Home

What I don't get about the timing of this release.

This is a discussion on What I don't get about the timing of this release. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: What I don't get about the timing of this release.

they dont wanna waste any more time or $ on a small market game...with the NFL license alot of people WONT buy it...they are projecting pretty lousy sales figures regardless of how the game is....so why waste anymore time, energy and money on a probable loss

but hey im still excited!!! go all pro
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
Rookie

i meant to say withOUT the NFL license
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #11

OVR: 34

I think one of the things 2K has done right is nail the release date. the problem is NCAA is showing some signs of looking like a damn good game, while APF is nowhere to be seen.

They knew not to run alongside Madden, but I doubt they'll even be able to run alongside NCAA. There's still a few weeks before release, so if they hit it hard soon, things may change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

I just recently received my MBA and with my studies i kinda think I understand why they releasing the game now(or i assuming this is what 2k is thinking)

2k invested money and time in this project for years even though they were not hard developing they were still using time & money to think of ideas. 2k was probably very iffy on the company football future after this year and decided that instead of waisting the time and money we did with this game lets get something out and if it turns out that we the company are able to keep developing past this year we have a product to build off.

The car industry does this all the time we had many case studies on GM and Ford developing a vehicle for 5 years and instead of scrapping the project they decide to put it out and if the car becomes popular good if not they hope to break even. Buick recently did this with the Rendezvous and Ford with the 500.

That being said I think they are trying to keep their name relevant so releasing this game this year may help for the Buzz of Next year. Instead of risking that there may not be a chance next year to develop this or a chance of losing even more buzz in the gaming community or to show the NFL a large body of work when it comes for a chance for them to attempt to bid for the license.(APF08,09,10)

I don't know for sure I'm no genius i'M speculating like everyone else.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Don't forget, they don't stop selling the game the day after it's released.

This could support either side of the coin (release near the other games, release at some other point of the year) but it seems like everyone is brainstorming with the idea that they have to sell all of their games the day it's released.
True, but the marketing of a product usually dies down or becomes none existant shortly after it's release (could be a few weeks or months depending on the prodcut). Either way, it is unlikely you will hear or read much of anything about either of these games come November or December.

Look at movies. I saw trailers for Knocked up several times a day before it came out, now, not so much, even though it is still in theatres. They might still show them occasionally, but not at the rate they were leading up to its release.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
Rookie

2k could have benefitted GREATLY by coming out 2 weeks before ncaa , hell , id even say 1 week . releasing 1 day before ncaa does NOTHING and is simply dumbfounding. it just doesnt make any sense.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
When I first heard 2k was going to release this game, I figured it would be incredible because they potentially had more than a year to work on it. Turns out, that's not true and they haven't been working on it for years. Now, it seems it's rushed out missing modes like franchise, not raising the bar graphically (or even being close to 2k games like MLB and the upcoming NHL2k8), and lacking in presentation.

What I don't get is why did they feel they had to release the game this summer? Why not take another year working on this thing and release it next year? Especially if the future of it is based on the success of this one. Imagine how much they could with it if they worked on it for another entire year. They could add franchise, work on the graphics, work on presentation, etc. and then truly blow every one away with a football game that was 2 years in development (something the competition doesn't have the luxury of doing). It's been this long already without a 2k footbally game, what difference would 1 more year have made, if it would have resulted in a stellar game? I just don't get why they basically rushed this thing out this year.
I don't think the company was willing to invest an another years worth of resources(devs, money etc..) on a game that may not sell well no matter what it included since it doesn't have the NFL license.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I don't think the company was willing to invest an another years worth of resources(devs, money etc..) on a game that may not sell well no matter what it included since it doesn't have the NFL license.
i agree

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »