Home

Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

This is a discussion on Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

^^ exactly
I dont mind them having no ratings, but at least let me KEEP them. Losing my favorite guy everytime I enter the team edit is
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

Yes, the lack of 'personality' with the generics is a negative in the game. They are truly 'generic', and they don't have to be.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Is their anyway 2k can fix this for us by releasing like a update or something????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
You guys are right but I think it just comes with experience. The more you play with your team (without making any changes) the more you will know their weakness and strengths.
And then, once you decide to change the stripe on your helmet, you get to re-learn all of your generics all over again!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3
Talking Re: Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

Excellent points guys! The generic guys at the very least always play the same position, have the same jersey number and the same face, to go with the name, once you learn it. The problem is that they are assigned randomly. It is a crying shame there is no way to edit particular aspects of your team individually, without passing through the whole team creation menu. This is an issue with the crappy User Interface as a whole throughout the game.

For Instance: There is a pool of generic guys who can play backup QB. Some are Balanced, some are are Pocket Players, others are Scramblers. If you switch between them you can see which guys are randomly selected from each pool. Unfortunately they can only be identified by their faces and jersey numbers. There are no names to see until after you finalize your roster and check out your depth chart.

Remember though, this is YOUR team. That means you have to take full responsibility. So it is up to you to put the team together, then examine the actual abilities of your players on the field of play. If you play with a guy you like in any position, take note of his name and number - have a clipboard or laptop at the ready.

Sure, you could go into Season mode or play online and hope for the best... But the fact of the matter is that real coaches, despite what is found in the scouting report, learn what their guys can actually do on the PRACTICE field. In this game, you really truly have to actually take your boys out there and have them hump it to show you what they can do. Real football players usually spend far more time in Practice than they ever do in any actual game. So yes, you must invest time in all aspects of this game.

Is that unfair? Well, it is unprecedented... But from the get-go, if you'll remember, you were forced to build a team. YOUR team, from the instant you first fired up the game. All I'm saying is try to enjoy the opportunity this change in focus gives you for all it's worth. Sure, it could have been easier... We all know that. But you are playing APF2K8... Did you really expect it to be easy?

Red Ronin

PS There is a generic Cornerback named Supernaw - I believe that is a play on "SUPERMAN"...
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

The game was ruined by how completely crappy the generic players are. Not being able to pick more legends leaves far to many holes in key positions, forcing you to have half of your starters be what seems to be mostly sub-70 2K5 rated players is not a good way make a fun game.

I'm not saying a generic should cover Jerry Rice flawlessly, but starting generics should be at least competent enough that you don't completely ignore offensive and focus on defensive opposing generic players.

I just find that the game already tell you what the generics are good at, nothing.

Last edited by Cobra84; 08-15-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DaVe-
Is their anyway 2k can fix this for us by releasing like a update or something????
They can, but whether or not they will is a whole different story... Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the developers have been way too quiet since the launch. With the sales numbers being less than spectacular, I'm afraid that they might just decide to cut their losses and let the 2K8 fans twist in the wind rather than actually support the game. Then again, I suppose I'm used to EA - who never patches anything that's broken in Madden, AFAIK. - So, I guess I'm a bit cynical.

In any event, changing your uniforms shouldn't affect your roster. - That's just broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah. It sucks that you are limited to only eight teams, across all profiles on the Xbox 360. That due to the single roster file, which is prone to corruption. Why couldn't they do this differently? Were they that afraid that people would try to hack the roster files to create super players, with eight Two-Tall Joneses and three Deion Sanders on defense?

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »