Home

What I don't get about the timing of this release.

This is a discussion on What I don't get about the timing of this release. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: What I don't get about the timing of this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
I really hope you were joking on that comment....

First off Microsoft has sold over 10 million plus systems, and PS3 is still somewhat selling, there are quite a few in the households.

And I assure you, there are at least half of those millions of people who are sports fan and will be picking up APF. They will sell more than a million or 3.

They just really need to start pushing the advertisements before the game release. And especially a few weeks of the Madden Release.

Because you can bet you arse, EA will be pumping ads and commercials out the woo haa!!! Months before Madden release. 2k needs to get on the ball and seriously. If they take this product seriously.....They get that marketing out ASAP and not just online, magazines, commercials, and store popups and ads showing it coming soon!!!! Alot of sports fans just need to see the word football, and notice its not madden, to take interest. After that, they need to see footage...alias Commercials. And a few screenshots of the finished version in its highest resolution. Floating through magazine and ads. It will definitely sell.
I want 2k8 to be as highly successful as the next person, however....1-3 million or more in sales??? Not even in the most of remote circumstances.

They are losing the largest target market audience by not making it for ps2 and xbox...that right there eliminates about 100 million people right off the bat.

To think that 1 in every 4 or so next gen owners buys this game is cosmic.

It will be less than 500k, even willing to bet less than 100k in my opinion.

However, what I am interested in is what is 2ks goal? I know they said if this isnt successful, this is the end of football for them.

Just curious as to what they deem a success, versus what we deem a success.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

you guys are thinking too much. the thinking was, "what the hell do we have to lose?"

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 6

money.... And the fact that if this game isn't successful the NFL will believe they made the right decision going with EA and the football liscense exclusivity will continue. Thats why this game has to succeed, because we as games do not benefit from exclusive liscense in any sport., but alas it will probably continue, bc for me 2k has not done anything to make me think this game will be better than Madden or NCAA this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #52
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Personally we could debate all day and night. But its up to Visual Concepts, Take-Two and The entire 2ksports team to make this a successful game.

2ksports is very stupid, if they really wanted to hurt EA, they could have done something along time ago. One thing would be to do everything they could to create a code for ESPN NFL 2k5 to work BC, and then add more teams via XBL. So people could have a full 32 teams to mimmick the NFL players and teams. Forcing us to have legends per team is kinda bad.

And if they really need to get the NFL to recognize them, they need to push a hellavu lot of marketing items, commercials and ads. Just as EA does every year. EA didn't get big based off word of mouth. EA got big, with insane marketing and peoples drooling over ads and commercials.

2k can grasp a large part of the market, if they would put the info out there for all to see, not just internet buffs like us...

I don't like the timing on this release, because the hype and the thirst for the game, is only by minority. Not majority of gamers. Not enough people know about it. And you can bet your arse GS and EB games aren't going to push APF, they are programmed each year to push NCAA and Madden...as if they are getting a bonus check or something....
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #53
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
And you can bet your arse GS and EB games aren't going to push APF, they are programmed each year to push NCAA and Madden...as if they are getting a bonus check or something....
Good post, but I think you might be over-generalizing about the part about EB/Gamestop. I've got 3 local EB/Gamestops, and here's what goes on....

1) Many of the guys at my local EB's are big 2K fans who also buy Madden/NCAA. They have been talking up APF2K8 alot.

2) EB/Gamestop is programmed to push Madden??? I can tell you from managing an EB 10 years ago that every marketing space is bought and paid for by game companies. You get weekly marketing directives from corporate telling you what has to be in the end caps, windows, etc. EB sells in-store marketing space, and frankly speaking there's some pretty average (or worse..) game companies as well as the big boys (like EA) that buy space, so I don't think it's too terribly expensive when you consider some of the complete joker companies that sometimes by space. So here's my point- EB doesn't play favorites in the marketing realm. You buy the end-cap space and send standees, etc.., you get your stuff there. Of course...this lends itself to the obvious question... "Why hasn't 2K done a darn thing to market this game, buy end-cap space, show videos, do more previews, do FREE developer blogs on their site..or basically do ANY marketing whatsoever at this late hour???" But I'll tell you- at my 3 local EBs...the employees offer the reserve list for both APF2K8, Madden, and NCAA when they see a sports game fan.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #54

OVR: 34

Quote:
I don't like the timing on this release, because the hype and the thirst for the game, is only by minority. Not majority of gamers. Not enough people know about it. And you can bet your arse GS and EB games aren't going to push APF, they are programmed each year to push NCAA and Madden...as if they are getting a bonus check or something....
I think the people at GameStop are programmed period. They are given sales goals for every day and the pressure is there to sell, period. If they can sell you a Sega Saturn, they'll do it. Sure, it's easier to sell Madden and NCAA, simply because of their popularity, but whatever it takes to get to that goal, they're going to do it.

I'm not sure there is a better time to release the game. If Madden meets the hype they are building this year, and in many cases I think they will, that game is going to ride right through the NFL season, selling like the proverbial hotcake. For 2K to release APF after Madden would be a huge risk.

You're right though, the bottom line is 2K's ability and willingness to promote this game in a way that will grab the attention of the everyday GameStop visitor. And, with the glass stickers of Madden/NCAA plastered all over the cabinets of GameStop, and the towering EA Sports racks, it's an uphill battle.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #55
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

If only 2k had some of the people from this internet forum to run their company

They'd be rich

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #56
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't know if their brainwashed/programmed to sell EA games or their just going off the annual hype that surrounds the game every years. All I know is that I went in to buy NBA 2K a few years back and they damn near wouldn't sell it to me because he thought I should get NBA Live. He flat out told me twice I didn't want that game and then asked me another 2 or 3 times if I was sure that was the game I wanted...Now I've purchased several 2K games from these stores and that was the only time something like that ever happened, but it just sticks out to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »