Home

Saw this posted on the 2Kforums

This is a discussion on Saw this posted on the 2Kforums within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #73
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Saw this posted on the 2Kforums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
Here's the catch: 2K Sports released the trailer to spark interest and help increase sales. This was an official trailer - not some gameplay snip - which means that their marketing department carefully designed it to maximize the impact of their product.

It's a business decision, and that's what we reviewed: the impact of that decision.

If you don't think that's valid commentary, that's your option, but there are plenty of people who are interested in they industry of gaming that do.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you continue to do so.
The commentary was valid to me. I just think that 2k is known for this and we all know it. They have underwhelmed before with trailers and marketing in general.

Let's be honest, 2k is known for it's gameplay. Judging the trailer is tough because it shows zero gameplay shots (2k's mistake).

Saying you are reviewing it as a business decision makes sense to me. I just wanted to thnk reviewers wouldnt be affected by it as much because they know the biz and know how 2k drops the ball when it comes to this stuff.

I'll definitely continue to read your stuff, as will everyone here I am sure.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #74
Rookie

Dynamite's Arena

OVR: 8

Now, people are jumping to conclusions in this thread, calling people out for being positive about the trailer, about being negative/bashing the trailer.

This is what I'm going to say: There is no way that trailer could have met the expectations for this game. No matter what, this is still the spiritual successor to 2k5, a game many heralded as the best football game ever. People were expecting a seriously beefed up version of that with any and every question answered. The dearth of information before this trailer only served to heighten anticipation, and this affected the perception of their trailer negatively.

"...but why they can't let the music be what it is is anybody's guess..."
Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #75
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
Yes - it's a conversation, and a piece of opinion writing. It's even labeled as such. Opinion writing isn't balanced and impartial. I'm not suprised that people are upset.

I am surprised that people can't debate like adults, and immediately resort to accusing us of being paid off or a fanboy or an idiot.

(Actually, having been Forum Admin for ages, I'm not that surprised. )

I think they have a huge uphill battle to win purchases outside of the readership of this forum. If that trailer is from old builds and shows the game off so poorly and is completely unreflective of the final product ... yeah, it's an "epic blunder". They really can't afford to screw up like that.
agree 100%. but i think back to 2k. i didn't know anything about that game until i saw it in a store window. i think the success of this game will be squarely on the shoulders of the word of mouth of people that have played it. doesn't mean the marketing should depend so much on it but at the end of the day, i think that's the case. if this trailer is the first of more to come, no big deal. it being an "official" trailer on the 2k site is bad marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I then would have to ask what exactly they dreamed of accomplishing with using older portions of the game for the debut of a trailer that represents their return to the football scene. It just doesn't make sense.

I would say the trailer does some good things, but unless you sit and watch it with the intention of looking for specific things, it appears average at best.
don't know man. i think it's fine for gametrailer or other spots but they should be more careful with official video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

In reference to the trailer, compared to what EA put-out(MADDEN 08 Debut Trailer) I'm not sure why APF is taking such a hit: (APF V Madden 08 Trailer Video)

Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #77
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

lol, don't know about those statistics
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
lol, don't know about those statistics
Yeah, I don't either, but in reference to both videos, not sure why APF is getting killed
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think that the skinny player models are throwing everyone off. If the models were better, I don't think that people would be down on it as much as they are. LBzrule said that VC can fix this if they want to, so let's just hope that they want to. If not, as long as they fixed a lot of what was wrong with 2K5 and didn't introduce new "killer" problems, I'll enjoy the game.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
In reference to the trailer, compared to what EA put-out(MADDEN 08 Debut Trailer) I'm not sure why APF is taking such a hit: (APF V Madden 08 Trailer Video)
It's not exactly fair, but it's because they took too long. If back when they announced the game they said "Oh by the way, here's some video" and then gave us that, there may have been some slight disappointment but most people would've been fine with it. They let it go on too long and let people hype themselves into believing that it was going to be something that made Madden look like Intellivision Football, and of course many wound up disappointed when they actually got to see it.

The final version may look better, it may not, but as long as the gameplay's still great I'll be very happy with the game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »