Home

On Building A Balanced Team

This is a discussion on On Building A Balanced Team within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
On Building A Balanced Team

I have been thinking and tinkering a lot lately, and I always seem to be aiming to build a balanced team. I might be slightly better at passing than running or offense than defense, but I like to have a shot to succeed at all areas of the game.

I was thinking about some new strategies for this (don't you guys love how 1.5 years later, we are still trying to figure this out), and I was wondering if using the mindset of an NFL personnel guy wouldn't hurt. I enjoy reading the National Football Post, and I listen to Bill Simmons' BS report. So whenever he has Michael Lombardi on, I know it will always be an interesting conversation.

A few weeks back they were talking about building an NFL team, and what the most important positions were, if I remember they said QB -> LT -> RDE (assuming a 4-3), and kind of stopped there. I was wondering how 'successful' it might be to follow that same kind of formula in making an APF team. Does having a Gold QB and Gold LT really mean as much in the game as it does in the NFL or college ranks?

I might have a ranking something like this:

QB, LT, LDE, MLB, RT, RB, DT, S, RDE, C, (OLB/TE/CB)

Although, that seems like it would make my team awfully run-oriented, and almost seem like a waste to have no WRs and maybe a bronze TE. I just don't feel that a WR is essential to the success of a real NFL team, and so I tried to mimic that here.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: On Building A Balanced Team

well a gold QB needs one good WR. trust me, if you run a team with no receiver, the generic ones arent that good route runners. some have good hands but run terrible routes. most successful teams have at least one receiver they can rely on

"Now I do right.. wherever I can manage
The devil was eating me alive but I climbed out of that sandwich"
Cunninlynguist - Doin' Alright
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
I have been thinking and tinkering a lot lately, and I always seem to be aiming to build a balanced team. I might be slightly better at passing than running or offense than defense, but I like to have a shot to succeed at all areas of the game.

I was thinking about some new strategies for this (don't you guys love how 1.5 years later, we are still trying to figure this out), and I was wondering if using the mindset of an NFL personnel guy wouldn't hurt. I enjoy reading the National Football Post, and I listen to Bill Simmons' BS report. So whenever he has Michael Lombardi on, I know it will always be an interesting conversation.

A few weeks back they were talking about building an NFL team, and what the most important positions were, if I remember they said QB -> LT -> RDE (assuming a 4-3), and kind of stopped there. I was wondering how 'successful' it might be to follow that same kind of formula in making an APF team. Does having a Gold QB and Gold LT really mean as much in the game as it does in the NFL or college ranks?

I might have a ranking something like this:

QB, LT, LDE, MLB, RT, RB, DT, S, RDE, C, (OLB/TE/CB)

Although, that seems like it would make my team awfully run-oriented, and almost seem like a waste to have no WRs and maybe a bronze TE. I just don't feel that a WR is essential to the success of a real NFL team, and so I tried to mimic that here.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Some of that applies and some of it doesn't. In this game, it's very hard to get consistent production from generic WR. You can get by with a generic at nearly every other position except WR. I agree with Chumps that you should have at least one.

Like all the personnel decisions in this game, it comes down to what you want to do. Balance is good, I think, as teams may take away your run or pass game, and if you can only do one you're screwed. I like to go with 5 on O, 5 on D, and a K, but that's because I suck with generic kickers.

Regarding the LT position, you can get away with no legend OL and be just fine. However, if the opposition has a stud there and that guy comes to play (you've noticed by now that players play differently every game--some games they're locked in, some games they're not), you can be in for a long day. It can be really tough if Manley or Bethea has a 4 sack day. If you invest at that position, Boselli and Stringer are more than serviceable (you want Jake the Quake at RT, not LT); any of the silvers are gonna give you great production, and the golds will make almost any DE a non-factor. That position is a risk-reward one to me.

At QB, that's a tough call. I rolled with generics for so long that a bronze makes me feel like superman. IRL, you need a stud there because he will need to be able to read the defense, stay poised under pressure, etc. In the game, you're reading the defense, so your QB just needs to be able to make the throws you're asking him to make in your offense. What I did was go into practice mode with several guys and actually measure how far they could throw. Then I made sure that I put the guys who could only get it 30 or so yards down field into offenses that didn't ask them to go vertical all day. And guys that go up top really well typically aren't as accurate on short stuff, so you don't ask them to dink and dunk.

That said, there is a measurable difference between each tier. The bronzes typically can be rattled a little easier, the silvers are a little better. The golds can make all the throws pretty much and several of them have the kind of leadership and moxie to make teammates better, show up big during the 4th quarter, etc.

RDE is crucial, I think. Some will disagree, but for my play style, pressure is the best antidote to a strong passing attack (and most guys online prefer to pass). I think a high pick there will serve you well.

Good luck, and if you haven't already sent a FR, please do; I'd love to play you.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned

My most balanced teams are as follows...

Panthers

WR
LB

QB
DE
DB

HB
HB
DB
SS
WR
TE

Colts

QB
SS

DE
LB
WR

WR
TE
DB
DB
FS
HB

Last edited by s38s38s; 01-10-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Some of that applies and some of it doesn't. In this game, it's very hard to get consistent production from generic WR. You can get by with a generic at nearly every other position except WR. I agree with Chumps that you should have at least one.

Like all the personnel decisions in this game, it comes down to what you want to do. Balance is good, I think, as teams may take away your run or pass game, and if you can only do one you're screwed. I like to go with 5 on O, 5 on D, and a K, but that's because I suck with generic kickers.

Regarding the LT position, you can get away with no legend OL and be just fine. However, if the opposition has a stud there and that guy comes to play (you've noticed by now that players play differently every game--some games they're locked in, some games they're not), you can be in for a long day. It can be really tough if Manley or Bethea has a 4 sack day. If you invest at that position, Boselli and Stringer are more than serviceable (you want Jake the Quake at RT, not LT); any of the silvers are gonna give you great production, and the golds will make almost any DE a non-factor. That position is a risk-reward one to me.

At QB, that's a tough call. I rolled with generics for so long that a bronze makes me feel like superman. IRL, you need a stud there because he will need to be able to read the defense, stay poised under pressure, etc. In the game, you're reading the defense, so your QB just needs to be able to make the throws you're asking him to make in your offense. What I did was go into practice mode with several guys and actually measure how far they could throw. Then I made sure that I put the guys who could only get it 30 or so yards down field into offenses that didn't ask them to go vertical all day. And guys that go up top really well typically aren't as accurate on short stuff, so you don't ask them to dink and dunk.

That said, there is a measurable difference between each tier. The bronzes typically can be rattled a little easier, the silvers are a little better. The golds can make all the throws pretty much and several of them have the kind of leadership and moxie to make teammates better, show up big during the 4th quarter, etc.

RDE is crucial, I think. Some will disagree, but for my play style, pressure is the best antidote to a strong passing attack (and most guys online prefer to pass). I think a high pick there will serve you well.

Good luck, and if you haven't already sent a FR, please do; I'd love to play you.
All good points, Trojan. Listen to this man, he LIVES this game.

And yeah, look for one of us online so we can get a game in. I'm in the process of trying out new teams in anticipation Season 3 (gotta get that advanced scouting in).
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

I remember using this formula that worked well for me, except on super offensive teams:

Gold: QB and RB

Silver: WR, DE, CB

Bronze: G, WR, T, DT, ILB, OLB

What I did that helped me was my "guard" and "tackle" lined up on the same side. This helped my running game, because I was not that familiar with the nuances of the football engine. My receiver combination worked well, because most focused on my silver and my bronze would be making possession catches.

My defense was well balanced with a bend and don't break mentality. Which occasionally broke against super power offenses.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
MVP

studbucket's Arena

All great advice thanks guys!

Trojan, I friended you about 2 weeks ago

If anyone else wants to friend me: studbucket33 on the 360.

I'll tinker some more, run some practices, and see what I think.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Well, I won't be friending anyone anytime soon.

I took my 360 over to a friend's place to do some Gears 2 Horde Mode last night, and I got the red rings...the console is 4 years old and out of warranty, and with the semester starting in 5 days, I am probably not going to spend the time or the money to send it in and fix it. I actually graduate this May and will start work at Microsoft in June, so I'll probably just buy a discounted 360 once I start, so it's not all bad as long as I can be patient

Sorry I never got a chance to play all of you guys, maybe I can do it over the summer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »