Home

Bitterness continued - the 2nd thread of appreciation

This is a discussion on Bitterness continued - the 2nd thread of appreciation within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
All Star

OVR: 21
Bitterness continued - the 2nd thread of appreciation

Been meaning to get around to creating another appreciation thread filled with some of the little things I feel are underappreciated with APF. It's far from a perfect game, but 2K deserves kudos for doing so many things well with it - and it has tremendous upside. I can only imagine what they might've done if they had the licenses available. You'll have to excuse the Youtube quality; my original capture is actually pretty decent but doesn't look that good uploaded. Most of these are cpu vs. cpu

First up, a nice interception by the safety. It's a routine play, but what stuck out to me was the subtle sideline reaction. After the int occurs, many of them take a step back - sort of like you would see in real life:

Now a different sideline reaction. This one was kinda funny - as the TE makes the catch and barrels towards the sidelines, you see the CB (#20) leap out of the way while the lineman doesn't move much and gets knocked over. There are so many subtle sideline reactions in the game that go unnoticed:

This is a routine incompletion, but I like how Rice tries to adjust to the catch after the pass is thrown.

Another incompletion, but displays the importance of being able to follow through on throws.

Another play where the QB's unable to follow through but you can see how important player interaction is. The QB ducks the initial sack attempt and is unable to follow through on the throw but you can see he's unable to extend his arm as it hits the lineman's back. Also check out how the guard reacts to getting hit in the thigh by the defensive lineman:

This was a pretty cpu vs cpu bomb. Cpu pumps one direction then throws a bit of a wounded duck because of the contact. But the TE is able to adjust to make the cool diving catch. Also love how the DBs head track - it could be better, but when the ball's on it's downward trajectory 2K did a great job with making players "look" to see where the ball is:

The Youtube quality sucks - sorry

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Bitterness continued - the 2nd thread of appreciation

Great videos. Never enough appreciation thread for the playing football game of all time.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

The head tracking by Rice is beautiful. God this game is amazing. After playing the most recent alternative offering, I just can't help but come back to this game with awe. What I wouldn't give to have these folks make an NFL or NCAA game. Beating a dead horse, I know, but I want my USC and Raiders teams with this kind of play. Beautiful vids, spank!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
The head tracking by Rice is beautiful. God this game is amazing. After playing the most recent alternative offering, I just can't help but come back to this game with awe. What I wouldn't give to have these folks make an NFL or NCAA game. Beating a dead horse, I know, but I want my USC and Raiders teams with this kind of play. Beautiful vids, spank!
Its a damned shame we dont get to see what they could actually do with the NFL rights this gen. Everyone would be far better off.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Its a damned shame we dont get to see what they could actually do with the NFL rights this gen. Everyone would be far better off.
Don't get me started, kcvix. I bought a 360 in part to play what I thought would be worthwhile NCAA and NFL products this year, as it's been a while since I've been able to take the field with my beloved Trojans and Raiders (no laughter, please). As it stands, I'm going to have to be content with rocking Ronnie Lott or Ken Stabler on APF; that's the closest I can get and still enjoy myself. As far as the official games go, I feel like agreed to a date with a cute girl and then she went crazy and anal raped me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Been meaning to get around to creating another appreciation thread filled with some of the little things I feel are underappreciated with APF. It's far from a perfect game, but 2K deserves kudos for doing so many things well with it - and it has tremendous upside. I can only imagine what they might've done if they had the licenses available. You'll have to excuse the Youtube quality; my original capture is actually pretty decent but doesn't look that good uploaded. Most of these are cpu vs. cpu

First up, a nice interception by the safety. It's a routine play, but what stuck out to me was the subtle sideline reaction. After the int occurs, many of them take a step back - sort of like you would see in real life:

Now a different sideline reaction. This one was kinda funny - as the TE makes the catch and barrels towards the sidelines, you see the CB (#20) leap out of the way while the lineman doesn't move much and gets knocked over. There are so many subtle sideline reactions in the game that go unnoticed:

This is a routine incompletion, but I like how Rice tries to adjust to the catch after the pass is thrown.

Another incompletion, but displays the importance of being able to follow through on throws.

Another play where the QB's unable to follow through but you can see how important player interaction is. The QB ducks the initial sack attempt and is unable to follow through on the throw but you can see he's unable to extend his arm as it hits the lineman's back. Also check out how the guard reacts to getting hit in the thigh by the defensive lineman:

This was a pretty cpu vs cpu bomb. Cpu pumps one direction then throws a bit of a wounded duck because of the contact. But the TE is able to adjust to make the cool diving catch. Also love how the DBs head track - it could be better, but when the ball's on it's downward trajectory 2K did a great job with making players "look" to see where the ball is:

The Youtube quality sucks - sorry
Man, it's been a while since I last posted over here, but it's great to be back! You know, you never miss a good thing until it's gone, and my God I miss APF. My crib was broken into back in March, and my 360, it's games, and other items were stolen. So I just purchased a new 360 about a month ago, and bought Madden instead of APF. Doooh!! I've been watching these vids today, and now I got that itch back. I called my friendly neighborhood Gamestop a little while ago, and they have APF used for $9.99. Needless to say I will be picking that up tomorrow. APF is far from perfect, and there is no perfect game, but damn IMO this game is still kicking "the other title's" ***. I was really hoping that with Peter Moore coming over to the dark side that the quality of "that" game was going to lead to major changes. Although I do see progress, IMO it still has a ways to go to catch APF. I know that when the next time I'm in the presence of greatness, I will never take advantage of it again. Just maybe the NFL will wake up and open up the license to everyone...................I know, wishful thinking.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Funny, I just dusted off APF today. I was really dissapointed by how limited the game was when it dropped, so I didn't play it that much originally...but today, me and one of my friends fired up a game with our created NFL teams...my Flippers (Dolphins) vs. his Dogs (Browns). Makes me mad all over again. This game isn't perfect, but it's still so far ahead of the Madden engine, its ridiculous. Just the subtle things like how the QB is animated...the deliberate, "non-videogamey" pace...the feeling of really battling for that 4 or 5 yards...its real depressing. This doesn't feel like a game...it feels like a football simulation. If VC was still making an NFL title, I'd be so excited for the new iteration, the wait would be torture. The folks that do enjoy Madden for what it is are sooooo lucky to still have their game to look forward to. I've had that "OMG I can't wait!!!" sensation stripped from me. I can't put into words how bad that sucks.

EA buying out football is by far the worst occurance in videogame history.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 07-22-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

OVR: 10

Man, simply awesome stuff!! And I thought I was the only one absolutely in awe of the sidelines with full A.I. I've mentioned how the sidelines are awesome in APF to a couple EA football fan buddies of mine and they both said something similiar like "I don't look at the sidelines anyways. I don't give a F what's going on off the field. I only care about gameplay on the field" lol

Thanks for the vids. Can't wait to get play APF again. I will be back on the field Aug 4th when the new 60gb 360 comes out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »