Home

Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period

This is a discussion on Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period

I decided to tweak one of my teams. The biggest change was in creating Jim Brown (6'2" 232 lbs, Power/Finesse, Branch Tackles and Workhorse).

I didn't get any O-Lineman so I figured I would roll with Moose... Good Lord! This guy will take over for your running game. If you haven't used him, take away a silver tier you don't need and do it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period

I agree. I created a team that was a hardcore Power running team, using a Gold Power HB and picked up Moose as a lead blocker/recieving option/FB dive option, and he dominates the run blocking game. EVERY time there was an instant replay because my HB made a big play, you saw Moose make a key lead block to open the hole, sometimes TWO of them.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

He's good, but he'll miss his share of blocks, too, and his hands aren't great.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack

Hence Best Run Blocker....lol...

I tried to hit him on a wide open Corner Route and he dropped it...soft hands my a**!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I find that Moose is best in-line. If you run tosses or sweeps, he will have targeting issues that make him useless.

It's the same with the OL. They frequently just fail to recognize DE or LB who are right there in front of them; it's like they're programmed to target the secondary on plays where you're not just running straight ahead.

I used to run with Moose, but after seeing how many of these basic targeting mistakes he made I just decided the pick was better spent elsewhere.

To the OP's point, though, when he does hit his target he's very good. He absolutely murders linebackers on the lead iso plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I've fonund his hands to be pretty good. He's not as good at longer routes (like the corner) but he can run a flat or slant route out of the backfield and make the catch most of the time. I've even had him run a few designed FB streaks that he managed to pull down for a first down.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 55

It's tough to spend a silver pick on a run blocking FB. I could only see it happening if I had a workhorse or gold (or both) RB behind him. It is just very hard to get production that warrants a silver pick out of that position. Of course it's possible, but it's not easy. If you can get 3-5 receptions for over 30 yards per game along with maybe a couple of carries, I could see the selection justified.

On toss plays Moose really thrives. I've seen him pancake the first guy and spring me for over 10 regularly. If you have that worhorse, grind it out offense, I can see his use. I have a '94 Cowboys team created, and within that STACKED offense, Moose fits in very well. He springs Smith and lets Aikman shred the single coverage everywhere on the field because our opponent has to respect the devastating run game.

With the way generic recievers play, it is tough to justify taking a silver at FB instead of a WR, or ANYWHERE on defense. A generic FB is usable, but a Generic #1 OR 2 reciever is very difficult to use sometimes. It's not impossible but it is far more difficult than the former.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Banned

I may try to see how a generic FB feels after using Moose...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »