Home

The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play

This is a discussion on The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play

Right now I've gone with 2 guys on the DLine, 2 LBs, 2 guys in the secondary....

and then a QB, WR, RB, and 2 TE....using both golds and a silver on defense giving my team some balance
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

The key to a balanced team for me, is to build an minimalistic offense and stout defense.

Gold (Montana/Young/Elway) Silver (Cunningham) Bronze(Dave Krieg)
Silver - Ricky Waters
Bronze - Tom Rathman (or Hodge)
Bronze - Dave Metzelarz (sp)

That's all I need to run an 80's west coast offense. Far/Near/And Split Backs.
you keep 2 potential runners in the backfield both that can catch and get 5.
You can send one of them in motion and the Defense won't know if it's run or pass. Giving you Matchup exploits against everyone online.

Defense can't sell out right or left. Both players can attack the flats and force the LB's into coverage. The MLB and SS are left with the TE, the WR's are looking at 1 on 1 coverage. You don't even really need anything better than a Bronze QB to run this. You can motion out RB's on Streaks to exploit mismatches against Generic LB's

I like to have a mobile QB because it adds that extra option. If the Te and Rb's are covered that means the middle is wide open to scramble.
You can force the defense into Nickle and Dime coverages against your base offense or Base Zone's that will open up the running game. Clock Control passing game and Running against zone's is how it works. Since you can get away with not having much on offense to stretch the entire field, you can create a monster defense (7 Defenders, 2 of them Gold even) and have an effective offense with many options that people don't see often.

WCO is short drops so you don't need an offensive line and you don't worry about who they have on their Dline. A pass blocking center is the only Olineman you should ever have to take.

You don't need to pick up a WR, and that's an extra spot for the defense. Set your WR's to Possession since they'll be doing mostly short routes and your QB's aren't bomb launchers. Personally I like to lean on a better defense than I do offense, because I'm no good at D

Realistically I can move the ball with 1 silver and 3 bronze.
Leaving me 2 Golds , 2 Silver, and 3 Bronze for the defense. You can make the front 7 from Hades with that. Or a Monster Dline with Safety coverage, or a Killer Secondary with Above Average LB's

It makes sense in this game to invest in an offense centered around TE's because there is no Gold SS, and no one takes 2 Gold FS's
Old 08-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike01
There really is no one formula. Endless possibilities, really. I personally think a TE is pretty crucial, gives you blocking and receiving in one player.
Yeah for blocking it's really nice if you get a BULLDOZER attribute which only 5 TEs have:
Ditka (GOLD), Billy Joe Dupree (SILVER), Eric Green (BRONZE), Keith Jackson (SILVER), and Jackie Smith (GOLD).
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

That is the beauty of the game. No real formula. It all comes down to your playcalling and game style.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Yeah for blocking it's really nice if you get a BULLDOZER attribute which only 5 TEs have:
Ditka (GOLD), Billy Joe Dupree (SILVER), Eric Green (BRONZE), Keith Jackson (SILVER), and Jackie Smith (GOLD).
Green isn't a bad option to pass to either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihategeeks
Green isn't a bad option to pass to either.
Not at all, even if he doesn't have a catching or route running attribute.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #23
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

I try to keep my team balanced and concentrate my scheming on my opponents weaknesses (duh) - this team has worked pretty well so far - won 6 or 7 straight w/ a perfect rating (well except the one plug puller). Most online teams are stacked towards one or two strengths so they have plenty of weaknesses for a balanced team.

Offense
QB Marino (G)
HB Means (B)
WR Rice (G)
WR Moore (B)
TE Metzalars (B)
G DeLameilleiure (S)

Defense
DE Too Tall Jones (S)
DE C. Simmons (B)
ILB Pepper Johnson (B)
CB Barney (S)
open bronze FS/CB Robinson/McDaniel (B)

That last Bronze flip flops between FS E. Robinson/CB McDaniel or FB T.Rathman.

On offense I've been tough to stop with Rice taking up a lot of attention in the passing game leaving Metzelars and Moore one on one on the left side. Marino has that fast delivery to get it out under pressure. Passing opens up significantly when I run Means behind DeLameilleiure and Metzalars early on the left side. Online they always adjust to a 4-4 or a 4-6 to stack the box meaning Rice, Moore and Pete feast on the 3 DBs.

On defense I'm of the bend but don't break philosophy. My DL and LBs are set to run and Too Tall (great against the run) is anchored on the opposite side of Cyde Simmons and Pepper Johnson. Too Tall sees most double teams so Simmons can plow through to the QB - I can even blitz my WLB on pass plays and he eats up a block or comes through off Too Tall's double team. I play a lot of zone coverages (DBs set to cover) with Barney and McDaniel/Robinson set to opposite sides.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »