Home

i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction

This is a discussion on i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #49
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
okay, how's this for explaining things then
rice = bmw
you see a normal bmw racing on some made up track you think "okay, a bmw racing on a nice looking track. Is it nuringburg? (candlestick) nope. Is it where the Raiders play? nope. Wow, so what is going on?

Okay FF to my idea. You have Jerry Rice playing on park X you name, park X where you've customized, and park X where you've made everything YOU wish it was to be. Now, maybe that's candlestick, maybe thats Oakland Coliseum, or maybe it's wherever the heck you want it to be. The point is, its your franchise, it's your choice, and its your ideas up there as to what the focus is.

In games like Forza or any other racing game, there is a Subaru and any other car. What separates Forza from another game with a baru or BMW to another game with the same cars are both the gameplay at customization. I can have an Impreza in most games. I can have an exotic car in only a few games and possibly even one only or two games. However, being able to put that exotic car (legend) in my own setting and create my own fantasy around it is essential to the full experience of it, not just having Jerry Rice catch a TD catch for my sharks in the championship bowl against the rhinos, or whatever else generic ideaolgy the've come up with.....
I'm not knocking forza or any racing games... the more of an experience you can create, the better the racing game. But in terms of gameplay there aren't many variables. You're driving. Some games can bring you closer to the real experience of driving but there still are only so many different options. Sports (I'll say team sports to not suggest that racing isn't a sport) games require A LOT more to create realistic gameplay. When it comes to a team sports game I'd rather they just put them in a lot with the same tee shirt and shorts if it could perfectly mimic real life. With racing games, the other things are more important b/c what you're actually doing doesn't alter all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I agree with the original poster. The appeal of playing with Legends isn't JUST their names, but their teams. The irony is that, playing with Barry Sanders but NOT in a Lions uniform is, oddly enough, generic. Maybe they did it solely for the name recognition so that they could generate sales. But either way, the concept of these legends sounds ironic and contradictory.
They're doing what they can, man. I'm sure they'd rather put Barry in a lions uniform but that's impossible. Honestly I doubt this game would even have legends if they could use the NFL teams so maybe they wouldn't rather put Barry in a lions uni, but it is what it is. The game is about creating a team in an imaginary league. That's the best that it can be.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #50
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'm not knocking forza or any racing games... the more of an experience you can create, the better the racing game. But in terms of gameplay there aren't many variables. You're driving. Some games can bring you closer to the real experience of driving but there still are only so many different options. Sports (I'll say team sports to not suggest that racing isn't a sport) games require A LOT more to create realistic gameplay. When it comes to a team sports game I'd rather they just put them in a lot with the same tee shirt and shorts if it could perfectly mimic real life. With racing games, the other things are more important b/c what you're actually doing doesn't alter all that much.
well, with all due respect, i disagree with the idea that there are less gameplay variables. I'd say there are just as many if not more in many ways. Weather has to be treated in a lot more detail than in sport games, the cpu AI has to be tweaked just as much, damage model and specific to parts of the car, tuning, your own car's handling, acceleration, etc for each model and style of car, track layout, etc etc....

Then on top of that are all the visual tweaks and customization. I think you simplify racing too much. We aren't talking burnout here, but whatever i guess. We'll agree to disagree
Old 05-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

They're doing what they can, man. I'm sure they'd rather put Barry in a lions uniform but that's impossible. Honestly I doubt this game would even have legends if they could use the NFL teams so maybe they wouldn't rather put Barry in a lions uni, but it is what it is. The game is about creating a team in an imaginary league. That's the best that it can be.
Yep...they are doing what they can.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 5

From the info so far, it's hard to say whether or not we'll be able to edit out some of those whack team names. I don't know what they were thinking on the 2K forums, but some of those names were/are just plain awful.

I was in Gamestop earlier and some guy was reading the GI article. I asked him what he was reading and he said "The new 2K football." Then, without being provoked, he added "Did you see the uniforms? Man... they look bad. Are they serious?"

If past 2K Football games with create-a-team are any indication, the answer could be yes. For sales sake, they'd better have at least a decent uniform editor.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #53
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I agree with the original poster. The appeal of playing with Legends isn't JUST their names, but their teams. The irony is that, playing with Barry Sanders but NOT in a Lions uniform is, oddly enough, generic.
The game is a tough sell regardless. But wouldn't Barry seem just as out of place in a Dolphins or Packers uniform? Joe Montana to me will always be a 49er, not a Chief. It may be a plus there are only fictional teams in APF because it may make it easier to accept players playing together from different eras.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The game is a tough sell regardless. But wouldn't Barry seem just as out of place in a Dolphins or Packers uniform? Joe Montana to me will always be a 49er, not a Chief. It may be a plus there are only fictional teams in APF because it may make it easier to accept players playing together from different eras.
very true
Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #55
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I hear you...but I guess that's my point. Barry Sanders, to me, is ONLY Barry Sanders in a Lions Uniform. The fun of playing Johnny Unitas is seeing him wear the number 19 in a Colts uni, not playing for the "Baltimore Sharks" who's colors are black and red.

To me, you put the guy in a different uniform, and it's just in name only. It becomes generic, and I feel like I'd be better off controlling a random player named Barry Simmons rather than Barry Sanders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #56
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I hear you...but I guess that's my point. Barry Sanders, to me, is ONLY Barry Sanders in a Lions Uniform. The fun of playing Johnny Unitas is seeing him wear the number 19 in a Colts uni, not playing for the "Baltimore Sharks" who's colors are black and red.

To me, you put the guy in a different uniform, and it's just in name only. It becomes generic, and I feel like I'd be better off controlling a random player named Barry Simmons rather than Barry Sanders.
And I hear you. VC's really in uncharted territory with this game so it's difficult to say with any certainty one direction is better than the other. As far as these players playing in settings we're not familar with... I think it's our own romanticized visions that keep us from accepting stars in some alternate setting. Perhaps this isn't the same, but I can watch Reggie Bush high school highlights and enjoy them without knowing the teams playing, the history, etc. I knew nothing of Oklahoma State until seeing Barry there (not a big college fan).

Getting people to accept the "Baltimore Sharks in black and red" is a hurdle in itself. Personally if VC can offer me something Madden/NCAA can't in the way of gameplay/overall game experience, I'll have no problems playing the game just as I have no problems watching a great player being great in a different setting

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »