Home

Does 2k have legend exclusivity?

This is a discussion on Does 2k have legend exclusivity? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
G*t'ch* G*m* *p!

Tilted Brim's Arena

OVR: 7
Question Does 2k have legend exclusivity?

I was just wondering if 2k had an exclusive contract with all or some of the legends that has signed up to be in the new game. Because if so then that could have major implications against EA in the future.

Imagine this whenever the day 2k is able (hopefully) to make another NFL licensed game that they have the EXCLUSIVE right to add the legends as well. And I don't mean the 1988 49'ers with a number 88 with no name on his jersey and unmatched attributes.

Better yet if they're thinking from a marketing or get money frame of mind they could release two games. One just like All Pro 2k8 with the legends and fictional players and another one with NFL Players.

Once again for the record I'm a glass is half full kind of guy, so it's quite possible that I'm letting my optimism cloud reality. Oh well just a thought........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 17
Re: Does 2k have legend exclusivity?

im pretty sure they have exclusivity with the legends they signed.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Legends may see the success of the game and desire a bigger cut of the pie. Plus 2K would have to resign a new contract about every year probably. If they have it locked down while they get their new game, then that would be a killer addition. What legends did Madden have in their game? We can compare.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

I would hope 2K was planning ahead, and had them sign contracts that included a multi-game deal, say 2K8 and then another game for "x" amount more money.

Even better? A deal, while non-exclusive, that allows them to pay again and again for the image/likeness of the player. That way EA could only hope to match 2K by including the "Legends" also in future versions of Madden, but not prevent 2K from having a APF 2K9, etc.

You know, this could get EA to include classic teams and stadiums, with players actually named instead of just numbers, but they would be in actual NFL uniforms with the real teams. Which, I admit, would be pretty cool.

This would mean, at best, that 2K would have a game with legendary players and WE type custom options to counter Madden-with-Legends.

I doubt EA does much of anything, until the success of APF 2K8 is known, and the exclusive deal would be nearing it's end by then anyway and we can only hope it gets opened up again.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Until EA can create a Madden game (or roster update) without any missing "active" players, they should stay away from the Legends stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

I'm gonna take this thread on a slight divergence.

As far as the NFL license goes, what if EA wants the exclusive again, but can 2K manage to get the NFLPA license? Subtle, but HUGE difference for a game like APF. Then you'd have the current players, and could add in Legends to the team.

Sure, you'd still lack the actual NFL team names, logos, stadiums, etc. To me that makes much less difference than having players you instantly know/recognize. Hence the value of having the NFLPA license.

Of course, if the NFL goes exclusive for another five years, then they should add massive custom options anyway.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

My hunch is if the NFL goes exclusive for another x amount of years you will see All Pro Football turn into an NFL style game similar to WE. Yeah they said they are not trying to do that, but if survival becomes the primary impetus then they'll do it.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
My hunch is if the NFL goes exclusive for another x amount of years you will see All Pro Football turn into an NFL style game similar to WE. Yeah they said they are not trying to do that, but if survival becomes the primary impetus then they'll do it.
I agree and I don't think they necessarily said they're not trying to do that. Winning Eleven wasn't a fully customizable console game coming out the gate. It's really confusing why anyone thinks this is a small task. They're doing what they can with what they have and trying to sell games. As they get results and can do more, I'd be surprised if they didn't move in this direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »