Home

Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series

This is a discussion on Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series

I've spent most of my console football time playing Madden, and my time has been fairly limited with 2k football games.

I think overall it's great there's a new football game coming out because, as most of us know, competition in a genre usually brings out innovations and new concepts, whereas being the only dog in the game can make a game lax.

For the uninformed (like me), what did you guys like the 2k games that was absent in Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Differences you see in the Football 2k series and Madden series

Great gameplay, graphics, animations, and presentation
Old 04-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFan
I've spent most of my console football time playing Madden, and my time has been fairly limited with 2k football games.

I think overall it's great there's a new football game coming out because, as most of us know, competition in a genre usually brings out innovations and new concepts, whereas being the only dog in the game can make a game lax.

For the uninformed (like me), what did you guys like the 2k games that was absent in Madden?
Better atmosphere/presentation, more player interaction, better gang tackling, overall better running game (especially between the tackles), and a passing game that rewarded taking a more natural dropback or stepping up in the pocket instead of constant backpedaling and throwing w/o setting up.

I'd say those were the things 2k was much better at. I think other aspects of the game could be argued, and there are also areas where Madden had 2k beat, such as franchise mode depth.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to start a Madden/2k argument. There's some very passionate people on this board looking forward to this game not because it's an alternative to Madden, but because it's a continuation of the 2k series. I'm just trying assess what everyone liked about it.

I just don't want this to become another rant thread.

Last edited by WVUFan; 04-21-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFan
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to start a Madden/2k argument. There's some very passionate people on this board looking forward to this game not because it's an alternative to Madden, but because it's a continuation of the 2k series. I'm just trying assess what everyone liked about it.

I just don't want this to become another rant thread.

i will try to be brief but for me these are some key things"

VC manages to cram an insane amount of animations into their games. no bs i still see a new one here and there, or at least i havent seen it it so long i dont remeber it. every slider tweak seems to open up more.

-player interactions:
you run into your own player and may get one of many animations depending on the situation, ball carrier pushing him in the back, or hoping around him, getin skinny, the guy ran into may stumble forward, sideways, fall, or put both hands down to regain ballance.

-if a lineman is engaged in a block, and you hit the hole, if you run into the defender, you and your linemen shove him to the ground.

-gang tacklin, i cant over emphasize how varied this is, soooo many difrent senarios unfold for me to go into detail, but i have seen some sick gang tackles. guys flying all over the place, trying to hold on the the ball carrier. a defender can start by grabing a ball carrier by the shoulders, end up around his waist, then trying to hang on to a shoe. when help comes its appreciated.

-reciever bobling passes, recover then make the catch. and the satisfaction of seeing this unfold and creaming the reciever with a safty while he is trying to regroup and grab the ball.

-seeing all the realistic player interactions going on away from the ball ( just have to see)

-DL's jumpinp up in the air at the line to block a pass across the middle, and seeing a OLman sometimes shove im on his a$$ while he is in the air.

-when running you can choose to run, sprint, or brace for a powerfull move. lowering your shoulder attemps to plow ahead for an xtra yard.

-the review system is sweet, challenges are well done. you can challenge weather the QBs arm was moving forward when he was hit and lost the ball.

-ive had some plays happen on the fly that if you saw on video youd think it was a scripted promo.

-qb drops and roll outs...................right stick moves, and chaining them........
realy man i could go on and into more detail, but this post would get LOOOOONG......lol......

the biggest complaints on the game has always been that some DB animations created blown coverage sometimes. post routes were considered too easy. and franchise had flawed trade logic.

Last edited by TeeDogg; 04-22-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

chained animations shouldnt be understated either.
the animations link to each other and are able to branch into diffrent animations on the fly. what i mean is:

take a simple one on one play, the defender meets a ball carrier and grabs him. from there depending on player input and ratings, diffrent things can happen, leading to the next link.then the next. so on and so forth, throw in another defender who can inerupt the animations and cause another animation. its hard to explaine, but its more than just players meet and animation is triggered = play over. or players meet animation triggered = tackle broken.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Banned

Geekboy's Arena

OVR: 5

I've seen tons of different animations in 2k5 that EA could never approach.

I say 'never' because they don't feel the need to compete with anyone.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Just the flow and overall feel of the game play. For me playing against the 2k AI was a lot more fun than playing against the Madden AI. Both are fun multiplayer experiences.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »