Home

All-Generic Skill Positions

This is a discussion on All-Generic Skill Positions within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
All-Generic Skill Positions

I have a penchant for trying new things in this game just to see if they can work. My latest idea is to roll with a team heavy on the OL and go with all-generic skill position guys. I have noticed that with stonewall lineman, generic QBs can make some decent throws, and I'm wanting to see if I can actually move the ball without legends running, throwing, or catching it.

Has anyone tried something similar, and if so, how did it work for you? I'm deliberating on how best to set up the generics, and would love some feedback on which ones seem to execute for you. I think pocket passer QBs are fine, but I'm torn on RBs--whether to go with speed so I can actually get through a hole, power so I can maybe break 1-2 tackles per game, or balanced.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: All-Generic Skill Positions

Experimentation is what makes this game fun. I'd probably go with a speed back since your line should be opening up a lot of holes. I've found that the generic power backs don't break much of anything, but maybe that's just me.

I've recently been using a team with an all generic OL and a generic running back. I was pretty proud of myself when I managed to hit 100 yards rushing one game. I've tried to go with all generic recievers but they drop the ball so much it pisses me off lol.

I'm off to a pretty rocky start so far, I think I'm like 3-7. I think my record would be a bit better if I could stop people from converting on 4th downs. Nobody ever wants to punt the ball argh.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

I agree, man. I think you can do so much cool stuff with player combos; I just wish more people tried different things. I pretty much see the same thing game in and game out: Marino, Montana, Cunningham; Rice, Berry, Clark; Sanders; Coates, Christensen, Metzelaars; Barney, Woodson, Lewis, McDaniel; Johnson, Norton, Lloyd.

The crappy thing is that it's hard to win when you try something really different, like not having any CBs, 'cause people who know what they're doing will just thrown outs and quick fades when they need yards.

And of course, there's the 4th and short QB sneak .
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

i've been wanting to use all of my legends on the lines, and while i created a team like that, i havent really put alot of effort into making that a really good team. last night i kept messing around with it. first i tried to make the o line a strength, but still have some skill positions. warren moon was my qb (i wont mention linemen's names because i kept changin them) but with four upper tier o linemen, i figured i really didnt need a gold qb (one more stud to use on D). so, i now have mark rypien simply because im really used to having rocket arms. i have two gold and silver linemen (gold and silver t, gold and silver g). im about to finish working on this team right now.

ps. there has been much talk about the ineffectiveness of the blitz in this game but i noticed something testing out my o line. i was working out of the shotgun, with the d on random play. after passing a bit, i simply started dropping back and watching the linemen, not even passing the ball. the d' was using the 3-4 and with a combination of stunts, zone blitzes and db blitzes, applied amazing pressure play after play. my star studded on line was man handled more than i would expect. i would watch the replays and that team (cant remember which one) executed that scheme perfectly. was the psychic linemen addressed in that patch so long ago? i guess you could say they played much more realisticly during my testing. you know how your left guard, for example, might be backpedaling and ALWAYS somehow manage to see the corner blitzing past the right tackle and ALWAYS get there? situations like that hardly i saw at all during my modest practice mode "testing." sure, my legends held their own straight up, man to man. but when the free lineman tried to slide two or three spots over to pick up a blitzer, they got beat quite a few times. but, it was a good thing, you know what i mean?? more realistic. anyway...sorry i'm waay of topic but i thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

We should play, bigdunks, and test our line-based squads. I'm looking at an all-speed burner line so I can execute both inline plays and stretch and pull plays. I think I can make it with a generic QB, but I'm very skeptical that I'll be able to run with a generic RB. We'll see.

About the pressure thing--I think it works differently in online and offline games. People online know they can drop back an unrealistic amount and charge up their cannon-armed quarterback to make good throws that they really shouldn't be able to make. The ineffectiveness of the rush on a long dropback and the overeffectiveness of the rocket arm in these situations is one of the few ways in which this game does feel like a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

i have tried all generic skill QB, TE and WRs, but a silver RB and legend line. you will find if you get the time, you can complete passes. but when you absolutely need yards you will wish you had more than one legend option to go to.

with legend D-lines, you can do a lot, though. you really should not go without a gold / silver LB who can read defenses though or a gold / silver safety with similar

Last edited by Radja; 07-31-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

I just won the first game I was able to complete with this squad by the score of 2-0! I won on a safety in overtime. Hilarious. I went with a bronze RB and a bronze MLB, then every other legend on the lines. My QB didn't play badly, but the guy's D was stacked, and I got 3 bobbled balls picked. What's even better is that I got 5 sacks and 5 picks. Morris Green, my generic coverage CB balled out with 3 PD and 2 INT. I think against any other defensive setup I'd have scored some points on offense, but it was a helluva fun game.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

Good post Trojan man, im going to give it a try. And we need to get a game on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »