Home

EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeover

This is a discussion on EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeover within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeov

The argument that EA won't put out 2 football games because they compete is not valid.

They're no longer competing for marketshare of 2 different companies.

If the development and sales of APF results in a plus of PROFIT - OPPORTUNITY COST, then EA will fund it. (An NPV of above 0)
MONEY is the final factor. You think shareholders care how many football games are on the market?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #26
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
The argument that EA won't put out 2 football games because they compete is not valid.

If the development and sales of APF results in a plus of PROFIT - OPPORTUNITY COST, then EA will fund it. (An NPV of above 0)
MONEY is the final factor. You think shareholders care how many football games are on the market?
They might put out multiple products, but they wouldn't maintain completely separate code bases. They'd ditch the APP2K8 code base and go with the Madden / NCAA one since they already have 2 games running on it. Less work = more $$$. So, while they might release another APF, it would be an APF style game with the Madden engine, thus we lose the biggest that made APF a success and set it apart from Madden, namely the game play.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Knowing EA, they'd do nothing to the APF 2k8 code except add the EA's slogan to intro video. Change the Coverart to EA SPORTS and I guarantee they sell more than 100k.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #28
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Knowing EA, they'd do nothing to the APF 2k8 code except add the EA's slogan to intro video. Change the Coverart to EA SPORTS and I guarantee they sell more than 100k.
But we're not factoring in the costs of maintaining two separate studios. And EA has always shared code between it's various studios, so I don't think they'd allow 2K to operate independently. I agree it would all come down to profitability. I don't know how much it costs to maintain a studio versus how many units a game would have to move, but it would seem to be cost-prohibitive for EA

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
Rookie

TarHeelsUNC's Arena

OVR: 10

Wow, I'm not the only one who's seen "Dr. Strangelove" I guess.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 7

I cant believe you guys are even debating this. If EA bought 2k tonight at 10:00PM........Everything 2K related would be in the trash at 10:01PM.

EA is the business of selling licenses. Not games. And they sure as heck dont waste time on trying to make games better. Let alone support a seperate studio that makes better games.

Why spend one penny on development when all you have to do is slap the exclusive license sticker on the box?
Minnesota Wild
Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

Are you a shareholder? What does money have to do with US the GAMERS getting a better product? What soes it matter if EA can make money on APF?

EA already has ALL the money under the sun. And they still make BAD games.

Who gives a ratz azzzz if APF makes EA money. Doesnt help the GAMERS.
Minnesota Wild
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #32
Th*s F*c* C*sh*s Ch*cks

ezekiel55's Arena

OVR: 26

Gotta love the Strangelove reference

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »