Home

Run the ball in the 'PROTECT BALL MODE"

This is a discussion on Run the ball in the 'PROTECT BALL MODE" within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Run the ball in the 'PROTECT BALL MODE"

Hi guys,

Over at the BB boards,we are having good success running in protect ball mode,it's not a total fix,but we are getting some good yardage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Pro

rgp913's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Run the ball in the 'PROTECT BALL MODE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike246
Hi guys,

Over at the BB boards,we are having good success running in protect ball mode,it's not a total fix,but we are getting some good yardage.
I was just about to post this...I'm going to try it out asap...

Here's what the OP on the BB board wrote

"I was up all night trying to diagnose the running problem that has been driving me crazy. I came across something that I'm surprised nobody has brought up. I managed to fix my inside running game the same way as my passing game. HOLD DOWN BALL PROTECT.

I had been almost trained before Greathouse to stay in agile mode so I can make cuts and jukes, but that doesn't work anymore. When you get the ball, you get drilled almost as soon as you get the hand-off in most cases.

If you hold ball protection when running up the middle, it's like the magic buttons to re-open the running lanes. Also, if you should so happen to stumble, just flick the right stick forward and the barge animation will propel you forward.

I've noticed that even if you get hit early like on a blitz, if you are holding ball protection you will not lose yards, in fact, most of the time you will still gain a yard or 2. My YPC before trying this was averaging around 1-2 unless I managed to break out on an outside run.

After trying this for 3 games, my new average YPC is 3-5 yards. I'm getting way more 4 and 5 yard runs, and even managing a few +10 yard runs, all with a silver HB.

I'm almost mad that nobody has mentioned this, and if they have, why wasn't it made a bigger deal? For all the people struggling with the run game...TRY THIS!

After this find, I'm really not sure that we need another patch for the running game. A fix for custom teams would be nice, but I CAN RUN THE BALL CONSISTENTLY AGAIN!"
Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

While it sounds great, I can't agree with this part:

Quote:
After this find, I'm really not sure that we need another patch for the running game.
I mean, after all...The CPU running game is still atrocious.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan17
While it sounds great, I can't agree with this part:

I mean, after all...The CPU running game is still atrocious.
Don't know what he was thinking when he said that,because it is not a fix.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

They are saying this like it helps the carries which you have no chance to get into protect mode before you're slammed. It's like how I try to use it when I come down with a catch, but I don't even have time to do so before the ball is out of my hands (which has become borderline ridiculous).

They need to slim down the players to allow more spacing for us to slip through. That would be a good start.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Rookie

adamgod8's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
They are saying this like it helps the carries which you have no chance to get into protect mode before you're slammed. It's like how I try to use it when I come down with a catch, but I don't even have time to do so before the ball is out of my hands (which has become borderline ridiculous).

They need to slim down the players to allow more spacing for us to slip through. That would be a good start.
Hold protect ball while the pass is still in the air and youll never have that problem

....however, this doesn't work for me when I run...the problem is getting hit in the backfield, this just makes me run slower and doesnt fix anything IMO
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

I experimented with this for a few games. At first I could see no difference at all. Then I began pressing the right trigger and holding down on the right stick right, starting before the ball was being handed off to me.

This seemed to work some for me as with these games I averaged between 40-60 yards a game on the ground. Before I was lucky if I got 20 yards a game.

I don't believe it's really a fix and the game needs a patch. With my player edits (see page 1) I am averaging between 75 and 125 yards a game. If I am run heavy and run the ball 40 times I can usually get 140-160 yards a game. It's the same for CPU controlled running game as well.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike246
Don't know what he was thinking when he said that,because it is not a fix.
Agreed a patch is still needed. I tried out the method and it works , but not for all running plays. The word is certain run plays are simply broken, and only the zone run plays work with some success.

I just stick to the run plays that exsited pre patch, and never call the new run plays that came with the greathouse patch.

Lets just hope a 2nd patch is released.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »