Home

Speaking of Substitutions...

This is a discussion on Speaking of Substitutions... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Speaking of Substitutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
I can't comment on his ability to block, but one of the known issues with the game is that WR's often block to well. That's why running out of 4 wides is so easy. As a Gold, especially with leadership, I would imagine he would block well.

I played a guy about 8 months ago who used Maynard at TE and loved to run posts, which were way too effective. And, when he ran, Maynard blocked like he had the "bulldozer" special abililty.
The way I would expect it to work would be a generic DE or OLB would abuse Rice like a Silver defensive lineman would abuse a generic offensive lineman. At least that's how it should work.

You're probably right about the blocking abilities of WRs. There are some instances where WRs can block (big ones like Herman Moore or just tough WRs like Hines Ward, also if the defender takes a bad angle it can result in a solid block). But it's too universal.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
I can't comment on his ability to block, but one of the known issues with the game is that WR's often block to well. That's why running out of 4 wides is so easy. As a Gold, especially with leadership, I would imagine he would block well.

I played a guy about 8 months ago who used Maynard at TE and loved to run posts, which were way too effective. And, when he ran, Maynard blocked like he had the "bulldozer" special abililty.
Rice and Taylor were both very good downfield blockers. That was part of the reason that the YAC yards were there, and it helped tremendously in the running game. As a kid in Cali during the '80s, I used to watch a ton of 49ers games. They weren't Hines Ward types, though; they were more the moving screen types.

That said, there is something weird about how well the WR block. The toss out of the bunch is almost always money because unless you have Dick Lane or another very good corner out there, they lock on to their man and don't let go.

It's annoying that it works that way, just like it's annoying that you can play nickle and dime and stop the run well, but I've made my peace with it.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
I think I have that game (it will take a long time to find it though) but if I don't, can you show that clip because I don't recall Rice playing TE.
I don't have a tape. I am just going off my memory. It was Kevin Smith that locked him up in that game.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Rice and Taylor were both very good downfield blockers. That was part of the reason that the YAC yards were there, and it helped tremendously in the running game. As a kid in Cali during the '80s, I used to watch a ton of 49ers games. They weren't Hines Ward types, though; they were more the moving screen types.

That said, there is something weird about how well the WR block. The toss out of the bunch is almost always money because unless you have Dick Lane or another very good corner out there, they lock on to their man and don't let go.

It's annoying that it works that way, just like it's annoying that you can play nickle and dime and stop the run well, but I've made my peace with it.
The problem with the toss is that the de doesn't have any contain. I line my de on the outside shoulder of the tackle. I also walk down my safety into the box.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I don't have a tape. I am just going off my memory. It was Kevin Smith that locked him up in that game.
I'm going to have to take your word for it. I don't remember it but I have no reason to doubt that you have a better memory than me.

That being said, Rice didn't play TE and didn't line up there with any regularity, if more than once.

I would still give a negative to an opponent for playing him there. There are plenty dominant Gold TE's. No need to make a position switch that does not happen in real life. Thats where I draw the line. Everyone has a different line, I know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Rice and Taylor were both very good downfield blockers. That was part of the reason that the YAC yards were there, and it helped tremendously in the running game.

That said, there is something weird about how well the WR block. The toss out of the bunch is almost always money because unless you have Dick Lane or another very good corner out there, they lock on to their man and don't let go..
Downfield blocking, yes. The Niners and Cowboys did that very well from the WR position.

But, in the case of putting a WR at TE, he should not be able to seal off OLB's, generic or Legend, unless its a blind crack back.

I agree with you that in this game WR's block too well. When there is an "eyes on eyes" one v one blocking opportunity, most any LB should shed the WR easily. Same holds true for Safeties, yet I see WR's locking up Browner as if he's a weakling. I hate that animation.

this is why I hate a Gold WR at TE. You have to gear the entire defense to stop the post and the offense doesn't lose anything in the run game. there should be a huge drop in the run game when a WR lines up at TE
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Downfield blocking, yes. The Niners and Cowboys did that very well from the WR position.

But, in the case of putting a WR at TE, he should not be able to seal off OLB's, generic or Legend, unless its a blind crack back.

I agree with you that in this game WR's block too well. When there is an "eyes on eyes" one v one blocking opportunity, most any LB should shed the WR easily. Same holds true for Safeties, yet I see WR's locking up Browner as if he's a weakling. I hate that animation.

this is why I hate a Gold WR at TE. You have to gear the entire defense to stop the post and the offense doesn't lose anything in the run game. there should be a huge drop in the run game when a WR lines up at TE

I play a cover 3 and then hot route my pass coverage lb on rice. So, I have my gold fs over the top and a silver lb playing man. I found it pretty easy to bracket Rice from the te position. The last person did that quit after ny 2nd int and called me some mean names afterward.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:

I think some wrs should be able to shield block some generic olbs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »