Home
NBA Live 17 News Post

As we reported on just a bit ago, NBA Live is definitely not coming to consoles this fall -- and may be going through a complete overhaul according to a new message posted by Sean O'Brien on EA's website.

Quote:
Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Game: NBA Live 17Hype Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 jenglund @ 05/10/16 05:22 PM
Steve_OS said it best, "Bring back NBA Street!"

# 2 HenryClay1844 @ 05/10/16 05:26 PM
Wow, no one saw this coming, and by no one I mean everyone.

# 3 RyanLaFalce @ 05/10/16 05:27 PM
Pack it up boys, we're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 4 ghettog @ 05/10/16 05:40 PM
I don't care about mobile games. It makes sense for them to not launch at the same time as NBA 2k. 2k owns the market. Probably better to launch at a time when people are getting bored with the current NBA 2k release. That is if they are truly still committed to the console game like they say. I doubt that though.

# 5 blackceasar @ 05/10/16 06:04 PM
I mean honestly and I'm not trying to dog on EA Sports (you know, don't wanna get banned), but at some point you just have to base your judgment and level of skepticism based on previous track record. It's all about that track record folks. No one put a gun to their head and told them to make really bad basketball games (Live 10 and Elite 11 I'm looking at you). Also no one put a gun to their head and told them to scrap a game, take multiple years off and talk a big game of promising that the time off was to make something truly amazing (...or at least worth a full 60.00), only for the next game to come out after the big speeches was another relative failure. I dont say "failure" but I say "relative failure" because had they just kept their mouth shut in the past, the backlash would have been so severe last time they pulled this stunt.

It's track record people. No one here is out to just see EA Sport's demise. Nor does anyone here want to see them fail. So when we read articles like this and hit them hard, we have a right to do so, we have a right to be skeptical, and we have a right to disagree with the fanboys and other people over hyping up the game because of their own relationship potentially with the publisher. At the end of the day, again, it's track record. You cannot deny it. It's there. It's forever written in the history of the interwebs. It's no different than being bad with your money and debt and having a 370 FICO score now. No bank want's to hear your story, or your sell job on what you're going to do now. They don't wanna hear it and you're not getting the benefit of the doubt simply because your track record is all on you as a game developer.

So he said they are giving it more development time... okay... last time you did this you had a whole two years... you talked it up.. and look what happened.

So he said we want to release our own basketball game in a different time of the year to shake things up. Hmmmm... basically what you're really saying is you don't feel as confident in your own game to compete with the 2k franchise. Think about it... the fact that you don't want to release your product at the same time, and around the time youve always released it until another company started doing it better really speaks volumes in the faith and confidence you have in your own product. It's like a group of kids that arent that good at basketball wanting to play a pick up game but when they get close to the court they see some really good players there, so they just wait for those kids to leave before you get on the court....

I'm not an EA Sports *****. I wish they would get their **** together to be honest. I WANT two GREAT games so I can choose. That's not been the case in years.... Track record. When it comes to Live your's isnt great and here you go again....

# 6 tril @ 05/10/16 06:18 PM
focusing on mobile, means more user friendly and less hard core sim. There is a market for that so in the end they may sell alot, but wont win any awards.

EA cant keep scrapping and restarting. That is not cost effective at all. LIve on console being a sim title IMO, is officially dead.

out of the big 4 major American sports, The one sim title per sport is officially here.

# 7 RayRay34 @ 05/10/16 06:30 PM
Wow, I've been a supporter of Live for a very long time. You pulled the crappie with NBA Elite and I let it slide then again with NBA Live 13 and now here we are with this mess.. I'm sorry EA but after three times I'm done. I've get PES for my soccer fix, other alternatives for my golf fix I guess I'll just need a substitute for my football and hockey fix. You also made my decision for me on not renewing my EA Access account with the piss poor effort you put into it this year

# 8 nick_sr @ 05/10/16 06:40 PM
Heartbroken. Whatever they're doing, it better be worth it.

# 9 bateman11 @ 05/10/16 06:53 PM
The game hasn't really improved in ten years anyway. I'm very disappointed in EA; they cannot compete with 2k in the sim market. Re-evaluate the direction and give us a basketball alternative we can play in the near future. Basketball can be fun even if it isn't purely based around simulating the NBA. Just give us something that isn't broken, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 10 Dazraz @ 05/10/16 07:16 PM
If you make a game solely for profit you will always miss the point. Of course if you have an exclusive license success is rewarded almost by default. NBA isn't an EA exclusive & that is why they fail.

# 11 Bolt957 @ 05/10/16 07:42 PM
As previously stated, just bring back NBA Street. And NFL Street while their at it.

# 12 Ownal0t @ 05/10/16 08:27 PM
Yep. Ok. i think its time

its been a privilege boys. i seen this show before

# 13 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/10/16 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I mean honestly and I'm not trying to dog on EA Sports (you know, don't wanna get banned), but at some point you just have to base your judgment and level of skepticism based on previous track record. It's all about that track record folks. No one put a gun to their head and told them to make really bad basketball games (Live 10 and Elite 11 I'm looking at you). Also no one put a gun to their head and told them to scrap a game, take multiple years off and talk a big game of promising that the time off was to make something truly amazing (...or at least worth a full 60.00), only for the next game to come out after the big speeches was another relative failure. I dont say "failure" but I say "relative failure" because had they just kept their mouth shut in the past, the backlash would have been so severe last time they pulled this stunt.

It's track record people. No one here is out to just see EA Sport's demise. Nor does anyone here want to see them fail. So when we read articles like this and hit them hard, we have a right to do so, we have a right to be skeptical, and we have a right to disagree with the fanboys and other people over hyping up the game because of their own relationship potentially with the publisher. At the end of the day, again, it's track record. You cannot deny it. It's there. It's forever written in the history of the interwebs. It's no different than being bad with your money and debt and having a 370 FICO score now. No bank want's to hear your story, or your sell job on what you're going to do now. They don't wanna hear it and you're not getting the benefit of the doubt simply because your track record is all on you as a game developer.

So he said they are giving it more development time... okay... last time you did this you had a whole two years... you talked it up.. and look what happened.

So he said we want to release our own basketball game in a different time of the year to shake things up. Hmmmm... basically what you're really saying is you don't feel as confident in your own game to compete with the 2k franchise. Think about it... the fact that you don't want to release your product at the same time, and around the time youve always released it until another company started doing it better really speaks volumes in the faith and confidence you have in your own product. It's like a group of kids that arent that good at basketball wanting to play a pick up game but when they get close to the court they see some really good players there, so they just wait for those kids to leave before you get on the court....

I'm not an EA Sports *****. I wish they would get their **** together to be honest. I WANT two GREAT games so I can choose. That's not been the case in years.... Track record. When it comes to Live your's isnt great and here you go again....
Couldn't have said it better.

# 14 CujoMatty @ 05/10/16 08:51 PM
This is horrible news. I hated live for a long time and I know I'm in the minority , but last years live was so close to being a great game. I really found myself playing it more and more and I was actually very excited for 17. The way that the announcement sounds sure seems like the white flag for consoles is coming out. God I hope they get something good out for consoles but this whole thing has that last year of mlb2k feel to it where basically a last ditch roster update money grab attempt happened.

# 15 KingTocco @ 05/10/16 08:53 PM
This has the whole NBA Elite 11 ring to it...

# 16 ZoneSix @ 05/10/16 09:02 PM
committed to consoles but the focus is on mobile.. that doesn't sound good.

# 17 Nemesis Enforcer @ 05/10/16 09:10 PM
Too bad. Live 10 will always be a top 10 game of all time for me and Live 16 is a solid game with Pro Am being a must play for any basketball fan. It's just a few years too late with 14 and start of 15 being flat out terrible and I don't see Fran mode ever getting on the level of 2k

I hope they don't give up on pro am. Most fun I've had in a while and really rewards sim basketball along with casual. Almost at 300 wins and 200 losses.

# 18 KingTocco @ 05/10/16 09:15 PM
Anyone remember Jesus Bynum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

I don't really get this move by the Live team, they say they care and all the right things but then hardly support NBA Live 16. Their whole business plan doesn't make much sense to me, I truly believe they should just scrap this franchise and focus on something else.

Go the NBA Street route and make a new one of those, maybe make a Pro-Am focused game as well since that was fairly decent in Live 16. I know some of you in here actually believe this was a good game this year but it's the same 10 or so of you talking.

I'd really like for NBA Live to get it together for competition sake but that's about it at this point, it's always wait until next year or we are almost there...that was 2, 3, 4 years ago. We are still relatively in the same spot IMHO. They have made some improvements but not anywhere near enough for a AAA Franchise.

# 19 Ermolli @ 05/10/16 09:31 PM
I understand some people's optimism about the news, how the extra time gives more time for the dev team to deliver a better product, however, how can they be so sure that they'll release a great game because of it? It feels like 2010 again with the delay to early next year, to then a cancellation and then who know's what's going to happen.

This isn't great news for EA nor the basketball gaming community. Live's brand and perception is at an all-time low, people don't trust EA, don't care about Live and don't think they could ever recover since their downfall with Elite 11.

I believe that at best they'll release a PSN/Xbox Live game with little to no modes (LUT and Pro-Am basically), some improvements in gameplay, and at a reduced price, kinda like Live 13 was going to be (since it makes little sense to release a fully-fledged game with not so much time until the next release). They could release the game along the All-Star Weekend or close to the beginning of the playoffs when the interest of the season starts to peak.

# 20 StillFunkyB @ 05/10/16 09:50 PM
I had never seen the Jesus Bynum. That was funny. Thanks.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.