Home

EA could lose exclusive NFL rights according to EGM

This is a discussion on EA could lose exclusive NFL rights according to EGM within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #49

OVR: 34
Re: EA could lose exclusive NFL rights according to EGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'm sorry but you are simply dreaming and are blinded by a desire to have 2K make a football game again. EA has been setting sales records the last couple years. They sold about 2 million copies of Madden in the first week of sales. I don't like Madden anymore either and I want 2K to make an NFL game again but money is all that matters here. The NFL is making a ton of money and EA is selling more copies than ever. In their mind, this deal is working perfectly. There is nothing wrong. The only thing that would cause the NFL to change their mind is if Madden sales really fell off and that's not happening.

You say the sales would fall off 30% which would equate to almost 2 million units. 2K never sold even a million copies when they were at the same price and many of those owners owned both games so it didn't hurt Madden then. When 2K dropped the price to $20, it probaby did hurt but 2K didn't make any money either and can't do that long term.

As for this negative press argument, where is the negative press? Its only on hardcore message sites like OS or some back page of a newspaper printed once a blue moon. There hasn't been any real negative press about EA and the NFL deal since it happened. The only press I see is "Madden sets sales record". The notion that people aren't playing it as much doesn't make sense since you would see that in the sales figures. As much as people in the 2K forums can love 2K5 and bash Madden, the majority of the free world doesn't feel that way. You can promote Pepsi all day long but people will still drink Coke no matter what the taste tests say.
Well said. Hey, I want a 2K Football game as much as anything in 2007, but some of you need to take off your 2K Sports colored glasses and realize the NFL/EA deal is alive and well.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #50
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
...As for this negative press argument, where is the negative press? Its only on hardcore message sites like OS or some back page of a newspaper printed once a blue moon. There hasn't been any real negative press about EA and the NFL deal since it happened. The only press I see is "Madden sets sales record". The notion that people aren't playing it as much doesn't make sense since you would see that in the sales figures. As much as people in the 2K forums can love 2K5 and bash Madden, the majority of the free world doesn't feel that way. You can promote Pepsi all day long but people will still drink Coke no matter what the taste tests say.
I disagree. Almost every review, whether it be on a hardcore site like this or a casual site or pop culture magazine, has said that they recommend the current gen game over the next gen game. Why? Mainly because of the lack of features. If this continues, the future of Madden isn't on PS2/Xbox. Rather, it's on the 360 and PS3.

If alot of these reviews are already mentioning how after two years they don't understand why the features aren't there, what's gonna happen if hypothetically, the next gen game is STILL missing those featuresin another year or two?

I use the term "negative press" a little too freely, I think. It's not so much "negative press". What I mean to say is that in the past, almost every review of a Madden game has been in the 9/10 or higher area. Those aren't happening anymore, not by a longshot. All I'm trying to say is, if most of these reviews are losing patience with Tiburon over the next gen game now, how negative will their reviews become if the game is still not up to current-gen features in a year or two?

At that point, I think it'd get pretty bad, and the NFL would have to take notice because it's their name on the box.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #51
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I disagree. Almost every review, whether it be on a hardcore site like this or a casual site or pop culture magazine, has said that they recommend the current gen game over the next gen game. Why? Mainly because of the lack of features. If this continues, the future of Madden isn't on PS2/Xbox. Rather, it's on the 360 and PS3.

If alot of these reviews are already mentioning how after two years they don't understand why the features aren't there, what's gonna happen if hypothetically, the next gen game is STILL missing those featuresin another year or two?
I believe EA said they want to rework some of there features they didn't want to add back the same thing..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #52
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I believe EA said they want to rework some of there features they didn't want to add back the same thing..
What exactly have they done in two years on the system? They've taken out features and made the game worse than what it is on the xbox and ps2. It's pretty alarming if they have to completely start over and take 4 or 5 years before they can add everything to a new system.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #53
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Understandable. Some part of the game, other than still shots, should be next-gen. Maybe it'll be some feature

I kid. That very reason is why they are taking heat from the average reviewer. After playing the PS2 version Franchise Mode extensively, with the new Roles and some re-worked parts of it, I can't bring myself to even try the next-gen version because I know the Franchise Mode wouldn't hold my interest. I played the SS Mode awhile, but it too was an incomplete, buggy mode.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #54
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:

I use the term "negative press" a little too freely, I think. It's not so much "negative press". What I mean to say is that in the past, almost every review of a Madden game has been in the 9/10 or higher area. Those aren't happening anymore, not by a longshot. All I'm trying to say is, if most of these reviews are losing patience with Tiburon over the next gen game now, how negative will their reviews become if the game is still not up to current-gen features in a year or two?

At that point, I think it'd get pretty bad, and the NFL would have to take notice because it's their name on the box.
I will agree that the opinions and reviews for next gen haven't been great and that their sales figures are largely padded based on current gen and PC sales. In two years, things may be different but right now the masses are still gobbling up copies of Madden on the shelves and as long as those sales numbers remain high, there is no reason to change the current deal or for the NFL to care.

If the NFL does decide to open up the contract which has two years left, they need to do it soon so other bidders can enter the market and prepare to make a game. I kind of expect an extension of the current contract to happen soon because of that. If the NFL lets it go to the end, EA could actually lowball the NFL since there is no competition. In some ways the NFL killed off the competition which could kill off big increases in the licence fees.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #55
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

Quote:
I will agree that the opinions and reviews for next gen haven't been great and that their sales figures are largely padded based on current gen and PC sales. In two years, things may be different but right now the masses are still gobbling up copies of Madden on the shelves and as long as those sales numbers remain high, there is no reason to change the current deal or for the NFL to care.

If the NFL does decide to open up the contract which has two years left, they need to do it soon so other bidders can enter the market and prepare to make a game. I kind of expect an extension of the current contract to happen soon because of that. If the NFL lets it go to the end, EA could actually lowball the NFL since there is no competition. In some ways the NFL killed off the competition which could kill off big increases in the licence fees.
Agreed 100%. For me, I'm just curious to see how this game sells when it doesn't have the PS2 and Xbox to lean on for sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #56
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
While I generally agree with you, I think the press is no where near negative enough to change the general perception of Madden. One thing EA's done a masterful job of is getting people to manage their expectations. Is there any other major game where most people expect the worst but hope for the best (instead of expecting the best)? Imo Madden's not horrible, it's just mediocre - not good enough to be loved, and not bad enough to get enough people mad.

In general I don't believe the NFL cares about how Madden performs, any more than I believe that John Robinson blurb that the MLB was upset at 2K and how their game was received. The NFL isn't going out of it's way to market the game. I do think the NFL would act if there was enough of a public outcry, but again - EA's done a great job at managing people's expectations. If EA did nothing more than release a roster update and some additional animations for next year's current gen game, that'd be what most expect. If they do nothing but add the current gen features to the next gen game, most would look at that as the expected improvement. As bad as the original Madden 360 was, it still got an 8.0 from IGN I believe. I just read the Game Informer PS3 review where they badmouth the game yet still gave it a 7.75. Stores like EBGames and Gamestop dedicate entire walls to hype Madden 4-5 months before the game releases because they can get people to give them money to reserve it. There are just too many factors that go into the reasoning why the NFL wouldn't force a change.

The only way I see this deal blowing up is if it's not profitable enough for EA. Sure, they're setting sales records - but they were doing that before exclusivity. Change might come if enough people reach the point I have, where they just don't care about NFL videogame football because the game is frustratingly mediocre. But right now I think it's battered wife syndrome - EA has convinced people to be appreciative of even little things like free alternate jerseys - something they did reluctantly lol. Open discussion about the game rarely happens on message boards because it usually tends to generate too much negativity. Diehard Madden fans can't even get up enough to talk down on a possible generic - GENERIC!!! - VC football game. That's how far the game has fallen. But don't see anything changing unless people rise up (unlikely) or this deal isn't profitable enough for EA.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »