Home

Tips on Running

This is a discussion on Tips on Running within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Tips on Running

Hey folks. I'm currently sucking it up online because of a severe inability to run the football. I try to call different formations and different run types, but I just can't get anything consistent going, especially versus a 46, which tons of people seem to run online.

Tombsong has posted some very helpful tips on the passing game, and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share their wisdom on the running game.

FYI, my latest team breakdown was as follows (and once you see it, you'll see why it's so frustrating that I can't run!)

G-Lott
G-Payton
S-St. Clair
S-Bethea
S-Maynard
B-Manley
B-Studwell
B-Curry
B-O'Donnel
B-Waters
B-Guy

I even had my generic o-linemen set to "run block." Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Tips on Running

I don't really know if there's a secret to running. I'm pretty good at it and I don't do anything fancy, mostly right up the middle stuff. If you see a lot of 46, call some quick passes over the middle to take advantage of them only having one safety. Might think about ditching someone and picking up a guy like Harper. Once they see you only have one receiver and a bronze QB they'll just stack up and focus on the run.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
I don't really know if there's a secret to running. I'm pretty good at it and I don't do anything fancy, mostly right up the middle stuff. If you see a lot of 46, call some quick passes over the middle to take advantage of them only having one safety. Might think about ditching someone and picking up a guy like Harper. Once they see you only have one receiver and a bronze QB they'll just stack up and focus on the run.
I would suggest, adding a good TE like Eric Green and dump Guy. That way you can use them to block and catch. You really only have two OL listed and one is a bronze. I would think most teams using a 46 would cause them problems regardless of TB.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 07-30-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

and make sure you try all types of running plays from different formations. Not to turn this into another 2k vs. EA post, but there were certain run plays I was afraid to try in this game because I had never had them work before while playing Madden and NCAA. Also, go to practice mode to see where the QB hands the ball off on different plays, learn which defenders your lineman pick up. Using practice mode and experimenting with running plays really helped me get better at it.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Tips on Running

Call on straight-hitting Isolations, Dives and Traps to get a quick block on a d-lineman at the point of attack and run downhill (the Traps execute a double-team block on the d-lineman at the PoA instead). The downside of these plays is that the single-blocked d-lineman or a linebacker that's roaming free near the area can stop the run for minimal gain.

Call on counters and sweeps to try and get linebackers caught in trash (bodies) before reaching the ball carrier. The downside is this allows more time for a d-lineman or a safety in the box to penetrate and tackle the ball carrier in the backfield before he can scrape the edge. However, the edge opens up to a greater extent if the defensive end is pinching toward the inside on the run, making it easier to scrape.

And call on Tosses and Stretch plays if you anticipate d-linemen pinching inside and linebackers run-blitzing inside.

Kruza
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Rookie

sleepychicken's Arena

OVR: 4

You need balance. Someone looks at your team, knows your going to run, and loads up against it. It would be hard for anyone to run in that situation.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

You need one TE and ONE T to run thats it. Both should have Bulldoze ability if running is your plan.

Then get you some receivers so they have to play the pass also.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Set up your runs with passes if they are in the 46. a good TE will be able to expose a matchup in that formation and open up the D for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »