on different turns and such. You can access the option in the quick race weekend mode during the practice runs.
Noticed that too when I pitted in practice... the only problem is that I couldn't figure out how to take control back.

# 102 LingeringRegime @ 05/13/15 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunN1st
Noticed that too when I pitted in practice... the only problem is that I couldn't figure out how to take control back.

Yeah same. What I did was let the AI control practice session 1. Then I did the rest of the sessions manually. It helped me for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 103 bcruise @ 05/13/15 05:50 PM
Just picked this up with news of the apparent delay of the Division - one less game I have to pay for this year. I was probably going to get it anyway, but that news made the decision happen a lot sooner.

# 104 Trevelyan @ 05/13/15 05:55 PM
I've played it quite a bit on XB1 since the US release, I'm enjoying the game but there are some problems.

The biggest one is that the controller sensitivities on the default settings are really bad. I think this is the general feeling online since so many people are posting controller configurations. After playing around with the controls a bit I have them in a place I'm happy with, but it took about 3 hours of frustration. Since you can't adjust the controls in game its a lot of time spent staring at loading screens.

The other big problem is playing with the rain on is really irritating. The combination of how much the cars are affected and the bad framerate ruins the experience. I'd like to see how challenging the rain would be in a 60FPS situation, but outside of buying the PC version I'll never experience that.

The AI is also exceptionally stupid on every difficulty I've played on(between 70 and 100). They don't seem to even recognize you're on the track and tend to run you off the road at every opportunity.

Other than some nitpicks with how the manual transmission functions in the game, I'm starting to really enjoy it. I don't like it better than Forza 5(right now anyway) but the large variety in tracks is great and its a good distraction before some other games come out.

# 105 Solidice @ 05/13/15 07:39 PM
for AI settings for me in career mode, I've been doing 85% for the kart racing(still probably too easy with the super karts), and between 78-82% for other events, mostly depending on the track. the AI in the karts seem to be easier than normal cars. at 85%, I usually pull away quite easily, although I tend to fly off the track at times due to the crazy grip in those things, so it evens out.

# 106 YungThugga08 @ 05/13/15 09:21 PM
Man.. these karts are crazy twitchy..

# 107 jb12780 @ 05/13/15 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Just picked this up with news of the apparent delay of the Division - one less game I have to pay for this year. I was probably going to get it anyway, but that news made the decision happen a lot sooner.
Fine choice. If you like sim racers, this one is for you.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 108 YungThugga08 @ 05/13/15 09:24 PM
I'm not really a Sim racing fanatic.. just a guy who like racers. My friends don't think that this is for them because of the lack of road cars. I took the plunge anyway and I'm hooked. Once I get everything tailored the way I want, I'm golden.

# 109 YungThugga08 @ 05/13/15 09:37 PM
In my first online lobby/race.. on Silverstone GP with the Audi R8 V10 Plus

I just finished the race. I finished 4th out of 10.. I got up to either 3rd or 2nd and I spun out. I must say, that was pretty intense..

I've had more fun with this one battle than racing online on GT6 since it's release..

2nd edit: I'm gonna post a screenshot of the race results and I'm gonna try to upload a video of my first online race to YouTube..

# 110 edwing @ 05/13/15 10:44 PM
Online is not bad. Started on pole and finished 3rd in both races I've ran in stock cars at Watkins Glen. However, both times the 2 people who finished ahead of me cut through the chicane every single lap. The game gives you a 5 second speed penalty for that (I've tested it to make sure) but clearly that isn't enough to stop it from being an exploit. Hopefully something will be done about that.

# 111 DirtyJerz32 @ 05/13/15 11:53 PM
I really suck at racing games. I cannot for the life of me stay on the track. Maybe I need to go play Forza Horizon, maybe a sim racer isn't for me.

With all that said, I want to keep playing.

# 112 bcruise @ 05/13/15 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
I really suck at racing games. I cannot for the life of me stay on the track. Maybe I need to go play Forza Horizon, maybe a sim racer isn't for me.

With all that said, I want to keep playing.
Might want to check out some of those controller settings posts/threads, because if this game is the type to assume that you use a wheel, they will need some major tweaks - I know that from my time with past PC racing sim games.

# 113 DirtyJerz32 @ 05/14/15 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Might want to check out some of those controller settings posts/threads, because if this game is the type to assume that you use a wheel, they will need some major tweaks - I know that from my time with past PC racing sim games.
I've tried adjusting the controller settings and assists, nothing is keeping me on the track. Last race I played it very safe just trying to finish a race and ended up coming in last of 29. I'm not using a wheel and have no thoughts on getting one so for me to enjoy this game I must find a sweet spot.

# 114 YungThugga08 @ 05/14/15 12:21 AM
Here is the link to my first online race. I still haven't gotten used to the game yet, but I ran this under automatic and did it on a ds4.. I think I did pretty good for my first time..

https://youtu.be/NvJehW36MiE

Sweet, I got it to embed on my first try!

# 115 SinisterAlex @ 05/14/15 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
I've tried adjusting the controller settings and assists, nothing is keeping me on the track. Last race I played it very safe just trying to finish a race and ended up coming in last of 29. I'm not using a wheel and have no thoughts on getting one so for me to enjoy this game I must find a sweet spot.
How are you using your throttle and brakes? Hard acceleration out of corners and while turning will cause the car to spin out. Hard braking will cause the brakes to lock up (if you aren't using ABS that is).

For me I downshift into the gear I want before I enter the corner, remain in that gear until the apex then gently apply the accelerator pedal out of the turn until my wheels are pointing straight then I floor it and shift as normal.

Having an appropriate line into a corner will also help keep your vehicle on the track.

Are you using assists? I would have everything on until you get comfortable.

# 116 bcruise @ 05/14/15 02:25 AM
I think I'm having too much fun running practice laps instead of an actual race...lol. This game is going to fill a racing niche for me that's been absent for a very, very long time.

Went straight to the Pro settings and, even with all of the aids turned off I feel like the car handles pretty well. Took some getting used to at first, particularly throttle control out of turns - it's really easy to oversteer and spin if I floor it. But watching the AI drive for a bit helped me out with braking points and the rest is slowly coming together. Basically I have a bad tendency to drive too aggressively, so if I just lift off the throttle a little sooner and get back on it a little later I'm usually all right.

It REALLY helps if you start out with a slow pace on a new track, so you can get a feel for what your max speed through a corner can be, and figure out where to start slowing down and throttle back up from there. Also it seems like the pit crew guy isn't blowing smoke about the first lap - the tires can definitely be squirrelly on the first lap out of the pits. Take it slow until you come around to the line again, then try to get up to speed.

So far I can only do the Autodrome track because the game is downloading, so I don't have many impressions outside of gameplay.

# 117 SinisterAlex @ 05/14/15 02:26 AM
Oh and if you guys want a real challenge drive the Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.8 AMG without assists on Outland Park International.

Even when I adjusted the vehicles tuning setup I had a hell of a time keeping that thing going straight let alone on the track.

# 118 Artman22 @ 05/14/15 02:43 AM
I'm starting to wonder if best buy didn't anticipate this game to do well. Went to 2 different best buys looking for the ps4 version and both best buys were sold old, but they did have the xbox one version. Have to check again tomorrow.

# 119 bcruise @ 05/14/15 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
Oh and if you guys want a real challenge drive the Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.8 AMG without assists on Outland Park International.

Even when I adjusted the vehicles tuning setup I had a hell of a time keeping that thing going straight let alone on the track.
Here's my only successful attempt at it with the stock setup- as you can see it took 7 laps and almost a half hour, lol. Even then I almost blew it on the final turn:

I don't know what was worse to manage - the tires or the gear ratio.

# 120 LingeringRegime @ 05/14/15 06:54 AM
I can't wait to play more this afternoon and tonight.

Couldn't play much last night because I was watching Warriors game.

I played about two hours yesterday just on the Time Trials trying to beat my own times. Love the challenge of figuring out the turns, what gears to downshift to, and how far I can push each car.

Feels good to finally have a simulation racer on the new consoles.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.