Home

Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series

This is a discussion on Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Speak for yourself. If I came home and Jesica Alba and CJ Gibson (google her) were on my bed it would be ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!
convo for a different forum on a different site, but I'm certainly not saying you wouldn't do it... just that it wouldn't be as good as you'd imagine. the story would be better than the act. and to bring this back on topic before i get killed by the mods, lol, the idea of the two games being combined is better than it would actually be if it happened.

i know you've played a lot of both so you could probably see what i mean if you think about it while you're playing. a lot of the things that are great in one game would take away from some things that are great in the other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #26
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Mind you I have only purchased 1 Madden game in my lifetime (07 for the 360) yet trying to manually control a specific player, just didn't seem as fluid as it did in 2k Series
In NCAA it was better. Momentum wasn't nearly as tugboat-heavy as it was in Madden. The example I used most to describe it is being able to do an across the grain run. The back step, coupled with the ability to use the defenses momentum against them, made for a lot of creativity in the open field running game. Also made for good manual control on WR/DB battles. But a lot of times that was too domineering, as players w/good stick control could make average WRs look like world beaters. Also the player interaction sucked hard, which took away from the positives in NCAA imo.

One of the things I ab-so-lutely loved in 2K5 was the WR/DB interaction. DBs would "feel" for the receiver while head tracking back to the QB - great stuff. The ability to have your DB play inside/outside/straight up on a WR. Really looking forward to seeing what VC has done to expand on that.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #27
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Mind you I have only purchased 1 Madden game in my lifetime (07 for the 360) yet trying to manually control a specific player, just didn't seem as fluid as it did in 2k Series
I have never played madden on the 360 or PS3 so I cant comment on manually controlling players in those games, but on the PS2 it is more fluid IMO than 2k was. I hear most people say that manually controlling players is not as good on the 360 and PS3.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The ability to have your DB play inside/outside/straight up on a WR. Really looking forward to seeing what VC has done to expand on that.
For 2k9 I'm hoping the change it though. I want them to do something that nobody has done with these type of things. I'm going to type the idea up and send it to them.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Great gameplay, graphics, animations, and presentation
Next gen 2K sports graphics have left me underwhelmed. too hit & miss for me.. Not having the NFL lic is the greatest thing to happen to the hardcore fan who doesn't want NFL censorship, since all they care about is their image.. To the point of hypocrisy.. EA is not allowed to show a player get injuried in real time during a play? If the NFL sees that as bad pub why even show football period.. It happens. It's part of the game.. Maybe 2K can bring back the fun in football since the NFL ties the developer hands as to what is acceptable in a NFL football game...

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytercel
There's a lot to say to 2K's gameplay. Personally, I can't believe there are so many who hardly touched this franchise. I'll credit this series as the sports game that changed how sports games are viewed and played. When this game appeared on the Dreamcast, there was nothing...and I mean...NOTHING remotely close to what the team at Visual Concepts accomplished. I guess that's why Madden never appealed to me. When Madden appeared on the PS2, I already had a full year of 2K that was played at home. The original 2K that was released in 1999 still displays better animations, sound, and presentation than the current release of Madden. Crazy, isn't it?

What else kept me glued to this series? Well, when I decided to pick up 2K1, it was a slew better than the original. They added many new animations, options, and game mechanics that justified my next 39.99 purchase, also...while the original NFL2K changed sports gaming, NFL2K1 reinvented console sports by adding online play. It was the first console sports game to ever be played online.

Then 2K2 came out. Even though the DC was proclaimed dead, VC still released 2K2, while also adding new animations and AI logic, and expanding the online play to include win/loss ranks. That was an odd time because they offered PS2 and Xbox versions that expanded even greater than the DC offerings.

Then...8 short months later from the PS2 and Xbox verisons of 2K2 releases, they released 2K3. 2K3 offered an expanded animation system, more in-depth franchise, weekly highlights, pregame...halftime...and endgame highlights, ESPN presentation, more indepth running game, and nextgen graphics (for that time). While the game was slightly flawed (to some) with the catching abilities of the recievers, I've seen people online really know their football stuff with this game. It didn't feel cheap like 2K5 seemed to online. However, the game was a pure simulation of football...especially for its time.

Then, 2K4 came out. 2K4 introduced a graphics engine that was built from the ground up. It offered many new animations and expanded on gameplay, and increased the ESPN presentation to a whole new level. In fact, the graphics were so enhanced, I can't believe that they accomplished this in one short year. If you play 2K3 and then 2K4, you'd almost think it was a 4 year progression. Seriously, play Madden 03 and then 07 on the original Xbox, and tell me the "differences" in gameplay. Then, play 2K3 and 2K4 on the Xbox. Which game can you tell me evolved the most? Also, First Person Football was offered.

2K5 was then released. This game was expanded to take control of the original Xbox's power (something EA has never done). The game simply shines on the Xbox. With special renderings and lighting only on Xbox, full halftime replays where Berman calls play by play, a new momentum system, new tackling system, gang tackles (which I think were offered in 2K4...and still yet to be offered properly in Madden), expanded weekly shows that offered full replays of other games played, while also including your games played (it's cool to see your game make it in the show...the real play too), new presentation featuring Berman and Kolber in 3D polygons, new ESPN overlays. Lets not forget. VC also takes use of the PS2's harddrive to allow PS2 users the ability to see the full motion recaps that the Xbox offered. Since the HD was only offered in FFXI, they could have left the feature out, but nope, gave you one of the few reasons to have a HD for your PS2. All of this for a mere $19.99 (Thanks to the Madden fans who wouldn't touch this series, this was a steal for me).

So basically, this is why I kept with the franchise. Instead of spending 50 dollars and wondering what I really got for it, each year offered me a new experience. As soon as I started playing my new game. it was always evident what was new and changed. It felt like playing a new game, and each year, I couldn't wait to see what was added. VC seems to be glued with their gameplay offerings, while EA is more glued with added features. I hope this helps.
very good take on the series, and that still just scratches the surface. and you are right 2K on the DC flat blew away anything released to that point. it changed the game.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #31
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Madden doesn't get enough credit for it's weekly Newspaper and Radio show feature during franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFan
I've spent most of my console football time playing Madden, and my time has been fairly limited with 2k football games.

I think overall it's great there's a new football game coming out because, as most of us know, competition in a genre usually brings out innovations and new concepts, whereas being the only dog in the game can make a game lax.

For the uninformed (like me), what did you guys like the 2k games that was absent in Madden?
then theres this Video: Right Thumbstick Running Tips!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »